2nd Round: Kenny Irons

ArmyBengal

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You measure it by your ability to sustain long drives by running the ball somewhat consistently, which we were NEVER able to do. Carson had to do everything by himslef to take us down the field and score.

JoeWrong.

Don't know ya but know you are wrong on your point. I'd love to hear your explaination as to how your opinion contrasts with reality.<intentional bait>

We took a player that will improve our team. None of the defensive players would have done that. They would have been backups here and never gotten on the field.

Also, the Falcons were the number 1 running team in the NFL last year BUT because they didn't have a guy like Rudi on their team, they were HORRIBLE in the Red Zone and on third down conversions...yards and long runs don't mean everything...

No. You measure it by your ability to sustain long drives by running the ball somewhat consistently, which we were NEVER able to do. Carson had to do everything by himslef to take us down the field and score.

Found this from '06, couldn't find similar stats for '07:

"Johnson has averaged 22 carries a game the last two seasons. The battering ram has rushed for 2,912 yards the last two seasons with 24 rushing TD’s, 12 carries of over 20 yards and an astonishing 152 first downs."

That would seem to indicate that you are, in fact, full of poop. Rudi has been instrumental to extending drives and moving the chains. Just watch some games.

You can rack up a bunch of yards and 1st downs on drives that end up stalling . and the reason most of our drives stalled is because Carson and the passing game didn't have a reliable running game.

I will wait to comment till I let this one sink in.

I had to be somewhere and my buddy sent me a text saying we took Kenny Irons, I was confused to say the least.

I understand BPA but there are plenty of solid RB's to be had day 2... If this is a result of Odell potentially starting opening day then I'm all for it but I doubt that's the case.

Marvin cleans house day 2 so I'm not going to get too bothered.

Brief taste o' Kenny...

He's a unique combination of a runner who is shifty and elusive yet also plays with fire and refuses to go down. Should be a nice change of pace.

We took a player that will improve our team. None of the defensive players would have done that. They would have been backups here and never gotten on the field.

Also, the Falcons were the number 1 running team in the NFL last year BUT because they didn't have a guy like Rudi on their team, they were HORRIBLE in the Red Zone and on third down conversions...yards and long runs don't mean everything...

Exactly. Rudi is fine in certain situations. He just isn't an every down, feature RB. At least if you want to win a championship. He simply limits the offense too much, and puts too much pressure on everyone else.

No. You measure it by your ability to sustain long drives by running the ball somewhat consistently, which we were NEVER able to do. Carson had to do everything by himslef to take us down the field and score.

Found this from '06, couldn't find similar stats for '07:

"Johnson has averaged 22 carries a game the last two seasons. The battering ram has rushed for 2,912 yards the last two seasons with 24 rushing TD’s, 12 carries of over 20 yards and an astonishing 152 first downs."

That would seem to indicate that you are, in fact, full of poop. Rudi has been instrumental to extending drives and moving the chains. Just watch some games.

You can rack up a bunch of yards and 1st downs on drives that end up stalling . and the reason most of our drives stalled is because Carson and the passing game didn't have a reliable running game.

OK now you make absolutely no sense. First downs stall drives? I have watched a lot of football and never seen a team punt on first down.

If THIS is true, we got a GREAT DUDE!

"Running backs coach Jim Anderson says Irons is cleary a different runner than bell cow Rudi Johnson, a fellow Auburn alum The 5-11, 205-pound Irons, who Anderson compares to another Auburn Bengal back in James Brooks, brings some home-run potential. It will be recalled that Brooks was a four-time Pro Bowler for the Bengals and their second-leading rusher of all time."

:cheers:

Marvin cleans house day 2 so I'm not going to get too bothered.

Truth. Marvin's ability to pick off gems on day 2 eases any doubts I have about not taking a defensive player in the second. Damn, I really wish that third rounder was there though.

Can't wait to see Irons play this upcoming season! Then if he turns out to be a great pick then maybe we'll actually cut or trade Perry...... <_<

Look at what Jones-Drew did for team who was preatty set at RB.

Yeah and look at the D-line that the Jags already had and the DB's they already had. They didn't have the holes that the Bengals have. They were able to take a guy like Jones-Drew. Besides, Fred Taylor has always been injury prone, unlike Rudi who barely ever misses a game.

Yeah and look at the D-line that the Jags already had and the DB's they already had. They didn't have the holes that the Bengals have. They were able to take a guy like Jones-Drew. Besides, Fred Taylor has always been injury prone, unlike Rudi who barely ever misses a game.

Rudi was dinged last year and it's only matter time till he receives a injury,

Do you want to have no one who can carrie a load when that happens?

Yeah and look at the D-line that the Jags already had and the DB's they already had.

Which DT would have equaled one of the jaguar ones? Their DB's ? their DB's are avg besides one of them.

Exactly. Rudi is fine in certain situations. He just isn't an every down, feature RB.

I think you would have made your best point if you stopped right there. You're 100% right on that alone. I also think that's just the general trend in the NFL. Kenny Watson isn't that guy (he's a blocking back at best) and Chris Perry, well, we've had a great deal of patience with him. That, right there, would have been perfect.

But then you messed up a perfectly good point by ripping Rudi Johnson... the guy breaking all of running back records. I just don't get it. Numbers (say, um, 36 TDs in three seasons) or as DC_Bengals_Fan (the guy that hopes we get a LB in the 3rd round... :P ) said, "Johnson has averaged 22 carries a game the last two seasons. The battering ram has rushed for 2,912 yards the last two seasons with 24 rushing TD’s, 12 carries of over 20 yards and an astonishing 152 first downs."

I know I'm a Rudi-homer. I embrace that. So, I guess, in a way, I'm just closed minded and reactive to critics of Rudi. I really believe he's a great RB with this team. Compared to others, maybe not. But he looks good in stripes. I'd have it no other way.

Again, I'm an idiot. We know this.

Rudi was dinged last year and it's only matter time till he receives a injury,

Do you want to have no one who can carrie a load when that happens?

Yeah and look at the D-line that the Jags already had and the DB's they already had.

Which DT would have equaled one of the jaguar ones? Their DB's ? their DB's are avg besides one of them.

A guy doesn't have to be a 2nd round pick to carry the load...Domini Rhodes, Brian Westbrook, Rudi was a 4th rounder.

A guy doesn't have to be a 2nd round pick to carry the load...Domini Rhodes, Brian Westbrook, Rudi was a 4th rounder.

All same coaching staff saw something in irons more then they did a defensive player "shrug"

I just see this as a panic pick. Durant was the player they wanted and he goes one pick in front of them and they paniced. They were all set up to pick Durant. I can't understand this pick and hope somebody good falls to them in round 4

Well Black would have been acceptable I would think if they were 100% on the postion.

Marvin pretty much put it out there in the interview with ESPN that the Bengals player they wanted was on defense and was picked right before them in the second round...prolly Durant or Harris

Yup, and that helped me accept the pick. Because I'll admit the first words out of my mouth was..."Great, another reason to hate Chris Perry. Just what I need."

Put me in the camp that likes the pick but doesn't love it. Then again, with Harris and Durant going just before the Bengals picked I was sitting there struggling to think of an option better than Kalil, and I already had my doubts about that one since I'm satisfied the Bengals sincerely think Bluto is the answer.

I just see this as a panic pick. Durant was the player they wanted and he goes one pick in front of them and they paniced. They were all set up to pick Durant. I can't understand this pick and hope somebody good falls to them in round 4

no. they didn't panic. it's an nfl franchise. they had a back-up plan if durant was gone, and it was irons.

we probably wanted durant or harris, but that didn't work out.

after those two, there weren't any defensive players that were worth that pick.

irons is every bit worth that pick.