Let's all agree Irons will be good

walzav29

Stilllers.com seems think their superbowl bound by their draft and we had worst draft in north and will be lucky to finish above the browns.I <3 steeler fans.

Ugh. Stillers.com. Talk about guys who are complete homers and know less about the true game of football than my 3 year old son. I bet they even collectively think the Patriots have hurt themselves in some way this offseason. I remember when I used to read that site ... and then I realized that they are simply a bunch of typical, ignorant, racist, Pissburgh homers. You may have 'friends' over there ... but that was what I saw ... and left. I say just allow them to wade in their collective yinzer ignorance.

Not to get off topic but I was cheering after the Steelers took Timmons. I think that will turn out to be the worst pick of the draft. Hated the thought of Timmons in stripes; love the idea of facing him x2 a year.

And yeah, they needed a back, what was up wit the Spaeth pick anyway? Woodley was their only good day 1 pick IMHO...

Not to get off topic but I was cheering after the Steelers took Timmons. I think that will turn out to be the worst pick of the draft. Hated the thought of Timmons in stripes; love the idea of facing him x2 a year.

I'd never be more happy to have been wrong. :sure:

Im very excited about this pick because imo it means the end of rudi johnson will be soon. Hes a good guy but hes undoubtedly the weak spot on our offense. Its basically a releif to teams when we run the ball. Marvin Lewis tried to replace rudi with Perry, but a string of bad luck has made that take longer than expected, now we will be set for years with a 2 RB combo of Perry and Irons. They compliment each other perfectly.

Irons wasnt brought in to replace perry. Only in the short term, in the long term Irons and Perry compliment each other much better than Rudi and Irons. Not to mention Rudi will definitly start to slow down within the next few years. Say what you want about him but it always happens when RBs get up there in years and carries.

My guess is that, if the bengals have their druthers, Irons will replace Watson on the roster, giving the Bengals a Rudi-Irons-Perry lineup. But that makes the huge assumption that Mr. Glass can stay healthy. As for Rudi, he will be here through 2009, barring injury. In 2010 he is set to be a 31-year-old FA RB. What happens then, who knows?

In any event, no desicion will be made immediately since Perry will likely start the season on PUP...again...:rolleyes:

Irons is a very talented back, but I hardly see him as a need pick in round 2. What's obvious about this pick is that Marvin and Co. stuck to what they said they would do by staying away from "character" issue players.

No, they stuck to they're overall board.

Looks like it worked for them.

I'm definitely not mad at another Auburn RB being on the roster.

bye bye Two Carry, buh-bye

Thing is, he takes so long to heal even the most minor of injuries, and you can't cut an injured player......we he may remain injured (with his current injury) beyond the length of his rookie contract.....avoiding being cut entirely.

Not really an issue of concern this year anyway. Even with the drafting of Irons, I doubt there is anything in that pick to suggest that they are planning on cutting Perry. He still carries a signing bonus that if cut would hurt the team's cap situation.

Next year it is probably closer to breaking even and they could part ways with him if they so desired. A broken leg will certainly be healed by this time next year, so there shouldn't be any problems with cutting him next off-season if that's the plan... and I assume it is. Rudi, Irons, and Watson will probably be the three RB's through '09.

Perry will be PUP'd, so no real issue for 2007. His leg was simply shredded. I see no need in rehashing his ill-fated Cincy career, rather choosing to toss it in the same bin with Kijana Carter's Cincy career, the one labeled "what might have been". We'll never know.

As it is, the Bengals have moved on for 2007, and so shall I.

DPM, that post is going to cause a stampede in here. I disagree with nearly everything you said, but to each his own.

I'm betting there won't be a stampede. In fact, I'd say that after making the same tired argument for three years in a row Pushy will be lucky to find a single cow willing to follow his bull.

He still carries a signing bonus that if cut would hurt the team's cap situation.
If cut June 1 or after (there's another scenario that works as well before June 1, but he won't be healthy before then, so I won't delve into it) the dead money from the signing bonus is spread over this year and next, half and half. Again, he can't be cut until he is healthy.

my best guess:

If he's healthy enough to get on the field by training camp, I figure he sticks through training camp just to give him a good fair checkout and to reduce the possibility of a grievance. If he isn't, he'll be PUPed (gone) for 2007 and released summarily at the end of the year