DT Michael Myers visit PBS/signs with the Bengals

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah nothing to get real excited about - but the bigger point is that it looks like maybe they are thinking of cutting Thorton or Robinson to make some cap room? (if releasing them at some point would do so that is - I thought both of them would if released)

So I wouldn't complain about a minor upgrade (yes he's probably better than Thorton and Robinson in a 4-3) that also adds depth and experience at a lower price.

Maybe i'm missing something there.

It'd seem like a pretty pointless signing to me. I'm not sure he's an upgrade.

Upgrade, shmupgrade. He'd be 2007's Cincinnati Bengals Official Aging Vet DT Signing. I think they're required by the league to sign at least one a year. :lol:

But it's a FA and we'd be spending money that's all that matters no?

Yeah nothing to get real excited about - but the bigger point is that it looks like maybe they are thinking of cutting Thorton or Robinson to make some cap room? (if releasing them at some point would do so that is - I thought both of them would if released)

So I wouldn't complain about a minor upgrade (yes he's probably better than Thorton and Robinson in a 4-3) that also adds depth and experience at a lower price.

Maybe i'm missing something there.

That we have an opening at DT with the departure of Shaun Smith. No need to cut anyone, rosterwise, at this point, were he added.

Other than Domata Peko, what other Defensive tackle on this roster do you guy see actually worthy of a roster spot on this team ???

C'mon, Adams is only worth a damn on 1st down, on the first defensive drive of each half, after that, get that guy a snickers bar, cause he's not going any where for awhile

John Thornton has never lived up to his '99 draft hype when he was a 2nd rounder. He has never put his athleticism with consistency.

Bryan Robinson was a good player....................with the Bears about 7 years ago.

Jonathan Fanene - Is he a DE, Is he a DT, oooopsss.. Is he healthy ???

- Give me a threat to convict anytime Marcus Thomas / DT , Florida over any of these guys ! ANY TIME.

:sure::bengal:

Huh,

Im not sure I understand the logic in cutting one 30-something player (JT, BRob, Adams) and signing another.

At least BRob gives us versatility at DE and DT, but then again maybe the team thinks Fanaenae can do that better.

If he comes cheap, and we're gonna cut someone, then go ahead i guess.

Here's a paraphrase of what ESPN says about him...

"He is a veteran defensive tackle who started out playing well this past season, but did not finish nearly as well. Myers was part of a defensive line group that wore down by the end of the season, and that has been an issue with Myers as a starter for much of his career. He is a short defensive tackle with average size.

He is listed at 300 pounds, but he does not play or look nearly that big. He is a versatile player that has primarily been a backup for a good portion of his career. He is best suited as a backup where he can stay fresh and play with his excellent motor. He is a player that can play all four defensive line spots in the Denver defense. He is a tough, hard-nosed player who wins more with technique than athletic ability or strength. He comes off the ball hard, but he does not have explosive first-step quickness or explosive strength. He uses his hands very well in the run game and to counter blocks. He does a good job of using his hands to protect his lower body from cut blocks.

He can win one-on-one versus single blocks in the run game. He gives very good effort to take on double teams inside, but he does wear down. He does not have that explosive strength or quickness to fight off blockers and split the double team. He is also a good run down player at defensive end. He can come off the ball low and hard and get the offensive tackle on his heels. He shows strong hands to grab and control inline. He is limited as a pass rusher from all the defensive line spots because he does not have that initial first-step quickness to be an edge player. He is not very nimble or light on his feet. He lacks pass-rush counter moves. He does not have enough strength to generate a consistent bull rush.

Myers is a player that has primarily been a backup much of his career. He started this past season and did have a career high 57-tackles because he was in a starting role, but his strength limitations really show up as an every-down player. He should be able to squeeze out a few more seasons, but it has to be as a backup where he can stay rested and his versatility is an asset, not a liability."

Per Hobson, the team has nixed the Scott visit - maybe Myers will be in stripes by the weekend.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5992

Mike Myers, I heard that guy was a killer DT, get killer. Yeah I know that was corny as hell...

But I would be all for Myers, he sounds like JT, a good DT whose better in a rotation. A rotation of Adams, Thornton, Myers, and Peko would be formiable.

If Adams can come into camp in shape and ready to go he could be the spark that this unit needs.