Chick Ludwig says trading Smith might be Bengals' best option

Buckeye homerism from a "respected" media outlet. Good grief.

:lmao::lmao: DDN is hardly "respected".

Actually, the Dayton Daily News is highly respected.

Three different sports writers from the DDN are in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Si Burick, Ritter Collet and Hal McCoy

And by the way guys, his name is Chick not Chuck.

Chick himself is pretty well respected.

Chick Ludwig is an award-winning sports writer who has worked at the Dayton Daily News for 25 years, the past eight as the Bengals beat writer. He is chairman of the Cincinnati Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America, the Bengals correspondent for The Sporting News and serves on the 39-man selection committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In 2002, Ludwig captured first place in the enterprise features category of the PFWA writing contest. His winning entry, a 50-part project titled The Rivalry, chronicled the history of the Cincinnati Bengals-Cleveland Browns rivalry. Before taking over the Bengals beat, Ludwig covered Wright State University athletics for 10 years. He has written on a wide range of sports, including numerous Indianapolis 500 races, the Final Four and 1996 Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta. A native of Cincinnati, he graduated from The Ohio State University in 1976 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism.

I agree that Smith has been at a minimum "Solid" and at times far better, but a 1st and 3rd ?? I don't think the team would or should pass that up. Even if Smith signs the tender for this season, there is still next season to contend with and what are we going to do, throw the tag at him again ?? Start the rebuilding around younger, cheaper talent. This defense isn't going to be middle of the pack this year without prayers and luck to begin with... Bye Justin... F*ck Ginn at #18...

WHODEY !!!

Buckeye homerism from a "respected" media outlet. Good grief.

:lmao::lmao: DDN is hardly "respected".

Actually, the Dayton Daily News is highly respected.

Three different sports writers from the DDN are in the Baseball Hall of Fame.

Si Burick, Ritter Collet and Hal McCoy

And by the way guys, his name is Chick not Chuck.

Chick himself is pretty well respected.

Chick Ludwig is an award-winning sports writer who has worked at the Dayton Daily News for 25 years, the past eight as the Bengals beat writer. He is chairman of the Cincinnati Chapter of the Pro Football Writers of America, the Bengals correspondent for The Sporting News and serves on the 39-man selection committee for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. In 2002, Ludwig captured first place in the enterprise features category of the PFWA writing contest. His winning entry, a 50-part project titled The Rivalry, chronicled the history of the Cincinnati Bengals-Cleveland Browns rivalry. Before taking over the Bengals beat, Ludwig covered Wright State University athletics for 10 years. He has written on a wide range of sports, including numerous Indianapolis 500 races, the Final Four and 1996 Centennial Olympic Games in Atlanta. A native of Cincinnati, he graduated from The Ohio State University in 1976 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Journalism.

I didn't say anything about Ludwig. I actually like him and have tremendous respect for Hal McCoy. I said the DDN is hardly respected -- because I like two people from the sports section of an organization doesn't mean that I must respect and like the paper.

I agree that Smith has been at a minimum "Solid" and at times far better, but a 1st and 3rd ?? I don't think the team would or should pass that up. Even if Smith signs the tender for this season, there is still next season to contend with and what are we going to do, throw the tag at him again ?? Start the rebuilding around younger, cheaper talent. This defense isn't going to be middle of the pack this year without prayers and luck to begin with... Bye Justin... F*ck Ginn at #18...

WHODEY !!!

If they want to trade Smith and rebuild, then I'd be all for Jarvis Moss or Jamaal Anderson. They're both only going to get bigger and stouter. Plus they're as quick twitched as they come, both off the snap and in reaction to the play.

I disagree with Ludwig completely.

first, while I'm sure that the Bengals would deal Smith, he doesn't have a market. it's a great draft for DE's, and Smith is very pricy. As such, he would appear to have very limited trade value.

I also can't imagine that the Bengals will match an offer sheet to Andrews. The second round compensation pick is much more valuable to them given their needs on defense.

Did I miss something regarding big Stacy? If so, sorry in advance. I have heard a number of times that the Bengal would be compensated with a 2nd round pick if Andrews signs elsewhere. Why would they receive anything higher than a 4th?

Andrews, a restricted free agent was given a 2nd round tender by the Bengals in order to protect their interest.

Thanks. I thought that anything after a 1st round tender was based on the round in which they were selected. It makes sense though, because teams should be rewarded for drafting well. A 2nd round pick would ease the blow of losing Stacy.