The Dancing Bear to the Jets?

Angry Boy

Not Jets Yet

By Tom Rock

Both of the restricted free agents who visited the Jets today left without an offer from the team. According to Richard Moran, the agent for Bengals OT Stacy Andrews, the Jets are “doing their homework.” But they have yet to turn in any term papers.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/blog/

From Bengals.com:

"Word out of New York on Friday is that the Jets don't plan to sign Bengals backup offensive lineman Stacy Andrews to an offer sheet. Andrews, a restricetd free agent, visited the Jets earlier this week. Teams have another week—until April 20—to sign RFAs. Teams then have until the day before the draft—April 27—to match."

Good news i think, id rather take solice in knowing the O-Line is solid and deep instead of wondering what we're gonna spend a new 2nd rounder on (and worrying about carson's butt)

Win-win, IMO.

2nd round pick? Good deal.

Keep Stacy in the fold? Good deal.

Ditto.

But, it gets more and more difficult to let him go with each season.

I doubt ANYONE would of objected to this trade around this time last year.

From Bengals.com:

"Word out of New York on Friday is that the Jets don't plan to sign Bengals backup offensive lineman Stacy Andrews to an offer sheet. Andrews, a restricetd free agent, visited the Jets earlier this week. Teams have another week—until April 20—to sign RFAs. Teams then have until the day before the draft—April 27—to match."

Good news i think, id rather take solice in knowing the O-Line is solid and deep instead of wondering what we're gonna spend a new 2nd rounder on (and worrying about carson's butt)

Same here.

• 2 weeks later...
Am I the only one surprised that the Bengals haven't been able to sign any of their RFA's to contracts longer than one year?

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't expect anything different. What were they going to make a long-term offer with? They have no cap space, something I've been saying for weeks, but what do I know, I'm just a whiney Moe, right? <_< And why would guys like Landon or Stacy be in a hurry to sign, with mid-tier player prices on the rise and a chance of cashing in nicely on the horizon?

IF the Bengals can reach a deal with Justin and free up a couple millon, they might have some ammo to get a deal done. Maybe two if injuries are kind and they have some of that injury reserve left in December.

I will say that there's no excuse for not getting a deal done with Kyle Larson. They could definitely get something long-term that lowers his $1.3m hit.

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't expect anything different. What were they going to make a long-term offer with? They have no cap space, something I've been saying for weeks, but what do I know, I'm just a whiney Moe, right? <_<

I'll agree that you're just a whiney Moe, perhaps the biggest of them all, but you shouldn't let it bother you. You've always been my favorite whiner and in my humble opinion nobody would mistake you for just another garden-variety crank. In short, you're no Steakhouse.

:sure:

That said, I have to admit I have a hard time keeping track of how much money you think the Bengals have available at any given moment. But if they're still in the running for players like Hartwell and a backup QB then they have to have something left, ehhh?

I do think you're probably right about players like Landon and Stacy preferring one-year deals due to the overwhelming desire to reach free agency and cash in. In fact, it seems like there are more one-year deals being reported by other teams too. It just struck me as odd that ALL of the players agreed to one-year tenders.

It's always nice to be appreciated...I think.

That said, I have to admit I have a hard time keeping track of how much money you think the Bengals have available at any given moment. But if they're still in the running for players like Hartwell and a backup QB then they have to have something left, ehhh?

The trouble is in the "if and buts" the Bengals themselves attach to their space. They probably have about $8m or so of cap space available, but that includes the rookie pool and the injury reserve, both of which they subtract before looking at FA. That leaves them with just a mill or two they are willing to play with. Certainly enough for a backup QB, though if I read the bengals.com tea leaves right, not enough for Hartwell. We'll see.

I do think you're probably right about players like Landon and Stacy preferring one-year deals due to the overwhelming desire to reach free agency and cash in. In fact, it seems like there are more one-year deals being reported by other teams too. It just struck me as odd that ALL of the players agreed to one-year tenders.

Well, the other factor is that it takes two to tango, and we are assuming that the Bengals actually want all these guys long-term. Cap issues aside, they may simply think that some or all of them are flops. I would say they certainly want Larson long term, and would like Stacy but he'll probably command too much coin. But the minimum tenders for Landon and Caleb and Brooks suggest to me they were fishing for draft picks. But no one bit.