Those Crazy-Spending Pats Strike Again

The Squirrel will be the one let go.

Poor guy - he figured when he signed he'd have a solid shot at being the #2 WR there. Now he is at best the #4 - just like he was here.

I wonder if there is any chance he returns here?

Could be, but I doubt it. There is too much opportunity out there for a WR looking for playing time. He'll probably be Raider or Texan before the season starts. Would be nice to have him and Perry battle it out for playing time while Henry is in football jail.

They already got a Moss replica jersey on their webpage.

Obviously this gives them a big boost but it seems like they have been getting quite a few guys that are mid-career or later. Kinda reminds me of the old Redskins when George Allen was their coach or some of the Raider teams of the 80s or 90's. I just wonder how all of these guys will hold up over the course of a season.

Holy crap! The AFC is in trouble now boys... This team will win 13 or 15 games this year... All the Moss haters better get used to him celebrating now, he's never had a QB this damn good. Brady may have the best season of his career... NE with Moss will abuse us, I hope JJ and the Rookie can handle Moss, we've already seen what TO did to our secondary.

Yeah, I am sure Jamarcus Russell started to cry instantly after hearing this. Why would the Raiders do something like this when they actually got a QB to throw Moss the long ball? Please if anyone could shed some light on this.

Yeah, I am sure Jamarcus Russell started to cry instantly after hearing this. Why would the Raiders do something like this when they actually got a QB to throw Moss the long ball? Please if anyone could shed some light on this.

Moss was winner playing on a lossing team, I knew it wouldn't work out from the start. I'm pretty sure Moss pissed off a few guys in the head office by quitting halfway through the season... It actually makes sence, quit playing and you'll get traded to a better team. Our corners will get a good test come prime time.

Moss was winner playing on a lossing team, I knew it wouldn't work out from the start. I'm pretty sure Moss pissed off a few guys in the head office by quitting halfway through the season... It actually makes sence, quit playing and you'll get traded to a better team. Our corners will get a good test come prime time.

Yeah, I understand that but now that they drafted JR, couldn't the front office be like, "You happy now?" and "You better start trying now" to Moss? You think they would see if it would have worked this season before moving on without him. It could have been the second coming of the Culpepper/Moss era. Culpepper was way overrated when all he had to do was lob the ball down field to Moss to grab.

Bill Simmons on the Pats & the Moss trade. I'm going with explanation 1 myself. :lmao:

If Bill Belichick arrived at practice in a Ferrari Enzo one day, everyone would assume the Patriots coach was battling a severe midlife crisis. But seeing him trade a fourth-rounder for Randy Moss? Nobody knows how to react. Every Patriots fan I know was legitimately speechless after the trade. We'd heard the rumors for weeks but never believed this thing would, you know, happen.

Maybe Moss isn't a brand-new Enzo, but he's definitely a Ferrari -- one of those with about 75,000 miles on it that you'd buy from a rapper who's going bankrupt. You're not exactly sure what condition it's in. It might be more trouble than it's worth. You have to keep it covered almost all the time. The parts are expensive. At the same time, it's a Ferrari and you're getting it at a discount, right? If you have the money and you always wanted a car like that, you have to make the deal.

The case against a Moss trade: He's a potential cancer on a team that's always thrived on chemistry and character. He's a deep threat with hall of fame skills playing for a franchise that historically has terrible luck with deep threats with hall of fame skills. He's a polarizing African-American athlete playing in a city that usually has trouble being fair to polarizing African-American athletes. Everyone agrees that he lost a step over the past two seasons, although he may have just lost the will to live with Kerry Collins, Art Shell, Aaron Brooks and Norv Turner in his life. If he starts out slow, you can count on the MAWBM (Middle-Age White Boston Sports Media) ripping him to shreds at every turn. (To nobody's surprise, Dan Shaughnessy started early.) On paper, there hasn't been a Boston-related disaster this predictable since the Big Dig planners decided the tunnel would go right under the North End.

The case for a Moss trade: They only sacrificed a second-day pick for him and could cut the cord at the first hint of trouble. The team looks so loaded, they could probably win a fourth Super Bowl with or without him. (I'm even getting, "Congratulations, you guys are the new Yankees" e-mails, which is funny because there's a salary cap in football.) Going from Collins/Brooks and Turner/Shell to Brady/Belichick, it's hard to imagine a better candidate for the Juvenation Machine in recent sports history, especially if Moss reins himself in like Dennis Rodman did in Chicago. For football purposes, he's the ultimate luxury -- a home run threat at an expendable position, a potential gamebreaker who makes the 2007 Patriots effectively unbeatable. You could even say he's a 2004 Ferrari Enzo with 90,000 miles on it.

Five years ago, I don't think Bill Belichick makes a move like this. I really don't. So that leaves five possible explanations why it happened now.

Explanation No. 1: You could almost picture Tom Brady heading into the coach's office after last season and saying, "Um, I don't know if you realize this, but I turn 30 this season. You just wasted a year of my prime. I'm never getting it back. I took a little less to stay here, you promised to build a quality team around me, then you traded Deion Branch and stuck me with Reche Caldwell as my No. 1, so my season came down to a third-down play where I crossed signals with a 38-year-old guy who should have been coaching our receivers instead of trying to get open on THE BIGGEST EFFING PLAY OF THE SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!! COULD YOU GET ME SOME HELP PLEASE! THERE'S A CHANCE MY EX-GIRLFRIEND PULLED THE GOALIE ON ME THIS WINTER, COULD YOU THROW ME ONE EFFING BONE HERE! JUST ONE! IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK???"

This offseason has felt like a prolonged apology to Brady. Here, you wanted a real slot guy, right? We just traded for Wes Welker. You wanted a deep threat, right? How's Donte' Stallworth sound? You wanted a potential gamebreaker, right? How's Randy Moss sound? The only thing Belichick didn't do was to convince ABC to cancel "Six Degrees."

Explanation No. 2: This entire weekend was Belichick's "I'm Keith Hernandez!" moment. On the heels of the NFL instituting new character policies, Belichick drafted one of the most notorious players in the draft (Miami safety Brandon Meriweather) and traded for one of the most notorious players in the league (Moss). It's almost as if he decided, "I already won three titles with the three C's (character, coaching and chemistry) -- just for fun, I want to try to win one with a couple of lunatics. I'm Bill Belichick! I won three Super Bowls in four years! If anyone can pull this off, it's me, baby!

Explanation No. 3: Belichick believes the leadership and character on this season's team is solid enough that they can take chances on two shaky guys, almost like the family from "Seventh Heaven" deciding to adopt two troubled foster kids and turn their lives around. He did it with Corey Dillon a few years ago; now he's doing it with Moss and Meriweather. And if they end up winning the Super Bowl, he needs to raise the degree of difficulty bar by leaving the Patriots, taking over the Bengals and immediately trading for Terrell Owens.

Full disclosure: For years and years, I've been writing that any team can survive with one head case as long as it doesn't give him another head case to hang out with. For instance, Stephen Jackson is thriving as the Token Head Case in Golden State right now, just like Ron Artest thrived in Indiana for a couple years under that same role. You can always get away with one. But when Jackson and Artest landed on the same team? We ended up with the ugliest sports brawl in three decades. I'm not saying this will happen with Moss and Meriweather on the Patriots. At the same time, it's probably a good idea if they're not allowed to meet, interact or even use adjoining urinals at the same time.

(Please nore that I was excited for the Meriweather selection when it happened, if only for my dad's verbatim defense of the pick: "Well, the stomping thing was pretty bad, but he did have a license for the gun." He was dead serious. The NFL draft ... it's FANNNNNNNNNN-tastic!)

Explanation No. 4: Just for the hell of it, Belichick decided to build this season's Patriots offense the same way I doctor my "Madden" roster every August by making as many shady Patriots-related trades as possible. I swear, I would have ended up making all three of those moves in four months, even if they hadn't happened.

I wonder if Miami will be dumb enough to trade me Wes Welker for a second-round pick? (Pause.) Wait ... the Dolphins agreed to the deal?

I wonder if Donte' Stallworth's agent will be dumb enough to sign a multi-year deal in which only the first year is guaranteed. (Pause.) Wait ... he said yes?

I wonder if the Raiders will accept a fourth rounder for Moss. Screw it, I'll make the offer. (Pause.) Wait, I just got Randy Moss?

You have to admit, at the very least, we have the greatest "Madden" offense in Patriots history: Brady, Maroney, Watson, Moss, Stallworth, Welker, Caldwell, Gaffney, Brown. I mean ... are you kidding me? Can I run a seven-receiver offense next year? Is that legal?

Explanation No. 5: Belichick really did have a midlife crisis ... but instead of buying a fancy sports car, he went out and traded for Randy Moss. Maybe the coach knew he didn't really need a sports car, knew the car might remain in the garage for long periods of time, knew his friends might make fun of him, knew his insurance might skyrocket, knew he'd probably regret it in the end ... and you know what? He did it, anyway.

"Screw it," he probably said to himself. "I've always wanted to drive one of those things."

So if this was true, it's safe to say that Patriots fans were like kids playing in the front yard when that 2004 Ferrari Enzo pulled into the driveway, followed by our midlife-crisis-suffering father climbing out of the driver's seat as the doors shot straight up into the air. We're walking around the car in shock. We don't know what to think. It's quite possible that dad just lost his mind.

And yet, we can't stop thinking about one thing ...

That's a pretty cool car, isn't it?

Bill Simmons on the Pats & the Moss trade. I'm going with explanation 1 myself. :lmao:

"It's almost as if he decided, "I already won three titles with the three C's (character, coaching and chemistry) -- just for fun, I want to try to win one with a couple of lunatics. I'm Bill Belichick! I won three Super Bowls in four years! If anyone can pull this off, it's me, baby!"

That's a pretty cool car, isn't it?

I am going with Explaination #3...that is just too funny. "I already won three titles with the three C's (character, coaching and chemistry) -- just for fun, I want to try to win one with a couple of lunatics."

The Pats are probably the favorites to win it all... but I don't think that defense is a lot better. They signed Adalius Thomas, but they are getting really old really fast at every other position.

As far as signing Moss. Yeah, it makes them better on the field... but Brady distributes the ball. Does anyone think Moss won't be crying when 90% of the passes aren't coming his way? He's locker-room trouble. This is a risk to say the least. I don't think they needed him with the other WR's they'd signed.

First of all, WR's don't win championships. They touch the ball, what, 5-7 times a game? Secondly, he's a character risk, and the Pats have now brought a bunch of new guys that don't have that traditional "team-first" Patriots mentality that won them those championships.

Like I said... they are probably the favorites right now, but so were the Panthers when they brought in Keyshawn. How'd that work out? In other words - the move is over-rated.