2nd Round: Kenny Irons

ArmyBengal

Going back throught the pre-draft thread, only a couple people even considered a RB with our 2nd round pick and when that happened, either people dismissed it and didn't reply, or just replied with a "RB ?"...

Now everyone is all happy happy joy joy about Irons. I can't say as I particularly like the pick, but there was no one else on the defensive side of the ball that I just had to have and obviously no wanted to trade up, so we have Irons.

Now most draft mags I saw had him as the #3 RB in the draft, but questioned his speed, catching abilities, and injury concerns. I think RB is a good pick, but just not overly thrilled with Irons per se. He adds depth and is said to be a good inbetween the tackles runner, so I'm sure he will fit right in.

No love for Quincey Wilson (Rudi Jr.) !!!

Is everyone really happy about the pick, or just accepting it for what it is ??

It's ok, but not exactly what I wanted...

WHODEY !!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is everyone really happy about the pick, or just accepting it for what it is ??

Yeah... pretty much just accepting it.

I've never said I was particularly happy with the pick... but I was never particularly happy with the Whitworth pick either. That's to say, there were clearly bigger needs than RB, but there wasn't much available.

I accept the Bengals BPA strategy and am confident that Irons will contribute. I guess I just wish someone else had fallen to the Bengals pick... but given who was left on the board, I can't really complain.

I think that the BPA theory has a little less resonance when you don't have a pick behind your current selection - taking BPA in Round 2 forces us to take two full steps down in the quality of our next selection due to the Brooks pick.

This is one of those situations where I'm just going to accept that the people in charge know what they're doing and look forward to an offense with even more weapons.

Now, d-line...

Well, it's the next day, I'm sober...and I still like the pick.

I feel like such a Blind Homer...hmm, wait a minute...

Mikey is a cheap bastige! How come the Bengals never sign any good FAs? Hobson is a tool! Where's our practice bubble?!?! TAB PERRY TO SAFETY!!!!

Ahhh...that's better! :lmao:

Army, at the least hoosier and I were building the case for going offense early, so that's two who are not surprised. I guessed WR for that early pick, but their going with RB doesn't bother me in the least. Still addresses my concerns about going away from offense again. They did what I wanted them to do...

I don't know who the guy is that does the Sunday morning national ESPN radio show, but I heard him just a few minutes ago. He gave his short list of teams he thought really did well with their picks. After rolling off Cleveland and Atlanta, he jumped into a discussion about the Bengals. He completely loved the Hall pick at 18, and then claimed that Irons would be a really good runningback, and surprise a lot of people.

For what that is worth.

(oh, and he discussed how both are "great character guys" ... can a discussion about the Bengals draft be made without that being brought up?)

SI's film room has a nice video of Irons. One thing that caught my eye was while there are only a couple catches shown, the guy doesn't just catch the ball but gets yards afterwards. On rushes, there are a couple that look like they would have went for a lot more yardage if his own teammates could get out of his way!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yer&p=86441

Watson is a 3rd down back whose primary strength is catching passes

...and blocking

Now everyone is all happy happy joy joy about Irons.

Nah, not true....several of us are no better then "accepting" it. I graded the pick a C, not for any lack of quality of Irons as a RB, but because RB was a much lower priority for us. I was thinking that we'd pick up a TE and RB with our 4 picks from r5 through r7, and still think we'd be better off had we done that.

Well, it's the next day, I'm sober...and I still like the pick.

I feel like such a Blind Homer...hmm, wait a minute...

Mikey is a cheap bastige! How come the Bengals never sign any good FAs? Hobson is a tool! Where's our practice bubble?!?! TAB PERRY TO SAFETY!!!!

Ahhh...that's better! :lmao:

Why bother when your heart isn't really into it?

As for the question of if some of us are just adjusting to the pick....well, yeah. That's what you have to do constantly when reacting to the draft. You give your opinions first, if that's important to you, and then as quickly as possible you ignore what you might have done and ask yourself if there isn't a perfectly understandle reason another choice was made.

In regards to the Irons pick about all I could muster up in protest was some weak support for the idea of drafting Ryan Kalil, which it seems the Bengals did consider but rejected. And in regards to the Jeff Rowe pick several rounds later I acknowledge being disappointed that Antonio Johnson was picked one spot later by the Titans, but he was a project player that I liked, and I can't argue that he's a better bet to make it than the project the Bengals actually drafted.

Adapt or die, right? The draft is simply too much of a crapshoot to ever assume that your opinion is unquestionably better than the team that has far more information and resources.

A healthy Perry is a lot like Bigfoot.

A lot of people claim to have seen it happen, but there's no hard evidence, and the possibility is generally dismissed by experts

:lol:

No doubt he's missed more time than anyone would like. He did stay healthy for most of '05 though and performed well.

Even though I wanted DEFENSE all day, after watching him in action, I really like the pick of Kenny Irons.

I went back and watched Irons and Auburn against LSU in 2005 -- he was AWESOME (my grandson's word).

He had 22 runs for 188 yds. A 74 yd run for a TD and a 36 yd run against a very good LSU defense. Yes, he was stop in the backfield a few times. He also did a respectable job of blocking during passing plays. [bTW Skyler Green, LSU, ran a punt back for a TD]

I believe Irons is going to be a big help. :cheers:

The negative is his injury history from 2006 -- turf toe, high ankle sprain, etc. However, if we can get Perry and Irons to alternate their injuries, we could have a good complement to Rudi. :lol:B)