ESPN post Strength of Schedules

Spor_tees

ESPN posted this years strength of schedules for each NFL team and once again the Bengals got screwed. Even though they didn't even make the playoffs, they tied for the toughest schedule with the Steelers.

The Ravens aren't that far behind, but what amazes me is that the Bears who were just in the Super Bowl, have the second easiest schedule in the league whereas the Raiders who had the WORST record in the league have the toughest schedule. Is the NFL sending Al Davis a message?

2007 Strength of schedule

Team Opponents' '06 win pct.

Raiders .539

Bills .539

Patriots .535

Titans .520

Colts .516

Chiefs .516

Jets .516

Dolphins .512

Steelers .512

Bengals .512

Ravens .508

Browns .508

Jaguars .508

Broncos .504

Lions .504

Texans .504

Chargers .504

Redskins .500

Vikings .500

Eagles .500

Cowboys .496

Giants .496

Packers .492

Seahawks .488

Saints .484

Panthers .477

Buccaneers .473

Rams .473

Falcons .473

49ers .469

Bears .465

Cardinals .461

Strength of Schedule

I'm confused on how the Bengals got screwed. I'm kind of glad we're in the upper tier of strength schedules, that way, we don't have to take crap from the media saying the only reason we're winning is because our schedule is easy.

Please explain your thoughts on how we got screwed.

Because EVERY year the Bengals seem to have a upper level strength of schedule, whether they finish first place in their division or last...honestly how can that be? Something is flawed with the system when a team like the Raiders finishes dead last in the NFL and then has the toughest schedule in the NFL the following year.

I'm confused on how the Bengals got screwed. I'm kind of glad we're in the upper tier of strength schedules, that way, we don't have to take crap from the media saying the only reason we're winning is because our schedule is easy.

Because EVERY year the Bengals seem to have a upper level strength of schedule, whether they finish first place in their division or last...honestly how can that be? Something is flawed with the system when a team like the Raiders finishes dead last in the NFL and then has the toughest schedule in the NFL the following year.

Isn't the scedule you play determined by who is in your division and who you play the previous season?

You also have to think who is in the Raiders division. Chargers, Broncos, and Kansas City are all playoff caliber teams. That's partially why they have the toughest schedule this year.

It's all about what division you play in. The Bears get an "easy" sked even though they were in the Super Bowl because they play six games against their chump division rivals, the Vikes, Packers and Lions. OTOH, the raiders get it up the tailpipe because they have to play six games against the Chargers, Broncos and Chiefs.

As for the Bengals, they draw four games against Pitt and Baltimore, two tough teams, ever year.

Dolphins schedule was obtained by a local paper.

Sun-Sentinel Article

Week 17 (12/30/07)

Bengals @ Fins

Certainly a winnable game to close out the season...if we need a win to get into the playoffs this is a good place to play Miami. :sure:

Especially when the Dolphins are already out of the playoff hunt and are just trying to secure a good draft pick...

When you play those in your division twice and your division is tough, then.......(Raiders)

OR

When you play those in your division twice and your division sucks, then......(Bears)

Dolphins schedule was obtained by a local paper.

Sun-Sentinel Article

Week 17 (12/30/07)

Bengals @ Fins

Certainly a winnable game to close out the season...if we need a win to get into the playoffs this is a good place to play Miami. :sure:

I'd be more worried about six of Porter's friends coming out trying to sack Palmer. However, I feel confident Levi Jones will get his payback. Even if he has to Grindhouse their asses...

This is an NFC-AFC thing, check it out. Because the AFC is so dominant, there's a strong disparity. Note that the Bengals have the 8th hardest schedule in the AFC, so right around the middle of the pack. I'll take that.

This is exactly the point I was going to make. Look at all the teams at the bottom...NFC teams. While AFC teams are all at the top. It just demonstrates the superiority of the AFC over the NFC. Looks like a decnet schedule to me, especially compared to this past yr.