Eric Henderson moves to SSLB

TJJackson

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure.....it's all hype for now, til we see what he does in camp, scrimmages, preseason, and (hopefully) a real game.

Let's just say it is easier to get excited about this guy than, say, Chris Manderino or Greg Guenther.

One thing I think (I hope) we can all agree on is that he probably cant make our low ranked defense any worse.....as bad as it has been, I am interested in player turnover on the defensive side....try to find the right mix that can raise the overall play of the unit.

I agree that his best chance to make the roster is if he plays special teams, and I have to admit, fan of special teams that I am, I have heard nothing about any special teams work he has done

All we need is an experienced lb to lead our young guys, I hope that if Edgerton Hartwell is healthy we would bring him in for a look-see.

I agree that Henderson's best shot of seeing any action comes from being a special teams monster, I hope these young guys can get over their ego and embrace whatever role the coaches give them.

I like Henderson and I hope he has success, I wish him the best luck.

There is also an opportunity for a situational pass rusher role ala geathers and pollock(now gone). If he does have that freeny-esque quicks he could thrive there, move justin inside on third and long we can loop and stunt like crazy. He was moderately impressive in preseason(as rook) at that role and losing 10-15 pounds could really help the initial step/burst. Geathers was a slug with 15+ pounds and now is a lean quick cat.

Sure.....it's all hype for now, til we see what he does in camp, scrimmages, preseason, and (hopefully) a real game.

Let's just say it is easier to get excited about this guy than, say, Chris Manderino or Greg Guenther.

One thing I think (I hope) we can all agree on is that he probably cant make our low ranked defense any worse....

True dat.

I'm indifferent to this move, because I haven't heard much of anything about his development as a DE. Who knows if this move was made because Henderson was struggling as an end or because the coaches liked his chances to provide some depth at LB.

Between he and Frostee, I'd say Frostee has a much higher likelihood of making the team. He was the third round pick after all, and the coaches wouldn't have made that pick without seeing something in him they liked.

I'm indifferent to this move, because I haven't heard much of anything about his development as a DE. Who knows if this move was made because Henderson was struggling as an end or because the coaches liked his chances to provide some depth at LB.

Between he and Frostee, I'd say Frostee has a much higher likelihood of making the team. He was the third round pick after all, and the coaches wouldn't have made that pick without seeing something in him they liked.

Bingo.

People also said Marvin reached for Peko and Madieu... (I was bothered by the Peko pick, looks like I was wrong).

I love this move for the simple fact that he could be a leader on this defense if givin time and oppertunity to do so. I really think they should make a spot for him on special teams and maybe a starter if he does well and learns fast. He cant be any worse than what they have on the field now half the time i wonder if our own LBs know how to play there postion since they are always out of there gaps and stuff. So i say give this guy a shot who knows could be our next great LB.

Not Currently Under contract

Landon

Caleb

They are effectively under contract. As an RFA, you can either sign your tender and play under that, work out a long-term deal, or spend your Sundays this fall raking leaves and watching the NFL on TV. Both will be here.

I agree with Hoosier Cat because nobody is about to offer them a contract and give up draft picks for either one, not even a third round draft pick. If Henderson can't crack that lineup of linebackers this fall then he's not that good anyway. Our linebacker lineup has to be one of the weakest in the NFL, I'm not very optomistic about David Pollack I have not seen anybody come back from a injury like that and come back playing at a high level. But guess what there always has to be a first and maybe he can be that, but I guess who cares as long as he believes in himself.

I just remember he wasen't that impressive vs 3rd stringers in the preseason games...

He wasn't as impressive last preseason due in no small part to the fact that they had him play defensive tackle much of the time he was playing

***Tackle****

Not end (which is his natural position)

Tackle.

He nonetheless got a sack and forced a fumble in limited play time

Review those tapes :-) I was watching this player closely then, and remembering thinking "why the hell are they playing him at tackle?"

I don't feel like fitting Eric Henderson up for a Pro Bowl jersey just yet either :-)

However

Might you take a look at the stats for Adalius Thomas?

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/187661

Take note that year 1, there's really nothing, and for the next 4 years, nothing spectacular. It's only in year 5 that the leap to stardom occurs.

Again.....I am NOT intending to compare the two fellows....rather just saying not every star player rockets out the gate in year 1. I'd be happy if he merely is healthy and productive this year - preferably on defense, and failing that, on special teams.

I like the idea of having athletic football players on the defense. Sounds like from what you all have been saying, this guy was just as good as Mario Williams injuries aside. So, if he is a little short to play DE, LB may prove to be his niche. He definitely has more size and strength than the LBs we have now. RBs won`t look like pinballs bouncing off of Henderson as they do Johnson and Miller.

I found it pretty hard to look at Henderson as the next Adelius Thomas. If he was anywhere near that good, he wouldn't have been on the practice squad last year for the entire year.

Thomas was taken in the 6th round? and diden't have the toe injury or history henderson does...He also took how long to become a stud? the first time he hit FA no one was really that intrested so the ravens got him cheap.

Took him 5+ years for 8 sack season 7 for a 10+ season,

He also played in only 3 games logging in 0 stats his first season.

PS,Dammit TJ > me

I found it pretty hard to look at Henderson as the next Adelius Thomas. If he was anywhere near that good, he wouldn't have been on the practice squad last year for the entire year.

Thomas was taken in the 6th round? and diden't have the toe injury or history henderson does...He also took how long to become a stud? the first time he hit FA no one was really that intrested so the ravens got him cheap.

Took him 5+ years for 8 sack season 7 for a 10+ season,

He also played in only 3 games logging in 0 stats his first season.

PS,Dammit TJ > me

The problem I have, is as bad as the Bengals defense was this year and as many injuries as they had, he still wasn't good enough to come off the practice squad and play one snap this season. That is the point I was trying to make. So why should I believe that he is going to be so good? The Bengals used to have an athletic guy a couple of years ago in Kalied Abdulah, too bad he destroyed his ankle, because if anyone, I think he would have become what Adelius Thomas is.

Well at least Thomas got drafted, even if it was in the 6th round....Henderson didn't even get drafted.

*shrug*

More undrafted (never drafted or taken in rounds later than round 7, for sake of comprison to today) players:

TE Antonio Gates

RB Priest Holmes

RB Willie Parker

QB Kurt Warner

K Adam Vinatieri

WR Rod Smith

LB London Fletcher

QB Jake Delhomme

DE Adewale Ogunleye

C Jeff Saturday

I could name many more, but I think that's sufficient for the point. There are some people who actually (I know, it's hard to believe) consider some of these undrafted fellows to have been pretty good football players, if you can believe that.

Bengal great NT Tim Krumrie was drafted in the 10th round. In terms of today's draft, he'd have gone undrafted

Hell...Tom Brady was taken in the 6th and he's got 3 Rings.

I think we didn't pull him off of the practice squad last year because we were pretty deep the entire season at DE and since he didn't do any training at LB there was no reason to have him on the active roster.

I also remember when we signed him, the Bengals gave him $10,000 signing bonus which is a bit large for an undrafted rookie. I believe the usual bonus is around $3000. So that tells me the kid is definetily gifted.

Yeah, yeah. There are tons of undrafted free agents that make big impacts. But they are the exception, not the rule. For every undrafted free agent that turns into Antonio Gates, there are hundreds and hundreds that never play a single down.

My guess is that Henderson will be something in between. A guy who can fill in as a situational pass-rusher, decent depth, and special-teamer.

I'm really not a Hendeson "hater" - and as a Bengal fan, I'd love him to become the next "great" undrafted free agent. Unfortunately, the odds are against him. Time will tell, but I'm not holding my breath. That's all I'm saying.

*shrug*

More undrafted (never drafted or taken in rounds later than round 7, for sake of comprison to today) players:

TE Antonio Gates

RB Priest Holmes

RB Willie Parker

QB Kurt Warner

K Adam Vinatieri

WR Rod Smith

LB London Fletcher

QB Jake Delhomme

DE Adewale Ogunleye

C Jeff Saturday

I could name many more, but I think that's sufficient for the point. There are some people who actually (I know, it's hard to believe) consider some of these undrafted fellows to have been pretty good football players, if you can believe that.

Bengal great NT Tim Krumrie was drafted in the 10th round. In terms of today's draft, he'd have gone undrafted

Any theories on how to tell the difference between the few eventual superstars, the middle-of-the-road guys, and the 100's of others who don't amount to much? How many of these undrafted guys were from small schools? How many had size/speed/strength concerns? How many had injury concerns which turned out to be unfounded? I know Gates didn't play ball and went to a small school so it's obvious why he wasn't drafted (but he's the exception, right?). I honestly don't know most of these players' backgrounds because I don't follow college ball.

Is there a discernable pattern as to the type of undrafted player who has the best shot of making good in the pros?

My guess is that Henderson will be something in between. A guy who can fill in as a situational pass-rusher, decent depth, and special-teamer.

Really going out on a limb there, huh? At this point, though, production even at that level will be welcomed on our team.

Woo! Post #100!

I guess I will add here that the Bengals coaches have certainly not forgotten about this guy - a switch to LB is something that a lot of thought and discussion would have gone into. Remember - when they last played him, they played him as a DT

I think the very fact that they've had that discussion tells me a lot of what they think about his athleticism and potential.

I guess I will add here that the Bengals coaches have certainly not forgotten about this guy - a switch to LB is something that a lot of thought and discussion would have gone into. Remember - when they last played him, they played him as a DT

You're the only one who seems to remember that. He lined up at DE all through the pre-season. I'm going back and watching the tapes, and still have yet to come across a play where he was lined up inside at DT. If he ever did, it was the exception rather than the rule, probably due to injury or something. But he was never considered a DT by the coaches never had any thought to play him at DT. I'm watching them playing around with Frostee Rucker and lining him up at DT in certain passing situation because of his strenght at the point of attack, but never Henderson.