Justin Signs Franchise Tender

By comparision, this year's tag will cost $8.6 million and next year's about $9.5 million. That's "just" $18.1 million for two years.

Actually if we tag Justing again, he is assured at least a 20% raise over this year, no matter what happens with the value of the tag. So it would be about 10 million.

But they still might do it, if they value what Justin brings and don't see enough from the youngsters we've drafted.

I'm a Justin Smith fan, I love what he brings to the table, but he's not worth 10 million a year. Yes, he's the best player on the defense, but what is that really saying considering the defense was ranked 30th overall last season.

Maybe if we didn't have so much turnover on at the lb position or a DT with two healthy legs Justin wouldn't have to make EVERY play. Besides out of his 110 tackles, how many of them were for a loss? I would rather my DE have 50 tackles with 15-20 of them being TFL's instead of 110 tackles but 85 of them are 5+ yards down field.

I'm a Justin Smith fan, I love what he brings to the table, but he's not worth 10 million a year.

Probably not, but OTOH who is? FA is as much a matter of timing and luck as it is a reflection of actual performance. And right now, without Justin our DE lineup in '08 is Geathers, Rucker and lots of question marks. And they didn't take a DE to groom this year. And they're looking at ~$30 million in available cap space next year. So WTF, pull the trigger.

Besides, if they didn't the Bengals would probably just blow the $10 million in cap space by bringing in 15 aging vet DTs... :wacko::lol:

I have to give him credit for not complaining... Granted the SOB held out in the beginning so I don't feel bad for him not getting a long term deal.

I like him, he's a solid DE but I really didn't/don't see him getting a long term deal.

Frostee will be tried out this year to see if he can fit the role, Pollack might move to DE, I just don't see him in the future.

I have to admit that my own opinion about the wisdom of tagging Smith a second time has evolved from thinking that it wasn't something that should be considered under any scenario to accepting the idea that it's increasing feasible. And not having any cap impact beyong 2008 is attractive for plenty of reasons, not the least being the idea that Smith, a DE who has routinely played more than 95% of all defensive snaps, is going to potentially have more wear on his body than most DE's.

As for another season in "cap"tivity, I don't get the same feeling that the Bengals are approaching this season as they did the last as there aren't as many core players that are approaching free agency.

Madeu may be the only "want to have" besides Justin. If Justin is on the list.

Ratiff may be gone this year, I don't see us making a huge effort to keep.

Landon and Miller I think are in the KK category - like to keep them, won't pay big bucks for them.

So maybe the tag is just to put off signing Justin a year until there was more cap. Better him being miffed than one of the men protecting Carson. I don't see the future planned replacement we have as with Whitworth, unless that was Rucker and he delayed it by getting hurt. The cap hit this year is what it is, we don't have any more people to get. Even if negotiation lasts past July and the Cap Hit for JS is the 8 mil, well so what.

Plus I don't see the Bengals as thinking that not having cap room is so bad, as long as you have filled your gaps. They sure seem to be able to find some good talent without paying a lot of money for it. Maybe not stars, but decent players. If they could only keep them all standing for an entire season...

I'm a Justin Smith fan, I love what he brings to the table, but he's not worth 10 million a year.

Probably not, but OTOH who is? FA is as much a matter of timing and luck as it is a reflection of actual performance. And right now, without Justin our DE lineup in '08 is Geathers, Rucker and lots of question marks. And they didn't take a DE to groom this year. And they're looking at ~$30 million in available cap space next year. So WTF, pull the trigger.

Besides, if they didn't the Bengals would probably just blow the $10 million in cap space by bringing in 15 aging vet DTs... :wacko::lol:

30...we alrdy have 15 on the team.

Madeu may be the only "want to have" besides Justin. If Justin is on the list.

I'd like to see madieu get extended long before FA.

oh wow, guess i didn't take the time to look at her face...i've googled that chick up and down. probably the best rack in the world? :cheers:

And exactly ZERO booty to back it up with. I checked her out. Rack is nice though. B)

..................oh yeah...............JUSTIN SMITH ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bengal::bengal::bengal:

FA is as much a matter of timing and luck as it is a reflection of actual performance.

Right on. Definitely seems that way -- at least now more than ever before, with the cap rising at such an insane clip. This being the first offseason under the new CBA, I think we saw some unusually crazy money being thrown around -- things will settle down over the next few years as the money gets spread around to more and more guys. Once-outrageous $10 mil contracts will be will be "mundane". If the Bengals want to keep Smith, they will have that ability. It's probably more a question of whether he's the kind of player they will want to feature over the next 6 years or so. We'll see...

FA is as much a matter of timing and luck as it is a reflection of actual performance.

Right on. Definitely seems that way -- at least now more than ever before, with the cap rising at such an insane clip. This being the first offseason under the new CBA, I think we saw some unusually crazy money being thrown around -- things will settle down over the next few years as the money gets spread around to more and more guys. Once-outrageous $10 mil contracts will be will be "mundane". If the Bengals want to keep Smith, they will have that ability. It's probably more a question of whether he's the kind of player they will want to feature over the next 6 years or so. We'll see...

True indeed, but it doesn't sound like Smith is confident that a long term deal will get done...

I’m a one-year-at-a-time guy,” said Smith, who has sold his house and plans to rent. “It’s their team, their money and they have the right to spend it how they want. I’m just trying to get better and make the Cincinnati Bengals better. You’re going to get what you’re going to get. Whatever the market is and I’m not trying to go above the market.”

I hope they keep Smith, he's the type of player this defense needs more of. Hobson has a damn good article on Bengals.com, here my favorite quote from Smith talking about last season..

“We basically blew it and if we can get our act together, who knows what we can do?” Smith asked. “To me the encouraging thing is I thought we played poorly at times and still had an opportunity. That’s a pretty good mark of an incredibly talented team. If you can mess up as much as we did, make as many mental mistakes as we did, and still make it almost not once, but twice, that’s a pretty good sign. If we can get everything to fall into place like it has been, who knows how far we can go?”

It's good to hear a player "keep it real", hopefully everyone in PBS feels the same way and uses last season as motivation to get better.