FA Bargain Shopping/MLB Hartwell

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The site mentions that Hartwell is talking to other teams. I had heard rumors about the Patriots before the Bengals had brought him in. Anyone heard any other rumors? Just curious who we're competing with.

I was wondering what the deal was with this situation, I saw were Landon re-signed, maybe they bought him in to motivate Landon.

The fact that it's been taking a while to get it done tells me that it will probably be loaded with incentives. That will probably be good for everyone. If he still has injury problems, the Bengals didn't waste a lot of money. If he plays well, he'll get paid.

Even though he's been an injury risk, I'd love for them to announce a deal that was more than just 1-year... but I think both sides are looking for just a 1-year deal right now.

The fact that it's been taking a while to get it done tells me that it will probably be loaded with incentives.

Or that the draft stirred the pot for more teams than the bengals. I'm sure there were more teams than Cincy who went in with LB on their wish list and didn't get it. So Hartwell may have a bit more interest now...

Per Hobson on Bengals.com

Updated: 4-30-07, 7:55 p.m.

A one-year deal for linebacker Ed Hartwell in Cincinnati is "expected to get worked out," and maybe as soon as Tuesday, agent, Harold Lewis said Monday night.

"The team knows and Eddie knows it's a perfect fit," Lewis said. "For years people have been talking about their offense. You bring in a guy like Eddie Hartwell, and suddenly people are talking about your defense. We're stil working on some things, but I expect we'll get it worked out."

Even head coach Marvin Lewis, usually mum on the subject of free agents, was expansive on the subject of Hartwell Sunday night after the Bengals didn't draft a linebacker this past weekend. Harold Lewis said his client is anxious for a reunion with Marvin Lewis. His old coach in Baltimore sounds like he's looking forward to it as well.

“It’s a possibility,” Marvin Lewis said. “He’s looking for a place to call home.”

Marvin Lewis joked that after the Ravens took Hartwell in the fourth round in his last year as defensive coordinator in 2001, he never let him play a down of defense.

"He must really like me," Lewis said. :lol:

So Eddie was another of Marvin's 4th round jewels, I think Marvin could field a team full on only 4th round players. ^_^

The lastest on Hartwell's arrival in the Queen City..

The signing of linebacker Ed Hartwell by the Bengals is being held up.

Hartwell's wife, Lisa, is in labor with the couple's first child in an Atlanta hospital.

Their son was expected to have arrived Monday night or some time today, agent Harold Lewis said Monday.

Hartwell wants a one-year deal with the Bengals, a team he thinks he can play for immediately and show the league that injuries that hampered him with the Falcons are behind him.

The talk between the Bengals and Hartwell is that he would play weakside linebacker, where he would be freed up to concentrate primarily on defending the run.

I wonder what he's going to name his son, no offense but for the kids sake I hope it's not Edgerton..

Curnutte says the signing is on hold 'cause his wife's in labor...

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art.../705010359/1066

Hartwell to the weak side huh? I guess that means Brooks in the middle and Jeanty at SSLB? Sounds good to me. Hartwell is certainly a step up from Landon Johnson, and having him and Caleb Miller makes the depth look pretty solid if that's how it plays out.

Hartwell to the weak side huh? I guess that means Brooks in the middle and Jeanty at SSLB? Sounds good to me. Hartwell is certainly a step up from Landon Johnson, and having him and Caleb Miller makes the depth look pretty solid if that's how it plays out.

Agreed. Hartwell would really help to solidify the gains made in the back seven in the draft, and gives the team some breathing space re: Odell and Pollack. The failure to address the d-line in either FA or the draft will still hold them back significantly, but we should still see improved defensive play.

Agreed. Hartwell would really help to solidify the gains made in the back seven in the draft, and gives the team some breathing space re: Odell and Pollack. The failure to address the d-line in either FA or the draft will still hold them back significantly, but we should still see improved defensive play.

Man, couldn't agree more with you two. Vet skillz and a guy with something to prove is just what this defense ordered at LB. Jeanty, Brooks, Hartwell, Johnson and Miller would give them five good interchangeable linebackers, and allow the Henderson/Nicholson experiment to continue with less pressure on the ultimate success of that plan. Then, if he-who-must-not-be-named from Georgia ever does re-surface, or Pollack ever does make a recovery, a position of weakness might still be a strength.

Really want them to lock down the Hartwell deal soon. If that means helping Hartwell cut the cord, so be it. As long as he has a hand free to sign on the dotted line. I think Hartwell is a genuinly quality LB, and a one-year incentive laden deal ensures he will play like his hair is on fire for the entire season. Not a bad scenario at all...

Jeanty, Brooks, Hartwell, Johnson and Miller would give them five good interchangeable linebackers, and allow the Henderson/Nicholson experiment to continue with less pressure on the ultimate success of that plan.

I'd love to see Henderson develop into a good pass-rushing SSLB threat. I still have my doubts about him though. I am fairly optimistic about Nicholson though. I'd love to see him develop, and am curious to see what Everett can do. Maybe takes Frazier's place? It'll depend on his ability to play ST's I guess.

No matter what... the Hartwell signing makes the LB situation look a whole lot less grim. And despite Hoosier's dissatisfaction with the D-Line... it was injuries at LB and age in the secondary that hurt the Bengals the most last year. Both of those problems appear to have been rectified to some extent. Now they just have to get the deal with Hartwell done!

Hartwell to WLB tells me Odell isn't expected to be a factor at all this year. No way they'd get Ahmad prepped for MLB knowing Odell may have a shot to take the spot back.

I like it a whole lot. Jeanty I think is better than Landon so it's best for the team to replace Landon over Jeanty. Ahmad is going to be a beast wherever he plays.

Jeanty is a beast on run plays, always seems to be around the action. I would LOVE for him to play 1st/2nd then Henderson come in as a blitzer on some pass downs.

And no Tory James... The possibilities are endless.

And despite Hoosier's dissatisfaction with the D-Line... it was injuries at LB and age in the secondary that hurt the Bengals the most last year. Both of those problems appear to have been rectified to some extent.

True, but a big part of the reason age and injury hurt us in the back seven last season was that the front four struggled, as usual, against the run (though they seemed to get a bit stouter as the season went on) and failed miserably to generate any consistent pressure on the QB. That doesn't seem likely to change much this coming season. And whereas last year age hurt us in the secondary, this year we have younger guys, but that also means less experienced guys. In terms of immediate impact, that's likely to be something of a wash. Which is why I agree Hartwell would be a blessing. He not only stabilizes the LB corps, but also gives us back some of the vet experience and leadership we lost with Simmons, James and K2.

Hartwell = Kevin Hardy part deux :)

Maybe. I don't get that feeling though. Even so, it's only going to be a 1-year deal, and he's a lot younger and more athletic than Brian Simmons. Comparing him to Hardy doesn't really matter, because he's an upgrade over what we had.

Hartwell to WLB tells me Odell isn't expected to be a factor at all this year. No way they'd get Ahmad prepped for MLB knowing Odell may have a shot to take the spot back

Inless they want him to learn the middle anyways since our LB's do move around alot.

Wouldn't Brooks be suited to play SSLB with Odell in the middle? Sure, he played middle in college but one of the reasons we drafted him was because of his pass rushing abilities, which he could definitely do from the Strong side. Obviously, it assumes Odell would be playing middle, but I don't see any reason all three (Hartwell, OT, Brooks) couldn't play at the same time in that order.