Things I Have Not Missed This Offseason

membengal

1. Daily updates on Carson Palmer's health

2. Speculation about locker-room fights with coaches

3. Speculation about which drug houses a certain LB allegedly was visiting

4. Wondering about why anyone would wear their jersey while commiting a crime

All of which is to say, now that the draft is done and mini-camps looming, there is a lot that is positive about this off-season, simply by noting what is not occuring.

As a baseline, I am looking forward to my first camp story about how freakin' good Carson Palmer looks. We simply cannot begin to fathom how hard it must have been for him to get back last year, and along with that, how much he missed not getting his regular off-season throwing in. I am guessing, now 15 months removed from the injury, that he will look like a stud in mini-camps and that the much needed work with the receivers will be on the plate. Just hearing about that will be cool.

There is a lot to look forward to as we move toward camp, not the least of which is the dark cloud of bad luck that hung over the franchise from the moment CP's injury occurred in January all the way through to the lost last two games of the season should be lifting. Time for some good fortune to flow the team's way. A fully healthy CP will be a big part of that good fortune.

1. Daily updates on Carson Palmer's health

2. Speculation about locker-room fights with coaches

3. Speculation about which drug houses a certain LB allegedly was visiting

4. Wondering about why anyone would wear their jersey while commiting a crime

All of which is to say, now that the draft is done and mini-camps looming, there is a lot that is positive about this off-season, simply by noting what is not occuring.

As a baseline, I am looking forward to my first camp story about how freakin' good Carson Palmer looks. We simply cannot begin to fathom how hard it must have been for him to get back last year, and along with that, how much he missed not getting his regular off-season throwing in. I am guessing, now 15 months removed from the injury, that he will look like a stud in mini-camps and that the much needed work with the receivers will be on the plate. Just hearing about that will be cool.

There is a lot to look forward to as we move toward camp, not the least of which is the dark cloud of bad luck that hung over the franchise from the moment CP's injury occurred in January all the way through to the lost last two games of the season should be lifting. Time for some good fortune to flow the team's way. A fully healthy CP will be a big part of that good fortune.

I'll drink to that.

Just wondering about #3 though - is the speculation over because we now know which crackhouses Odell was visiting? ;)

There was an article several weeks ago tha mentioned how relieved Palmer was to be working on fine tuning his footwork, passing technique, and beard growth rather than spending 6-8 hours a day rehabbing his knee. The importance of that can't be overstated because as strange as it sounds to say that a QB who threw for 4000 yards had an off year...but that's what I'm saying. Palmer can be so much better.

As for Perry, I'll repeat my concern that the Bengals are rapidly approaching a point where years into his career they'll have to make a final decision about Perry without ever knowing if he could really play in the NFL. Obviously you can argue that the Irons selection is proof that the decision has already been made, but I get the feelng that the Bengals will do almost anything that will delay the inevitable.

Finally, we've beaten the character debate nearly to death so there isn't much to add. That said, where's the media criticism of Denver's draft? Exactly half of that teams draft picks have a confirmed history of marijuana use, including their 1st round pick. Considering the way Maurice Clarrett blew up on them wouldn't it be hard to claim that the Broncos have the programs in place needed to keep their players out of trouble?

That said, where's the media criticism of Denver's draft?

http://www.sportsline.com/columns/story/10157404

Ask & ye shall receive...

Fair enough. I was surprised by how few of the so-called character risks actually fell on draft day. Some did of course, but most didn't, and it seemed to me that teams actually took character risks like Lynch, Moss, Merriweather, and Wright either higher than anticipated or without any penalty. And all of this happened without the media seeming to care. (Yet.)

The horse is long since dead so there's no reason to keep whipping it, but I've always said that the Bengals are no different than other NFL teams. And I guess that even after all of his children were given a stern lecture by Daddy Goodell they still aren't.

So true.

Last offseason was just sucky, I actually like how uneventful this one has been. It's nice how little the media has focused on us, no SB mention and only lingering off field problems mention.

I'm surprised there hasn't been that much talk of Carson as the MVP. I REALLY like his chances this year. I honestly thought he played below average for him last year and he still almost had 30 TD's haha

There was an article several weeks ago tha mentioned how relieved Palmer was to be working on fine tuning his footwork, passing technique, and beard growth rather than spending 6-8 hours a day rehabbing his knee. The importance of that can't be overstated because as strange as it sounds to say that a QB who threw for 4000 yards had an off year...but that's what I'm saying. Palmer can be so much better.

Missed that one. Yeah, more articles like that coming, I am sure. Completely agree with you on Palmer, a remarkable season in 2006, considering the knee and how close in time he was to its shredding, but he was nowhere near as sharp as he will be in 2007, I suspect. Having a full off-season to getting back to honing his craft may make him hella dangerous this season. Which will be a VERY good thing...

Palmer and Rudi both had down years (for reasons not entirely their fault). I expect both to be big in 2007. Add to that the usual production from Chad and T.J. and maybe, just maybe an improved defense, and Bengals fans have every reason to be excited.

• 1 month later...

There it is. From Hobson, the Palmer article I have been waiting to read:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6082

I remain stunned at what he got done last year, so close to the catestrophic injury and, frankly, in the middle of his recovery time. 4000 plus yards. All while worried about a knee and dealing with flawed mechanics.

Now? Now the mechanics are back, the knee worry is gone, and, because of that, this team is back to being a threat to win every game that he starts in 2007. Great read from Hobson...

Last offseason was just sucky,

Forget last off-season, the WHOLE SEASON sucked.

I hope the Bengals neva, eva eva eva eva eva, have a season like that again.

That was almost enough to sour me on them for good, but who am I kidding?

Yes it does feel good not hear about the off-season issues and just talk about football...A healthy CPalmer right out of the gate would be great, the timimg with the WR's will already be there and not the 4th or 5th game into the season...I hope that they are more prepared for O-line injuries than they were last year...