Marvin: Come Home, Odell!

HoosierCat

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why anyone would argue that Henry cost the Bengals the playoffs last year, as HoF addressed, Henry was arguably one of the few Bengals who showed up at crunch time last year.

But, along those lines, Odell's selfishness and immaturity that led to him missing the entire f**kin' season absolutely contributed to them not making the playoffs. Yes, he made plays when he was in there in 2005 (altho, it must be acknowledged, not generally from the right spots), and the bengals CLEARLY could have used that on D last year. Clearly. That he wasn't there to help his team, that he walks the line between one tipped bottle from going away again for another season, that he simply has not been reliable, all of that makes me count to 1000 before putting him within a mile of my mental thoughts for the Bengals in 2007. I really do want them to reduce the players they depend on for success who are anything but dependable.

This may sound harsh for my first post, but its 2007. Stop whining about last year and what could have happened. Odell was a bad ass in '05. OK. He messed up big before the '06 season. Get over it. The bengals sure have. Their linebackers have a ton of talent now. Sure they are young, but they all can play football like its their job. Oh wait, it is. If Odell comes back and makes any sort impact, gravy. But, worry about this year and stop crying about how many more games we coud have won with Odell. If you absolutely need to blame someone for missing the playoffs, blame someone that actually played for the Bengals last year. Try Mr. Saint Louis or maybe even Chad for not showing up in the last three games.

This may sound harsh for my first post, but its 2007. Stop whining about last year and what could have happened. Odell was a bad ass in '05. OK. He messed up big before the '06 season. Get over it. The bengals sure have. Their linebackers have a ton of talent now. Sure they are young, but they all can play football like its their job. Oh wait, it is. If Odell comes back and makes any sort impact, gravy. But, worry about this year and stop crying about how many more games we coud have won with Odell. If you absolutely need to blame someone for missing the playoffs, blame someone that actually played for the Bengals last year. Try Mr. Saint Louis or maybe even Chad for not showing up in the last three games.

Funny how no one ever mentioned Brad St. Loius for the hundreds of times he was perfect on long snaps, but he messes up 1 snap and it is time to replace him. He has actually been one of the most consistent players for the Bengals for years.

I don't understand why anyone would argue that Henry cost the Bengals the playoffs last year, as HoF addressed, Henry was arguably one of the few Bengals who showed up at crunch time last year.

But, along those lines, Odell's selfishness and immaturity that led to him missing the entire f**kin' season absolutely contributed to them not making the playoffs. Yes, he made plays when he was in there in 2005 (altho, it must be acknowledged, not generally from the right spots), and the bengals CLEARLY could have used that on D last year. Clearly. That he wasn't there to help his team, that he walks the line between one tipped bottle from going away again for another season, that he simply has not been reliable, all of that makes me count to 1000 before putting him within a mile of my mental thoughts for the Bengals in 2007. I really do want them to reduce the players they depend on for success who are anything but dependable.

jumping on the nade for his drunkin retarded buddies may be stupid, but not selfish.

It's the very definition of selfish. Allowing himself to get in that situation, when he knew that one more "oops" bought himself a year-long suspension? It doesn't get any more selfish than that.

But, along those lines, Odell's selfishness and immaturity that led to him missing the entire f**kin' season absolutely contributed to them not making the playoffs.

You'll get no argument from me. Simply put, I didn't attempt to defend Odell because I can't. At best, I can make a case for giving him another chance, but in his example I'll go no further.

As for the counterfactual rant (What if...?) all I'll add is that the finale against the Steelers provided the Bengals with yet another opportunity to wash clean all of their previous mistakes and make the playoffs in spite of themselves, but they simply weren't up to the task.

mem...how many posts did people have about Henry's lack of effort and failure to make key catches, etc. during crunch time last year? Even the media would quiz Palmer after he would verbally go after Henry on the field. While he did have his share of big plays for the team, how many times did you wonder if there was a problem after he short-armed a ball or ran the wrong route? I know after he was suspended or was benched, I did.

I can't say he was always there at crunch time last year.

jjak, in december, with everything on the line, Henry showed up. Huge. Put them in position to win the Denver and Pittsburgh games. When few others were doing so.

Yeah, they missed him when he had his suspension. And, yeah, he took heat from CP at one point. But when I look back at 2006, I don't see Henry as the issue in how they came up short. At all.

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the original subject, per the Post, Thurman has completed his required treatment programs...he was in Cincy today for a hearing...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../306010030/1066

Thurman avoids jail for DUI

BY SHARON COOLIDGE | SCOOLIDGE@ENQUIRER.COM

Suspended Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Odell Thurman had a 90-day jail term for a drunken-driving conviction reduced to six days in treatment.

Hamilton County Municipal Judge John Burlew said today he was treating Thurman like any other first-time offender.

Thurman, 23, who is living in Monticello, Ga., where he grew up, also had his driver’s license suspended for six months and was placed on probation for two years.

Thurman was cited early the morning of Sept. 25 after a Cincinnati police officer stopped him on Kellogg Avenue in the East End. A Breathalyzer showed Thurman had a blood-alcohol level of .18, more than twice Ohio’s legal limit of .08, according to reports.

Thurman pleaded no contest to a charge of operating a vehicle while intoxicated and was convicted in February.

Thurman was suspended for the 2006 season because of substance violations. He can apply for reinstatement this summer.

Since his arrest he has completed an in-patient treatment program as well an intensive outpatient treatment, he said in court.

Enquirer sports writers contributed to this story.

:sure: