Two wasted draft picks

The first wasted draft pick I think everybody would agree with me on is taking Jeff Rowe in the 5th round, when you could have signed a rookie free agent that is just as good.

The second wasted draft pick would be Ndukwe, I dont get why everybody in here is saying they like this guy...I watch a ton of college football and I have never seen a worse secondary than Notre Dames secondary that gave up so many yards and so many big plays..I dont know how many times I saw this guy continually getting beat and some people on here say they like him and that means either dont know what they are talking about or saying that because marvin says he likes him either way he still did nothing in college on a very bad defense.....I liked the rest of the picks, Marvin White will be a star, saw a lot of his games.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as far as Ndukwe is concerned, is there such a thing as a "wasted" 7th round comp pick? About 0.002% of 7th rounders amount to anything to begin with. I'm sure the success rate on 7th round comp choices is even worse. If he turns out to be even a solid ST player the Bengals got a steal; if he washes out...who (aside from Ndukwe) cares?

Personally, I like the Rowe pick. The kid's got game and it solves the annual backup derby, in which we can't hang on to anyone of any talent because they don't want to sit behind Carson. The last four 5th round picks were Nicholson, Keift, Mann and Abdullah -- all flops. If Rowe can be a servicable backup, he'll be the best 5th rounder of the Marvin era.

The first wasted draft pick I think everybody would agree with me on is taking Jeff Rowe in the 5th round, when you could have signed a rookie free agent that is just as good.

The second wasted draft pick would be Ndukwe, I dont get why everybody in here is saying they like this guy...I watch a ton of college football and I have never seen a worse secondary than Notre Dames secondary that gave up so many yards and so many big plays..I dont know how many times I saw this guy continually getting beat and some people on here say they like him and that means either dont know what they are talking about or saying that because marvin says he likes him either way he still did nothing in college on a very bad defense.....I liked the rest of the picks, Marvin White will be a star, saw a lot of his games.

I agree with you about Ndukwe he is terrible, I'm a big Notre Dame basher and my best friend is a big Notre Dame guy, the first person he would always point to that was hurting there defense was number 18 Ndukwe. Ndukwe is straight garbage I can't believe Marvin and the gang wasted a draft pick on him, he's flat out lousy. I guarantee Marvin could have gotten that bum as an unsigned free agent, somebody dropped the ball in the scouting department he is horrible. Watch any Notre Dame game against a decent opponent and I guarantee that it's his side of the field that 90% of the time is getting picked on. Ndukwe is Ohalete spelled different.

For one thing 5th + rounders are not wasted,most don't even make their respective team but we seem have some success day 2...The other thing I like both of the picks Rowe is a project backup he has good size he's smart(for a clip board holder this is nice) decent arm str just needs work on his release / working under the center.

As for Ndukwe I like this pick alot for being a 7th rounder has good size and athleticism and really isen't expected to be anything more then a special teamer...if we could get another KK style player that would be great....IMO I think he's gonna be a great special teamer and add solid depth in future years once white is starting ^_^.

I agree with you about Ndukwe he is terrible, I'm a big Notre Dame basher and my best friend is a big Notre Dame guy, the first person he would always point to that was hurting there defense was number 18 Ndukwe. Ndukwe is straight garbage I can't believe Marvin and the gang wasted a draft pick on him, he's flat out lousy

When we drafted Kilmer what was he expected to bring to offense or defense? Nothing he's was drafted to be a special teamer,We have White who is depth / project to start Ndukwe was taken to play special teams.

I wonder how many people thought TJ was a wasted draft pick his first 2 years....

Ndukwe was not selected to help solve the defensive woes the Bengals have faced in recent seasons. As Kazkal said, he has good measureables and is a very raw talent. Doesn't that sound like a classic Marvin Lewis seventh round pick? Bennie Brazell, Ethan Kilmer, Jonathan Fanene, and Casey Bramlet all fit similar descriptions. They took a chance on a player that they felt had a chance to develop into something noteable. He looks like a fine candidate to play special teams to me, and out of a seventh rounder, expecting anymore than that is not fair.

The Jeff Rowe pick can be questioned, but everyone here has seemed to be in general agreement that the Bengals need a long term backup to sit behind Carson. Along with Erik Meyer, Rowe will have the chance to learn the offense in hopes of filling that role for the long haul. The Bengals can't limit themselves to taking defensive players everytime they're on the clock.

It's hard to call a 7th rounder a waste; if Ndukwe can even help on special teams, it will be a terrific pick. I don't know anything about him...but I'm not going to cry over Mr. 2 picks from Irrelevant

I could not disagree more about Rowe. He will need a little work, but he has what it takes to be one of the best backups in the game, and was our best day 2 pick IMO.

I am an avid Fighting Irish fan and watch every game that is on tv if I do not have to work. The last couple of years the Irish have had the same problem on defense as the Bengals have. They are a feast or famine defense. They have to rely on turnovers to be successful. Both the Irish and the Bengals have Offenses that don't stay on the field for extended periods of time therefore the defense is on the field a lot, and unless they are very deep the starters get tired and thus give up big plays. Neither the Irish or the Bengals have been known for causing teams to very many 3 and out possessions. Ndukwe is by far not a star, but if he was, he wouldn't have been there in the seventh round. Everyone keeps saying he sucks because he played for Notre Dame's defense, YET many people on here wanted the Bengals to draft his teammate Tom Zibikowski if he was turning pro. Both Ndukwe and Zibikowski played in the same Irish secondary that sucked...but I guarantee that next year Zibikowski will not last past the second round in the draft. Ndukwe will make the Bengals because he has good speed and can hit harder than Jones. That is what Marvin wants...guys that will smack opposing players in the mouth.

Yeah, I've seen lots of good undrafted FA QB's. Suuuuuuuure.

As far as killing a 7th round pick, that's like saying the kids in the special olympics suck. Of COURSE they do. That's why they're there! If he didn't suck, he'd have been drafted earlier!

Really, you expected a safety capable of single-handedly shutting down the types of teams that ND plays, by himself, and that such a guy would be available in the SEVENTH ROUND?

Come on. Hell, I'm glad they drafted him because it'll be great cheering for a guy who is destined to end up with the nickname "Dookie".

The thing that bugged me about the Rowe pick (aside from the fact that there were several far better-known QBs available at that spot, not that that means anything) is that we've had several young QBs (Bramlet, Meyer, the Craig Krenzel Experience) who seemed to have performed well enough prior to being cut in favor of the veteran guys who all of a sudden have fallen out of favor. I thought Bramlet was a decent backup -- and a 7th rounder. Is Jeff Rowe going to be better?

The thing that bugged me about the Rowe pick (aside from the fact that there were several far better-known QBs available at that spot, not that that means anything) is that we've had several young QBs (Bramlet, Meyer, the Craig Krenzel Experience) who seemed to have performed well enough prior to being cut in favor of the veteran guys who all of a sudden have fallen out of favor. I thought Bramlet was a decent backup -- and a 7th rounder. Is Jeff Rowe going to be better?

I agree here I thought Bramlet would have made a nice backup for many seasons. I dont think Meyer has been given a chance yet and now they have Rowe also.

Yeah, I thought Bramlet got hosed in their rush to love them some sucky OSU quarterback, but be that as it may, I am fine with the Rowe pick. They just need to go ahead and commit to him rather than casting him aside first chance they get...

Yeah, I thought Bramlet got hosed in their rush to love them some sucky OSU quarterback, but be that as it may, I am fine with the Rowe pick. They just need to go ahead and commit to him rather than casting him aside first chance they get...

Totally agree. I still don't know why Bramlet odd man out in the backup QB derby. I never saw him play bad enough to warrant being dropped at the time. If they had kept him, I think he'd be a better option right now than thos of the Wright/Johnson ilk.

I dont think Meyer has been given a chance yet and now they have Rowe also.

I must be missing something... They cut Meyer last August, didn't they?

He's not on the '07 roster.

last time i checked there have been some pretty good undrafted qb's, how bout kurt warner didnt he win a super bowl and mvp?

Ndukwe will be gone by next year he stinks

I could point to 60 QBs in the NFL in 1999 that could have won an MVP in the Rams' offense.

Is Akili 1 of them?

last time i checked there have been some pretty good undrafted qb's, how bout kurt warner didnt he win a super bowl and mvp?

I could point to 60 QBs in the NFL in 1999 that could have won an MVP in the Rams' offense.

Is Akili 1 of them?

No but Klinger is... B)

Neither the Irish or the Bengals have been known for causing teams to very many 3 and out possessions.

God, I'd give my left nut for the Bengals to get one of those types of defense to go along with the existing potent offense. Cincinnati would own the league if that came to pass! :bengal:

The thing that bugged me about the Rowe pick (aside from the fact that there were several far better-known QBs available at that spot

you think there was a better choice but I'll go with Marvin & Co.

Totally agree. I still don't know why Bramlet odd man out in the backup QB derby.

Well things aren't looking good for him this year either since redskins took jordan.

Can you name another QB who was undrafted and won MVP?

I can't believe this thread is now two pages long and nobody has bothered asking which undrafted QB's were better.

I can't believe this thread is now two pages long and nobody has bothered asking which undrafted QB's were better.

I just can't believe the thread's two pages long, period.

I mean, if the most you can complain about is a fifth and (comp) seventh round pick, then it must have been a pretty awesome f**king draft, eh? :sure:

I thought Bramlet was a decent backup -- and a 7th rounder. Is Jeff Rowe going to be better?

I think Bramlet looked better on paper than on the field. In fact, the longer he was with the Bengals the more they seemed to cool on him....and you can't really say he's done anything since that makes their decison to cut him look foolish. In short, for a young player at that position if you're not constantly getting better you're vulnerable.

Last, one of the most attractive things about drafting a backup QB is the length of his contract. If Rowe can make the roster this season he can put an end to the endless parade of marginal veterans signing 1 year contracts.