Kevin Durant can't bench 185 lbs.

BlainThePain

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/ne...tory?id=2894925

Kevin Durant wowed NBA teams in his one college season at Texas. At last week's pre-draft camp? Not so much, according to a confidential draft camp report obtained by The Seattle Times.

Ford: Is Durant Slipping?

Is Kevin Durant's draft stock in danger of slipping because of his poor performance at the pre-draft camp? Chad Ford says the workout is only a small piece of the puzzle -- and that Durant's performance may have been due to lack of preparation. Blog Insider

According to the newspaper, the report said Durant was ranked 78th out of 80 NBA prospects who worked out at Orlando, while Ohio State center Greg Oden had an impressive workout.

Oden and Durant have long been slated to go 1-2 in the NBA draft, and it's expected the Seattle SuperSonics will take Durant after the Portland Trail Blazers take Oden.

According to the Times, Durant was the only prospect at camp who failed to bench press 185 pounds, and finished behind Oden in some key drills, including the vertical leap, agility drill and three-quarter court sprint.

Oden jumped 34 inches in the vertical leap while Durant jumped 33½ inches, completed the agility drill in 11.67 seconds to Durant's 12.33 seconds, and finished the three-quarter court sprint in 3.27 seconds, ahead of Durant's 3.45 seconds, according to the report.

Durant, however, had a 7-4¾ wingspan, which ranked second among all prospects and measured a half-inch wider than Oden's wingspan.

But Durant's college coach said scouts should not question his strength just because he could not bench press 185 pounds.

"If people question his strength, they're stupid," Texas' Rick Barnes said Tuesday, according to The Dallas Morning News. "If they are looking for weight lifters to come out of Texas, that's not what we're producing. There are a lot of guys who can bench press 300 pounds in the NBA who couldn't play dead in a cowboy movie. Kevin's the best player in the draft -- period, at any position."

I don't think it's that big of deal. Strength obviously isn't that important to his game and he could put on plenty enough strength in one year with a professional trainer if he has to.

:lmao: Durant is trash...I have always tried to tell people that...Oden > durant

:blink:

Oden is the most over-rated, over hyped guy to come into the NBA this century. He should go back to college and learn how to win. OSU got the finals because of Ron Lewis, not Oden. It was no coincedence that OSU lost and Oden had his best game. Every other game they won in the tourny Oden barely played, he has alot of improving to do.

If you think Durant is trash then you don't know anything about basketball. Durant will be #1 pick because pro scouts can see his undeniable talent far outshines Oden's height, Durant is close being 7" btw. Durant is a pure scorer who can easily avg 20 pts a game as a rookie, Oden is just a big goof who looks like LeBron James uncle, all he'll do is block a few shots and grab some boards, nothing special.

gregoden1.jpg

lebron_james-arton21029-240x240.jpg

Seperated at birth??

There is plenty special about "getting boards and blocking shots." Oden has some room for improvement on the offensive end, but he hasn't been getting as much attention as he has for no reason. His measureables compare favorably with Hakim Olajuwan, and he was as productive on the court as anyone figured he'd be.

I find it absurd to state that he needs to learn how to win when he (along with Ron Lewis and Mike Conley) led his team to the final game of the NCAA tournament.

I figure Oden is a slam dunk as the #1 pick, but Durant should still be #2 regardless of his inability to bench 185 pounds.

This is to a big deal. This isn't college anymore, where his off the charts athletisism can get him by. He'll be playing a grown man's game now with grown men who work constatly to get better. Tough defenders like Bowen and Raja Bell will be able to push him around to any spot on the court they want. He'll have to take the long way around to get to the lane because he isn't strong enough to muscle by people, and once he gets into the lane these grown men will throw him around.

And how can anyone say Oden didn't have any impact on OSU making it to the title game. Sure other people stepped up, but with Oden on the floor the other team is constatnly aware of driving to the lane, and constatnly aware of where he is. His offensive game is raw and needs work, but to say a seven footer with his skills is overated is absolutely absurd

There is plenty special about "getting boards and blocking shots." Oden has some room for improvement on the offensive end, but he hasn't been getting as much attention as he has for no reason. His measureables compare favorably with Hakim Olajuwan, and he was as productive on the court as anyone figured he'd be.

I find it absurd to state that he needs to learn how to win when he (along with Ron Lewis and Mike Conley) led his team to the final game of the NCAA tournament.

I figure Oden is a slam dunk as the #1 pick, but Durant should still be #2 regardless of his inability to bench 185 pounds.

Please tell me your not comparing Oden to Olajuwan, Oden's measureable also compare favorably to Micheal Olawakandi.

Oden didn't lead his team to squat, how could lead OSU(he's not a leader, so it wasn't "his" team, if anything it was Conley's team) to the Championship game when he spent more time on the bench because of foul trouble then he did on the court. Imo, OSU played better without Oden then they did with him, Matta sacrificed a championship so he could appease the big fella and get big name recruits in the future.

Regardless of what Durant does or doesn't bench press he is in the running for the #1 pick, or should be atleast. Although Portland has the #1 pick and they passed on Michael Jordan for Sam Bowie, so who knows what they will do.

I think in this situation you have to take the best player available and right now Durant's game is more suited to have success in the NBA more so than Oden's is. Durant can shoot the ball extremely well, he's quick enough to take a defender off the dribble and he can finish, he's a pure scorer.

Oden isn't going to physically over power anyone so his post game will have to be fundamentally sound ala Tim Duncan and it's not. Plus he can't face up his defender and take them off the dribble and his shooting touch leaves alot to be desired. He's not that agressive when it comes to rebounding, there is a big difference between the Big 10 and the NBA. I truly think Oden will struggle to adept to the NBA and he should in college until he can dominate a game and have his team win. But whatever, only time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 5'7 175 and can put up 225, so WTF is this guys issue ?? I'm not the basketball guru (just a lowly Spurs fan) and maybe someone else can answer, but wouldn't not having upper body strength be a detriment when going up against some of the big guys of the NBA ?? Once again, I may be wrong, but I was just curious...

So, "how much ya bench" ?? :lmao:

WHODEY !!!

its not that big of a deal honestly...until he meets up with bruce bowen or another lockdown defenseman thats gonna manhandle him. and for patternmaster to say oden is the most overrated guy in the past 10 years is laughable. he IS the best big man to come out of college since probably shaq as far as raw natural talent. his defense is what sets him apart and so does his height. i love okafor but hes only what 6'10? this guy is over 7 feet and a beast. if portland has any mind at all they will take oden. centers win teams championships, always have. if wade didnt have shaq - no championship like lebron.

its not that big of a deal honestly...until he meets up with bruce bowen or another lockdown defenseman thats gonna manhandle him. and for patternmaster to say oden is the most overrated guy in the past 10 years is laughable. he IS the best big man to come out of college since probably shaq as far as raw natural talent. his defense is what sets him apart and so does his height. i love okafor but hes only what 6'10? this guy is over 7 feet and a beast. if portland has any mind at all they will take oden. centers win teams championships, always have. if wade didnt have shaq - no championship like lebron.

Tim Duncan is by far the best big man to come out since Shaq...Oden hasn't faced any real competition ever and he couldn't even dominate in college were his biggest opponent was 6'9 - 6'10. What do think is going to happen when he faces real men in the NBA. Also he is constantly in foul trouble, so that will limit his opportunities to develop.

If Portland drafts Oden and they have success it won't be because Oden is the go-to-guy, he's not that good yet. He has no consistant offensive move that translates into the NBA. Everybody is in love with his rebounding and shot-blocking but he was playing against a bunch of kids, the NBA is full of men. If you want a rebounder and shot blocker take the kid from BC.

I see Oden avg. 8 pts. and 7 rebs for his career, another Olawkandi or Adonis Foyle. Maybe I'm bitter about the money I lost on the Championship game or I hate how Oden grabs the rim and pulls himself up while wildly kicking his legs after EVERY dunk regardless of the fact that he's 7 f**king tall and should do that on every play vs. some 6'6" college kids, I don't know.

I'm just not as impressed with Oden as everyone else is, I think he could really benefit from going back to college another year or two to develop his game because once you go into the NBA guys don't get the one on one instruction like they do in college and it's easier to do what you practice in a game in college than it is in the NBA because of the level of competition. Hell Tim Duncan, Shaq, Alonzo, Wilt Chamberlin, Kareem..etc..all stayed in college to develop their game longer than Oden and he's not half the player these guys were.

Also did you know that Oden was LeBron's uncle, seriously..

Greg Oden aka Big Flippty Flop

I think Durant's real issue is that he wasn't in the weight room in high school. I have noticed many high school basketball players are hardly ever in the weight room except for a few(Patrick Patterson is beast in the weight room). He spent one year at Texas and that was probably the first time he had ever seen a bench press. I think it would have been smarter for him to spend one more year in college and bulk up. Oden I think should have stayed one year also while the guy has potential he should have took another year to develop his game a little more. Thats just my two cents.