4th Round: Marvin White

ArmyBengal

Ronnie Lott, talking about teammate Jerry Rice and the fact that he ran the 40 in about 4.6,

"Jerry may have been a 4.6 or a 4.7, but he was a 4.2 on Sundays."

That says it all. All I care about is how he looks at gametime.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ronnie Lott, talking about teammate Jerry Rice and the fact that he ran the 40 in about 4.6,

Excatly, when players run their 40 at the combine it's hard to simulate the adreniline and other factors that are going on while they are playing. I think they should have someone chasing the guys trying to knock their heads at the combine, that would be a more accurate measure of how fast a guy is.

Besides there are guys who run a 4.2/40 who are on practice squads, so what does that tell you about 40 times.

Thats the exception, not the rule. Whenever people diss the 40 time they call out a few players who have succeeded without having a good 40 time, as if a few cases of that make it something that will always happen. There are exceptions to every rule, still though the 40 time is a very efficient way of determining how a guy will play. Its not the end all, but no GM makes it out to be, only people who like to diss the 40 will do that. Generally its just if a guy runs in a certain range its this much more likely that he will succeed. A 4.53 for a safety is fine. Theres nothing to be worried about with his 40 time.

40 times, while a helpful tool to judge a player, is not the best indicator of his speed. As Hair mentioned, players who have a history of running track are going to be better in the 40, because getting out of the box is so vitally important for such a short run.

40 times are worth something, but they are not the only or probably even the best indicator of good speed.