Krumrie Kicks Branch's Butt

From PFT...

KRUMRIE BEATS UP BRANCH

Word trickling out of the Michigan Pro Day is that Chiefs defensive line coach Tim Krumrie roughed up defensive tackle Alan Branch in one of Krumrie's one-on-one slap fights.

Per a league source, Branch looked winded before he even got to the patented Krumrie spanking machine. At one point during his session with Krumrie, Branch appeared to be ready to quit.

Gil Brandt of NFL.com corroborates this in his Pro Day updates: "Tim Krumrie worked Branch hard during the position drills, and the scouts there said Branch did not look like he was in very good shape."

Krumrie, better known to most fans as the guy who got Theismanned during Super Bowl XXIII, is a legend in league circles for the no-pads hand-fighting test, to which he subjects many of the linemen he is scouting.

"It's Gladiator stuff," said one league source.

For Branch, who is projected by many as a top-ten pick, the end result apparently was thumbs down.

:lmao: Thanks, Tim! Maybe he will fall to us now...

There is talk about him getting past the Rams (if he got past the other teams, I think he ends up at Miami), if that was the case he could very well get to us although I haven't heard mention of us being interested in him (not that that means we aren't).

I guess we'll see...

18. Cincinnati Bengals – Michigan defensive lineman Alan Branch. The Bengals have had a run of bad luck between injuries (David Pollack) and arrests, but they could catch a break with a formidable front-four defender slipping into their lap. Branch has top-10 skill and ability, but he has had just average workouts and even looked a bit out of shape at his pro day. He can be a bit too fine at times, and some worry about whether he will be a great playmaker, but the Bengals would gamble on his upside at this portion of the first round.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about the above it played out that way.

I'm not a very big Branch fan and for a couple of months have considered him one of the more overrated players in the draft. But that opinion was reached in response to overwhelming speculation that Branch was a Top 10 player. But if he somehow "dropped" to the Bengals at #18.......AND Okoye, Revis, Willis, Carricker, Hall, and seemingly every other prospect I have on my short list was off the board then obviously things start to change.

I'm not sure I'd even like taking Branch at 18. In fact, I know I wouldn't. I get a bad vibe, Travis Johnson style.

I'm also concerned about taking Branch at 18 -- he reminds me of Jimmy Kennedy, who St. Louis drafted a few years ago.

If Willis, Timmons or Revis or Nelson are also available at 18 -- I hope we take one of them and NOT Branch

AND Okoye, Revis, Willis, Carricker, Hall, and seemingly every other prospect I have on my short list was off the board then obviously things start to change.

Carriker is still on your list? and you would take him over Branch eh?

I'll take my chances with a boom or bust like branch then a 2nd round talent whos been overhyped in to the 1st.

:angry:

I'm fine with Branch at 18. Defensively, I don't think this draft has more than 3 or 4 blue-chip players, all of whom will be gone long before we pick. I don't see him as any more likely to bust than anyone else who'll be there.

Agreed,I don't see him being that much different then Ngata from last year...

Branch rnd 1 ;) Fred Bennett rnd 2 LB rnd 4 ^_^

AND Okoye, Revis, Willis, Carricker, Hall, and seemingly every other prospect I have on my short list was off the board then obviously things start to change.

Carriker is still on your list? and you would take him over Branch eh?

Why shouldn't Carricker remain on my short list? Franchise tagging Justin Smith was the only way for the Bengals to keep their best options alive, but those options include waiting to see who falls to the Bengals in the draft, trading Smith for additional draft picks, or drafting a replacement who allows the team to let Smith go after the coming season. I remain open to all of those options. In addition, I'm the guy who actually likes the 290 lb. Elephant DE over the 245 lb. Flying Ragdoll.

Again, it all depends on which players are available on draft day. In the scenario painted by that mock there's a huge run on defensive talent in the dozen or so picks made before #18. In fact, I think only 3 offensive prospects are picked during that run....leaving Branch as the highest rated defender. And like I said, I'm not a big fan of the guy.

To be perfectly fair I don't hate him either, but you're perfectly correct to call him a boom or bust type, and that's pretty faint praise if you ask me.