Power Rankings

Okay, back to football => the good news: despite a less than spectacular off-season, the Bengals are ranked 10th in FoxSports NFL Team Rankings.

The bad news: the now-normal lampooning of our off-field issues, and we are ranked 7th in the AFC - that's outside the playoffs looking in.

The link: Power Rankings

From the article:

10. Cincinnati Bengals — What started off as a relatively quiet off-season in Cincinnati got a bit more interesting with recent news that suspended linebacker Odell Thurman was accused of kicking and hitting two men while down in Georgia over the weekend. Here we go again. Of course, this comes on the heels of the Bengals releasing linebacker A.J. Nicholson for off-the-field legal issues a few days earlier. Think those Bengals jokes are corny? Hackneyed, even? Well, the talking heads keep getting fodder to work with. The punchlines write themselves. On-the-field, however, things are a little better. Carson Palmer's leg is apparently at 100 percent full strength. As for any fears about the offense taking a hit with receiver Kelley Washington gone and Chris Henry suspended for the first eight games, a lot will be expected out of reserve wideouts Tab Perry and Antonio Chatman. Chick Ludwig, beat writer for the Dayton Daily News, asked Chatman about the Bengals '07 receiving corps. His response? "We can be one of the best that ever played." Someone alert Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

I think they should do a revision on the Odell story. He has been cleared and hopefully will be reinstated soon. As for the WR corp., they can be one of the best of all time. They have some really great players even without Henry. Then Henry comes back half way through the season right when the Bengals are making their playoff run. This year will be exciting for the Bengals fans. Count on it.

Ok, let me check my calender. Yep, it's still June. While I understand everyone has to put out their power rankings to help sell papers (and do they really?), but can it wait until September when the regular season has finally stated? And does a power ranking in June really impact the final outcome in December? I don't mean to rain on peoples parade, but these rankings are so subjective and not worth noting until the playoffs are decided. Then we can see how bad these supposed "experts" really are.

Been listening to Sirius, and depending on who you're listening to they put the Bengals anywhere between #8 and #10. ( actually I think 9 may have been the lowest. ) Almost all of them also had the Bengals going to the play offs this year as well tho.

Either way I agree that its a little early to be throwing your hands up euther in celebration or despair.

After last season at 8-8 and the glaring holes that were shown to be in need of fixing, I feel a ranking of around 10 to be accurate. I also hope that the offense comes out of the gate sizzling and we climb in the rankings as our young defense shows it is capable of being average or better.

Ok, let me check my calender. Yep, it's still June. While I understand everyone has to put out their power rankings to help sell papers (and do they really?), but can it wait until September when the regular season has finally stated? And does a power ranking in June really impact the final outcome in December? I don't mean to rain on peoples parade, but these rankings are so subjective and not worth noting until the playoffs are decided. Then we can see how bad these supposed "experts" really are.

I really don't see anybody putting too much stock into what these rankings say. Maybe it's just me, but I want to know what the rest of the nation's sports writers think about the Bengals, and enjoy reading other Bengals' fans reaction to their opinions. Like you said, it's still June, so this is just something interesting to talk about in the offseason. I really don't see why we should have to wait until the playoffs are decided to talk about the opinions of national sports writers on our Bengals.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, back to football => the good news: despite a less than spectacular off-season, the Bengals are ranked 10th in FoxSports NFL Team Rankings.

The bad news: the now-normal lampooning of our off-field issues, and we are ranked 7th in the AFC - that's outside the playoffs looking in.

The link: Power Rankings

From the article:

10. Cincinnati Bengals — What started off as a relatively quiet off-season in Cincinnati got a bit more interesting with recent news that suspended linebacker Odell Thurman was accused of kicking and hitting two men while down in Georgia over the weekend. Here we go again. Of course, this comes on the heels of the Bengals releasing linebacker A.J. Nicholson for off-the-field legal issues a few days earlier. Think those Bengals jokes are corny? Hackneyed, even? Well, the talking heads keep getting fodder to work with. The punchlines write themselves. On-the-field, however, things are a little better. Carson Palmer's leg is apparently at 100 percent full strength. As for any fears about the offense taking a hit with receiver Kelley Washington gone and Chris Henry suspended for the first eight games, a lot will be expected out of reserve wideouts Tab Perry and Antonio Chatman. Chick Ludwig, beat writer for the Dayton Daily News, asked Chatman about the Bengals '07 receiving corps. His response? "We can be one of the best that ever played." Someone alert Jerry Rice and John Taylor.

Is that guy kidding me? We are better than the Seahawks, Ravens, Bears, and especially the New York Jets. Has he even seen how easy of a schedule we have? If we don't make the playoffs this year I will be very disappointed. Not one of the last seven teams we play had a winning record. And of those four above us that I mentioned we get to play three of them. I predict at least a 12-4 record and another division crown.

Is that guy kidding me? We are better than the Seahawks, Ravens, Bears, and especially the New York Jets. Has he even seen how easy of a schedule we have? If we don't make the playoffs this year I will be very disappointed. Not one of the last seven teams we play had a winning record. And of those four above us that I mentioned we get to play three of them. I predict at least a 12-4 record and another division crown.

It's pretty unfair to demand that the pundits rank a team that just went 8-8 (regardless of circumstance) above a Superbowl participant, a 13-3 division winner, and two other playoff teams.

It's pretty unfair to demand that the pundits rank a team that just went 8-8 (regardless of circumstance) above a Superbowl participant, a 13-3 division winner, and two other playoff teams.

I agree with you on that I guess, but we will be in the top 5 almost all year, I will bet on that one.

10 is a good start for an 8-8 team. our offense is top 4 at the minimum but having our defense rank in the bottom doesnt look too good on paper for writers. hopefully we can get it to 15-22 and we'll be top 5 most of the season.

The Seahawks are my pick to win the NFC... I don't disagree with them being above the Bengals.

Why Seattle? They were a lousy 9-7 last year, buoyed by an EASY schedule. IMO, their division is a toss-up...which mediocre team wins? Who knows, who cares...

I don't forsee another crappy season from Shaun Alexander, and Matt Hasselbeck should be back to form as well. Most of the same players managed a Superbowl appearance just two seasons ago.

I expect them to walk all over the NFC West.

• 3 weeks later...