Who will be missed the most ??

ArmyBengal

After all the discussion in the "Sam Adams Cut" thread about other players we lost and what we could have done with the $700,000 we saved (not much in my mind) who would you have liked to keep around the most ??

Tory James, CB (New England)

Kevin Kaesviharn, S (New Orleans)

Eric Steinbach, OL (Cleveland)

Tony Stewart, TE (Oakland)

Brian Simmons, LB (New Orleans)

Shaun Smith, DL (Cleveland)

Kelley Washington, WR (New England)

Marcus Wilkins, LB (Atlanta)

I personally hated seeing Steinbach go. I was NEVER a KK fan outside of a few key plays last season. Tory can get burned all he wants in NE. Simmons' leadership will be missed... Here's to hoping all these loses will net us a handful of comp picks next year !!!

WHODEY !!!

I'd say Brian Simmons. We already had a viable replacement for Eric Steinbach in place, and drafted a replacement for Kevin Kaesviharn. I think it has to be any of those three though.

Simmons played a position at which the Bengals' depth is pretty questionable, and even at his age I think he is still capable of making a positive contribution. I don't object to him being cut though, as it freed up a good amount of cap space.

I dont see losing any of them as a problem....

They've all been replaced and the team looks stronger for it..

For all the Steinbach love I say he made many mental mistakes and he wasnt the greatest run blocker ..Whitworth will be a definate upgrade imo...

Marvin White is a rookie and may eventually be much better than KK. Whitworth may slide into LG ok but he needs time and Levi Jones must stay healthy. The left side was exposed against Dwight Freeney and the Colts. Simmons was OLD and slow. He never could cover a tight end.

Tony Stewart may be the most missed player of all. He did not do anything last year but there are no TE after Kelley.

Special teams will be hurt by losing 2 of the core players. KK and Wilkins were big on coverage teams. Stewart played just okay on ST. He made a tackle once in a while.

After all the discussion in the "Sam Adams Cut" thread about other players we lost and what we could have done with the $700,000 we saved (not much in my mind) who would you have liked to keep around the most ??

I personally hated seeing Steinbach go. I was NEVER a KK fan outside of a few key plays last season. Tory can get burned all he wants in NE. Simmons' leadership will be missed... Here's to hoping all these loses will net us a handful of comp picks next year !!!

WHODEY !!!

Sorry, I'm saying KK. If by 'outside of a few plays' you mean 'KK is the reason we're 8-8 and not 6-10, then I agree, because I recall him icing two games with timely picks. He also played damned well as a backup. I'll go so far as to say that he was our best backup on D by far.

People who diss him forget that he was supposed to be a backup. If you evaluate him as a starter, that would be different, but he still would have been decent. Don't blame him for Tory's blown coverage - the safety still needs the CB to hold the coverage for a few seconds.

Least missed is KW in my book. Not even dressing makes that almost a no-brainer, but when you add the fact that he ain't young anymore with the drops and alligator arms, it's easy.

I think Special Teams is going to hurt the most with Wilkens gone. KK was a good backup and there are lots of them around. I am interested to see if the run D improves this year now that Simmons and Adams are gone. I thought they helped MAKE a respectable run D last year, not create a bad one.

I believe the run D suffers bc of John Thornton, Landon and Caleb. Those guys all seem underweight for their respective positions.

Sorry, I'm saying KK. If by 'outside of a few plays' you mean 'KK is the reason we're 8-8 and not 6-10, then I agree, because I recall him icing two games with timely picks. He also played damned well as a backup. I'll go so far as to say that he was our best backup on D by far.

What he said.

People who diss him forget that he was supposed to be a backup. If you evaluate him as a starter, that would be different, but he still would have been decent. Don't blame him for Tory's blown coverage - the safety still needs the CB to hold the coverage for a few seconds.

Least missed is KW in my book. Not even dressing makes that almost a no-brainer, but when you add the fact that he ain't young anymore with the drops and alligator arms, it's easy.

I agree about KK. 48 tackles, 4 sacks, 6 INT, 1 FF -- for a backup -- plus stellar work on special teams will be tough to replace. Plus, he stepped up when it counted and was a very smart player. I have high hopes for Marvin White, but if he has a year like KK had last year he'll be in the discussion for DROY (wouldn't win, but would be an exceptional year for a rookie safety) and some of the yahoos here would be talking about the second coming of Rod Woodson.

I'd have to say Slammin' Sam Adams. Not as a player, but as a locker room presence. His mantra, "You have to EARN the right to rush the passer" became a defensive rallying cry, and the Bengals improved to the middle of the pack in rush defense in 2006 (15th - only four 100 yard rushers). He was alot less mobile than they hoped, and wasn't a factor in the abysmal pass "D" from last year.

I don't believe this is a case of "addition by subtraction". unless there's a medical reason I'm not aware of. IMO this is Marvin letting his feelings get in the way of smart coaching - giving Big Sam time to latch on with another team.

Our dfefensive line coach is the WORST position coach in the NFL - Sam did a credible job of coaching up Peko, Fanene, et al without undercutting that bum Jay Hayes.

Sam - we'll (the fans and the d-line) will miss you - Good Luck! :sure:

I WHODEY !!!

I don't dislike Tory like some people do, yeah I think he sucked at times but I don't think it was a lack of effort just a lack of ability at his age, unlike Delth who I think has a little Randy Moss in him that he takes plays off sometimes. I thought Tory was crafty at times, he would beat people in their routes sometimes by just being a crafty vetern and I liked his ability to strip people of the football. I wish we could have kept him around at a reduce rate just to help some of these young cb's such as Joseph and Hall recognize formations and teach them how to study film. Out of all the people on that list Tory is the only one that made a pro bowl and he was the top playmaker on that list also. I don't really think any of those guys will be missed because we have capable people in their old roles.

Tory James, CB (New England)- In a perfect world he would have been released and replaced a season earlier. The stready erosion in his skills was impossible to miss, and the lost speed dictated that he take increasingly more chances with ever declining results. For me he'll always be a bit of a favorite because of the good years he gave the Bengals immediately after signing as a FA, but the wheels eventually fall off of every wagon. He won't be missed at all.

Shaun Smith, DL (Cleveland)- I can envision Smith carving out a valuable part-time role for himself with the Browns, but with the Bengals he never flashed the stamina and ability to play meaningful downs. All things considered it took the Bengals about a minute to replace Smith with a better player who makes less than than the Browns offered. He won't be missed.

Kelley Washington, WR (New England)- K-Dub always produced at a respectable level whenever called upon, but the Bengals have too many wideouts who could do everything and more that Washington could. As a result, Washington's departure is as irrelevant as his presence. Not missed.

Marcus Wilkins, LB (Atlanta)- His play on special teams was valuable, but no team can keep a player stashed on special teams forever if he can't help them at his regular position. And on that point, Wilkins never got a first or second look at LB even after that unit was devasted by injury....so it's time to look for a younger player who might develope into something more. That may have happened already, or it may take a few rolls of the dice, but no....Wilkins won't be missed.

Tony Stewart, TE (Oakland)- Special team impact aside, Tony Stewart was a valuable role player who played a position that the Bengals don't value highly. In fact, the Bengals don't seem in much of a hurry to even look for a replacement.

Brian Simmons, LB (New Orleans)- My gut tells me that Simmons was never a Marvin Lewis kinda guy, but was valued for years simply because keeping him was preferrable to trying to replace him. In short, too many other needs were more pressing, and Simmons was a good enough player who was locked up long-term. So he stuck around year after year and in return did nothing of note. But in the end I'm guessing that he'll be missed in much the same way as a person might miss a worn out pair of plain brown shoes.

Eric Steinbach, OL (Cleveland)- Steinbach is almost certainly the most talented player lost as well as the youngest so his departure will always hurt on a certain level...especially if he plays long and well for the Browns. But it's possible he won't be missed much, if at all, simply because his exit was expected and planned for.

Kevin Kaesviharn, S (New Orleans)- The type of role player that every team needs to win, and every team misses more than they expect after he's gone. Frankly, this one still stings, and if his replacements take longer to develope than expected it could actually bite. Hard.

Stieny is the one that we'll miss this season. He is young & knocking on the ProBowl door. But the hoped for high round draft pick as compensation should salve that pain next year. KK will also be missed, but at age 30 his best years are behind him. The others? Easily replaceable and not really contributing to the won/loss record.

I can only envision missing Steiny if the O-Line has a repeat of the injury woes last year. Whitworth is a better pass protector than Steiny, and although a different style, will probably be of comparable value in the running game.

What made Steiny valuable is that he was capable of also playing Center. The Bengals still have question marks there... but you can't pay the kind of coin he was asking simply because he ws able to play there in a bind. I'm guessing that if there is improved play from the Center position (it couldn't get a whole lot worse) and unless there are multiple injuries on the O-Line, most won't even notice he's gone.

Tory James, CB (New England)- In a perfect world he would have been released and replaced a season earlier. The stready erosion in his skills was impossible to miss, and the lost speed dictated that he take increasingly more chances with ever declining results. For me he'll always be a bit of a favorite because of the good years he gave the Bengals immediately after signing as a FA, but the wheels eventually fall off of every wagon. He won't be missed at all.

Shaun Smith, DL (Cleveland)- I can envision Smith carving out a valuable part-time role for himself with the Browns, but with the Bengals he never flashed the stamina and ability to play meaningful downs. All things considered it took the Bengals about a minute to replace Smith with a better player who makes less than than the Browns offered. He won't be missed.

Kelley Washington, WR (New England)- K-Dub always produced at a respectable level whenever called upon, but the Bengals have too many wideouts who could do everything and more that Washington could. As a result, Washington's departure is as irrelevant as his presence. Not missed.

Marcus Wilkins, LB (Atlanta)- His play on special teams was valuable, but no team can keep a player stashed on special teams forever if he can't help them at his regular position. And on that point, Wilkins never got a first or second look at LB even after that unit was devasted by injury....so it's time to look for a younger player who might develope into something more. That may have happened already, or it may take a few rolls of the dice, but no....Wilkins won't be missed.

Tony Stewart, TE (Oakland)- Special team impact aside, Tony Stewart was a valuable role player who played a position that the Bengals don't value highly. In fact, the Bengals don't seem in much of a hurry to even look for a replacement.

Brian Simmons, LB (New Orleans)- My gut tells me that Simmons was never a Marvin Lewis kinda guy, but was valued for years simply because keeping him was preferrable to trying to replace him. In short, too many other needs were more pressing, and Simmons was a good enough player who was locked up long-term. So he stuck around year after year and in return did nothing of note. But in the end I'm guessing that he'll be missed in much the same way as a person might miss a worn out pair of plain brown shoes.

Eric Steinbach, OL (Cleveland)- Steinbach is almost certainly the most talented player lost as well as the youngest so his departure will always hurt on a certain level...especially if he plays long and well for the Browns. But it's possible he won't be missed much, if at all, simply because his exit was expected and planned for.

Kevin Kaesviharn, S (New Orleans)- The type of role player that every team needs to win, and every team misses more than they expect after he's gone. Frankly, this one still stings, and if his replacements take longer to develope than expected it could actually bite. Hard.

HOF, this was beautifully written and I agreed with pretty much all of it. I suggest that you print this one out and frame it, because this is what posts are made of.

I totally agree that KK will be missed more than we think. Even if he does nothing in New Orleans and people point to that as a reason that he wasn't worth anything, he WAS worth a lot to the Bengals organization. To have a backup that is selfless, smart, and consistently performs at a level where nobody notices that the backup is playing is an invaluable thing--especially at his salary. How nice would it be to have him around while grooming Marvin White?

I guess after one "decent" season from KK, the love fest continues. Well, maybe just a few decent plays at the right time... Anyway, i just don't like him and can't say as I'll miss him one bit. I guess all defensive backs can't be held responsible for their sh*tty play because Tory was so d*mn bad huh ?? At least that has been the answer given for almost all secondary deficiencies last season as of late. Tory was not the sole reason for poor play in the secondary (although he took his fair share) and some people just flat out made poor plays. To say it would be nice to have KK to help White is just crazy. Let's have a guy who's never been a starter and when he was didn't do much bring the new guy along. Nothing like mediocrity coaching up the new guys !!! Anyway, I know everyone loves KK and everyone knows I won't miss him in the least, so I'll end this here. Like I said before, there is always that one guy you just won't like regardless and KK was mine. Now that he is gone, Ratliff is the guy to take KK's place in my mind. Ratliff=Turd... Steinbach could play all three positions on the o-line, but yes I get it, we drafted for him leaving and Whitworth should be more than solid for us. I just didn't want to see him go.

WHODEY !!!

I would say Kaesviharn because of his versatility and "want-to" attitude. James obviously lost more than a step in the last year-and-a-half so hopefully he won't be too hard to replace.

I am disappointed that Steinbach is gone but I don't think he ever became the player they had hoped he would. Especially since he was the top pick in the second round when they could have gotten a good player on defense. I think Whitworth proved to be more than able and hopefully he will help shore up the middle of the line.

Never was a big Simmons fan and I am sure they will survive the departures of the others. I just hope the new guys can step up and embrace their roles on special teams.

KK kind of reminded me of Kevin Walter... looked decent when he was in there for short stints but any more than that and his discrepincies would surface...

I noticed for all the money Houston gave Walter he didnt play as much as Cincy used him.. Might be the same for KK in Nawlins!

None of 'em.

Simmons for his leadership, but, wait, under his "leadership" there where, what? 9 guys arrested? That was working.

KK? Come on? For as much as I love the underdog and I certainly liked the 'find,' he was a retreaded teacher from South Dakota. Just revisit his goaline tackling of Alge Crumpler in the Atlanta game, and numerous others. Oh and yes I loved his ints vs Pit, Carolina and New Orleans which arguably won those ball games. But NO will be sorry.

The fact is that the youth that steps in to fill the vacancies created will be better faster and have some very good veteran leadership added around them to help in the rotation for depth and push them.

The old saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Well this defense was BROKE and badly needed fixing. So we get 16 games beginning in Sept to see if these are truly the fixes. My guess is if it still ain't fixed, we are going to see a lot of radical changes next off season. But that is just my opinion.

:bengal:

I'm glad James is gone, seriously major case of addition by subtraction.

Stewart, Wilkins, Washington and Smith can be overcome.

Simmons leadership will be missed but not his playing ability and salary. Steinbach was a good player but wasn't worth the cash, Whitworth will do a fine job. I guess KK would have to be the guy. I never thought KK was bad... He's a great backup and average player overall, that means a lot for a position we were weak at like saftey. Granted we picked up White (who is my favorite draft pick) but he's young and we all saw how injuries at saftey hurt the team in '05... I still cringe when hearing the name Ohalete. I think KK is the biggest loss.

Hopefully they go on to be very productive and get us some good comp picks.