DT Michael Myers visit PBS/signs with the Bengals

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean a blessing in disguise. The guy is a very solid player. He's started a lot of games for some pretty good teams. When he plays too many snaps he tends to wear down, but that makes him a perfect fit in a rotation with with Sam Adams and Peko. I think he'll be very effective.

Way too much money...I expect we will finish last in the division just because of this FA signing

How is that a lot of money? It's pretty much the league minimum for him.

This from Hobson:
Myers looks to be taking the place of Shaun Smith in a tackle rotation headed by starters John Thornton and Sam Adams and emerging second-year man Domata Peko.

If he's actually the replacement for Smith, I don't think that's quite accurate. It ought to read:

Myers looks to be taking the place of Shaun Smith as the defensive tackle who is deactivated each week so Jonathan Fanene can play.

I guess that's a decent joke, but it actually points out how solid a move this is.

First, Myers does take Smith's place on the depth chart and for less than it would have cost to keep a player who was rarely activated. So you can quickly see the wisdom of letting Smith leave without a fight.

Second, Myers's is a clear upgrade over Smith and will actually become an active part of the DT rotation...something Smith could never seem to manage. As for Fanene, I'm betting he learned the news of Myer's signing and immediately injured himself.

Third, the addition of Myers eases the pressure to find another DT in the draft.

Last, if the Bengals do pull the trigger on a DT on draft day, the team could explore the option of cutting John Thornton...freeing up more than 3mill in cap space.

Last, if the Bengals do pull the trigger on a DT on draft day, the team could explore the option of cutting John Thornton...freeing up more than 3mill in cap space.

Doubt that will ever happen.

John Thornton is the greatest thing to ever happen to this team...why cut him!!?!? Give him his well earned extension

I would have preferred Ian Scott since he is younger but I am glad to see somebody beside Thorton and Robinson to go in at DT. Maybe is a nice rotation with Fat Sam and Peko now....

Here is to cutting John Thornton!!!

I don't know anything about the guy, but he did start 16 games last year for a D that was a lot better than ours. And I know that we signed him for less money than a guy we didn't even dress last year (Smith).

I'll hold judgement until we learn why he was so cheap, but on surface it looks like a steal.

Whur is just a classic example of whiney fans bitching when the Bengals don't sign players in March, and then mocking and ridiculing who they do sign in April. Damned if they do, damned if the don't.

Frankly, I didn't care one way or the other if they signed this guy, or Hartwell, or just about anyone else. But to whine and bitch if the Bengals do nothing, and then whine and bitch when the Bengals do something... it's the main reason I don't spend nearly as much time on this board as I used to. It gets awfully old hearing grown men acting like little girls.

On the Myers topic though... as a starter last year he racked up more tackles than any of our D-Linemen (except Justin Smith). He was in the top 25 in tackles among D-Linement, and the Bengals didn't gave a single lineman other than Smith that was in the top 50.

Those numbers will likely come down since he'll probably be in a rotation... but the stats show that he will certainly get the opportunity to play, might get the opportunity to start, and will no doubt contribute and make the line better. I'm not going pretend he was a top 10 FA... but it was certainly solid, it was definetly addressing a need, and you can't deny the price was right. Solid move... the fans will be happy with his production.

Whur is just a classic example of whiney fans bitching when the Bengals don't sign players in March, and then mocking and ridiculing who they do sign in April. Damned if they do, damned if the don't.

Frankly, I didn't care one way or the other if they signed this guy, or Hartwell, or just about anyone else. But to whine and bitch if the Bengals do nothing, and then whine and bitch when the Bengals do something... it's the main reason I don't spend nearly as much time on this board as I used to. It gets awfully old hearing grown men acting like little girls.

On the Myers topic though... as a starter last year he racked up more tackles than any of our D-Linemen (except Justin Smith). He was in the top 25 in tackles among D-Linement, and the Bengals didn't gave a single lineman other than Smith that was in the top 50.

Those numbers will likely come down since he'll probably be in a rotation... but the stats show that he will certainly get the opportunity to play, might get the opportunity to start, and will no doubt contribute and make the line better. I'm not going pretend he was a top 10 FA... but it was certainly solid, it was definetly addressing a need, and you can't deny the price was right. Solid move... the fans will be happy with his production.

good post, why bitch and moan, the glass can be half full you know. I also agree with you on Myers, he's not a superstar but he's a good solid player that can contribute, and he came at the right price. Good job front office!

What I can't figure out, it almost seems too good to be true. The guy's not *that* old, and given his production last year it seems like he should have signed for at least $3M/yr. Hell, he's making half as much as John Thornton, and signed during a year when anybody with a pulse signed 8 digit contracts.

What am I missing, or did the other 30 teams just totally whiff on this one?

What I can't figure out, it almost seems too good to be true. The guy's not *that* old, and given his production last year it seems like he should have signed for at least $3M/yr. Hell, he's making half as much as John Thornton, and signed during a year when anybody with a pulse signed 8 digit contracts.

What am I missing, or did the other 30 teams just totally whiff on this one?

I guess the only answer I can come up with is that the level of production he showed in '06 looks like a bit of an anomoly when you look at the rest of his career. He had his best year in 2001, and had a bunch of so-so years until last year. It's not as if his numbers were staggering last year either... just a fair amount higher than the norm. It's unlikely to see his production actually increase, especially since this will be his 10th year in the league.

In other words, I think it is likely that he will be a very good rotational player. When you consider how much a guy with that type of role is worth, we still got a good deal... but he's older than S. Smith, meaning that he's not likely to develop into anything (that is why Smith got paid), he nearing the end of his career, and you know what you're getting. Not a game-breaker, not a huge guy that takes up blocks, not known for a great pass-rush. Just a decent role player who will get good production if he's used correctly, and keeps his legs fresh.

When you consider him in that light, yeah... we got a good deal, but it's not as if we got a pro-bowler.

The guy had 80 freakin' tackles last year - 50 solo, 2 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries - that's production from a DT.

He is a run-stopper, and simply had a great year, for whatever reason.

I'm guessing is age/tenure is why he didn't get a lot of interest (in addition to cap reasons for many teams at this point).

Considering the salary - I don't have a problem with this pick-up.

It also tells me they are either planning on cutting someone or that someone like Robinson is probably going to be relagated to the inactive role more often than not possibly on game days.

Dunno.

If Thorton saves significant cap space by releasing him - this move may have been done in order to do that, who the hell knows.

Personally I am sick and tired of watching the same 4-6 guys every year not improve nor play consistently, including Justin Smith.

New blood, young or older, is fine with me.

John Thornton is the greatest thing to ever happen to this team...why cut him!!?!? Give him his well earned extension

I love the smell of bitter sarcasm in the morning.

To me, John Thornton is a bubble player whose play isn't nearly as bad as many suggest, but isn't good enough for me to ever quite forget about the cap savings that would result if he were cut. But to be perfectly honest there's no way I'd consider cutting Thornton unless under the scenario I mentioned. That being drafting a DT who could contribute right away, as Peko did last season, and added to a rotation that includes veterans like Myers and the Fattest Sam.

Myers is a much better choice than Scott, who sucks. And signing a known quantity at DT is a much better choice than rolling the dice on 1 on the 1st Day of the draft.

Still, the DT corps is an aged one, counting B-Rob. I would expect the Bengals to grab a Day 2 D-lineman who could play run DE and pass DT.

I would have preferred Ian Scott since he is younger but I am glad to see somebody beside Thorton and Robinson to go in at DT. Maybe is a nice rotation with Fat Sam and Peko now....

I don't know anything about the guy, but he did start 16 games last year for a D that was a lot better than ours. And I know that we signed him for less money than a guy we didn't even dress last year (Smith).

I'll hold judgement until we learn why he was so cheap, but on surface it looks like a steal.

My thoughts exactly....

:sure:

I was reading over at the Broncos message boards and their mad to see him go..Maybe this guy is a blessing in disguise? ;)

Got a LINK to their site ?

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=91567

And actually Myers was targeted as one of their "must" re-sign guys this off-season. Then a new DC came into town and didn't fit the description of Bates' defensive tackles. (i.e., really fat)

My thoughts exactly....

It could simply be that he values situation more than money, money, money.

I was reading over at the Broncos message boards and their mad to see him go..Maybe this guy is a blessing in disguise? ;)

Got a LINK to their site ?

http://forums.denverbroncos.com/showthread.php?t=91567

And actually Myers was targeted as one of their "must" re-sign guys this off-season. Then a new DC came into town and didn't fit the description of Bates' defensive tackles. (i.e., really fat)

My thoughts exactly....

It could simply be that he values situation more than money, money, money.

Myers knows a winner when he sees one, and Marvin is definitely a winner. Besides after playing for Shanahan he can wait to play for a real coach.