Latest Little Scottish

Hello to the world from little Raith Reid who was plucked via caesarian section from his mum's tummy last night after 41 hours of labour (It's great being a bloke isn't it? No pain and you get to see inside your ladys' stomach)!

Weighing in at a bigger than expected 6lb 3oz he was taken out early due to a high risk of aneamia. He will spend the next few days to a week in the special care baby unit and has already had his first full oil change this morning. Everything else seems OK.

Mum very tired and sore. Still she felt that way after the conception :P

I'm a proud dad in need of a celebratory dram this weekend! :sure:

Thanks so much.

Little one is still in the SCBU and last night underwent a second "blood exchange" (total transfusion). The anti bodies in his blood continue to be a concern and so he might have to undergo yet another one today.

Worrying times but fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your kind comments and thoughts. :sure:

Thanks so much.

Little one is still in the SCBU and last night underwent a second "blood exchange" (total transfusion). The anti bodies in his blood continue to be a concern and so he might have to undergo yet another one today.

Worrying times but fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all your kind comments and thoughts. :sure:

Hope your little Bengal fan is doing well.

He seems to be doing fairly well and in the next day or two he MAY be moved from the intensive care ward of the special care baby unit into the not-quite-so-intensive-care ward. Apparantly the children are moved ward to ward nearer the door as they progress to improve. At present he is in the ward right at the far end of the corridor so I'll certainly take him moving one ward nearer health and home!

He no longer has any ultra violet lights around his incubator and has had a couple of monitors taken off him. Blood tests are now every 12 hours. He's tried a wee go at feeding but in the main part he takes his feed via a syringe and a tube up his nose and into his stomach.

I was able to hold him for the first time today, it made me happy, it made me proud, it made me cry.

He seems to be doing fairly well and in the next day or two he MAY be moved from the intensive care ward of the special care baby unit into the not-quite-so-intensive-care ward. Apparantly the children are moved ward to ward nearer the door as they progress to improve. At present he is in the ward right at the far end of the corridor so I'll certainly take him moving one ward nearer health and home!

He no longer has any ultra violet lights around his incubator and has had a couple of monitors taken off him. Blood tests are now every 12 hours. He's tried a wee go at feeding but in the main part he takes his feed via a syringe and a tube up his nose and into his stomach.

I was able to hold him for the first time today, it made me happy, it made me proud, it made me cry.

Let us know when the young one makes it home so we all can give a big hurrah!

Glad to hear you have some progress.

My first (now 16 years old and driving) was a primature birth at 4 lbs 11 oz.

He spent three weeks in the neo-natal center working his way from different stages in the incubator to finally eating on his own. He was so small I could hold him with one hand.

That first time holding such a little child is very moving, you have what seems to be a long task in front of you but remember you have my families prayers and well wishes.

Thanks again for all your kind thoughts and words, Mrs Scottish # 2 and I are very grateful for the support and strength you've given us, it's surprising how far a few kind words can go during someones dark times.

Little Raith came out of intensive care last night (Hoooooray) and he will stay in hospital at least until early next week. If allowed home after that then he will need to return weekly for blood tests for up to the next six months - but hey, whatever it takes, right?

Thanks again for all your support Bengal Bro's :sure:

Raith and mother made it home last night. Mum doing ok, Raith doing "satisfactory" although he will have to go back to hospital on Monday for a liver scan, some nurological tests, and then weekly blood tests for sometime. Its all to do with the antibody levels in his blood, it should be at 20 or less per measurement but is currently running at 227. Another exchange transfusion is a possibilty in the near outlook.

Anyway - the little dude is HOME and thats all that counts at the moment! :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

Little Raith, now 5 weeks old, continues to have more tests and treatments at the hospital. Next week he is due to have a radioactive isotope injected into his bloodstream and then scanned to see how his liver is functioning. Medical thinking is that his liver may not be connected and he may need an operation to connect it, but this needs to be carried out before he is 10weeks old. Otherwise it's a liver transplant for him which will bring it's own problems in terms of donars, timescles and compatability with his funny blood type.

In God We Trust as the Dead Kennedys album is entitled.

Geez, just read the post.

First....CONGRATS!

Second, Hope your little guy has a fast recovery and no residual effects. My prayer are with you and your family.

Thirdly, I'm now using Yahoo as my search engine. For some reason.....Google just pi$$ed me off.