2nd Round: Kenny Irons

ArmyBengal

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good football player but does nothing to adress needs.

Its not just who you pick but who you could have had instead.

We passed on Ryan Kalil the best C in the draft,Victor Abiamiri DE 10 1/2 sacks,Dan Bazuin 16 sacks a lot of gread LB's ,Quin Pitcock ect.

The Bengals dont pick again until the 4th round and have still not adressed their most pressing needs.

1st round pick nickel back

2nd round pick back up or #3 RB to go with 1st round back up from a couple of years ago.

When you have lost this many guys in free agency and you dont have a 3rd rnd pick you cant afford this kind of luxury.

If Irons stays healthy, I'd see him as having starting potential.

Not to mention the fact that anyone who thinks RB isn't a need ought to pass me whatever they are smokin' :lol:

Marvin pretty much put it out there in the interview with ESPN that the Bengals player they wanted was on defense and was picked right before them in the second round...prolly Durant or Harris

Yep, I saw the interview. Would you rather them reach to a 'lesser' defensive player? Especially when you got a high rated RB on the board, you will need one in the draft at some point (due to injury/depth), and it will be some 40-50 picks before you up again? All things considered, I completely agree.

Marvin pretty much put it out there in the interview with ESPN that the Bengals player they wanted was on defense and was picked right before them in the second round...prolly Durant or Harris

Exactly, he was extremely blunt. There was a run on the defensive players he wanted, so there was nothing to take, and Irons was the highest rated they had for offense.

I'm fine seeing the end of Perry, though I'm now wondering where our TE is going to come from. (I'm not an expert in the draft, but I assume the rest now has to be defense, and there's no TE to get).

BTW, ESPN2 going crazy over the Brown's latest pick, the UNLV cornerback. They traded with the cowboys to get him. Looks like the Browns have mortgaged a lot on a few picks; high risk, high reward. Should be interesting next year.

Some people just don't get it. RB is a need. And not just a 3rd down RB. Irons was not drafted as a 3rd down back just to catch balls out of the backfield. Like some people mentioned, he is not known as a receiver. He is here for his running ability. Rudi Johnson is just too limited as a runner.

On a side note...the Browns have had a hell of a draft...a franchise, LT, a franchise QB, and a potential stud DB (Dropped due to character). The AFC North is going to be a tough division again.

There are still some good players that could come in and play immediately on defense for the Bengals right now, they need to trade up and get a 3rd round pick badly. Crowder, Johnson, Abimiri, Buster Davis, and Pitcock.

I'm surprised by this pick - I assume this is the result of the BPA theory.

It's not what I would have hoped for in an ideal world, but the Woodley, Harris, Durant run must have pretty much exhausted the list of desirable defenders.

Fingers crossed for a DT tomorrow.

Some people just don't get it. RB is a need.

Agreeing...with JoePong...twice in one day...head...must...not...explode...:lmao:

RB is a need...but you shouldn't reach for a need....especially when you need a RB that can catch, to make up for not having a pass catching TE. The Bengals could have waited and taken Darius Walker in the 4th round...a guy that can catch the ball.

Some people just don't get it. RB is a need. And not just a 3rd down RB. Irons was not drafted as a 3rd down back just to catch balls out of the backfield. Like some people mentioned, he is not known as a receiver. He is here for his running ability. Rudi Johnson is just too limited as a runner.

Let's say you're right (you're not, but let's assume). Then why the hell did they sign Rudi to a long term deal? So they let this guy take over and do what, cut Rudi and eat the cap hit?

Note I'm not saying picking a RB was a bad idea. Also, if it turns out he really can catch out of the backfield and do damage, forget I said anything. But if he can't, he's nothing more than expensive insurance. If we're going to get an insurance-policy RB, I'd rather he be able to do things Rudi doesn't do.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure we'll get that LB we need in the 3rd round.

Agreeing...with JoePong...twice in one day...head...must...not...explode...:lmao:

No, it's not a need. It's an upgrade. We were fine at RB, but we definitely upgraded from questionable to probable -- if that even makes sense.

We were not fine at RB. We sucked. We were right around last in the NFL in runs over 10 or 15 yards. We had nobody who could do anything.

No, it's not a need. It's an upgrade. We were fine at RB, but we definitely upgraded from questionable to probable -- if that even makes sense.

Disagree. Like I said a while back, Watson has the speed of a snail, Perry is Mr. Glass. Behind Rudi we got nada. He pulls a hammy what are you going to put out there? Irons is solid value and fills in a question mark on O (and if we are going back to the playoffs it will be on the strength of our offense) that had to be dealth with. If I couldn't have a TE in round 2, RB works for me.

Let's say you're right (you're not, but let's assume). Then why the hell did they sign Rudi to a long term deal? So they let this guy take over and do what, cut Rudi and eat the cap hit?

Note I'm not saying picking a RB was a bad idea. Also, if it turns out he really can catch out of the backfield and do damage, forget I said anything. But if he can't, he's nothing more than expensive insurance. If we're going to get an insurance-policy RB, I'd rather he be able to do things Rudi doesn't do.

Fortunately I'm pretty sure we'll get that LB we need in the 3rd round.

Hummmm... you might be right. I've got my eye on that Ahmad Brooks fellow..

Yeah. His name is Ahmad Brooks.

We were not fine at RB. We sucked. We were right around last in the NFL in runs over 10 or 15 yards. We had nobody who could do anything.

For chrissakes. 1. You don't measure the success of a running game from long runs. You measure it by success on 1st down and 3rd and short, which Rudi's good at. 2. We have a passing game for the long plays. So what, you want a scatback who can't convert 3rd down? That'd be great. 3. The reason we don't have long runs isn't because of Rudi, it's because Chad sucks as a blocker downfield and Housh was too hurt to do it. We've been over this, and Marvin's said the same thing.

STOP dude....why does runs over 10-15 yards matter so much to you when you have two of the most explosive WR's in the game? In the offense the Bengals have Rudi is the PERFECT back. He is a guy that can grind it out and run time off the clock. Defenses have to put an extra guy in the box, which allows for the big time pass plays. Besides, you are judging Rudi on last year with a mish-mesh line and where he played all but two games with a bum knee? So what was his stats for runs over 10-15 yards the year before last?