Rose admits to betting on Reds every night

WhoDeyForever

Pete Rose revealed Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team and that the Dowd Report was correct when it said he did so.

Rose spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame. The exhibit will be on display for 11 months.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

Rose accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989, but denied for nearly 15 years that he bet on baseball. He finally acknowledged in his latest autobiography, published in January 2004, that he made baseball wagers while he managed the Cincinnati Reds.

Rose said he doesn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame anymore, but if he is reinstated, he hopes to manage again in the majors.

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [selig's] mind," Rose said.

Rose said he believes it should be up to each individual owner whether he should manage in the majors again.

"[it's] all about dollars, Dan and Keith. If I was ever reinstated. If an owner don't want to win and draw people, don't call my number," Rose said.

Major League Baseball's Hit King also said he thinks that Mark McGwire is getting a raw deal from the writers voting for the Hall of Fame. The reason he said he supported McGwire is because nothing has been proven and they're all "allegations."

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

McGwire wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot in January because of allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs in his career.

Rose admits he made a mistake in betting on baseball.

"I made a big mistake. It's my fault, It's nobody's else's fault," Rose said. However, he said he should be reinstated because "I'm the best ambassador baseball has."

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company.

The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a record 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

Pete Rose revealed Wednesday that he bet on the Reds "every night" while he was manager of the team and that the Dowd Report was correct when it said he did so.

Rose spoke Wednesday with Dan Patrick and Keith Olbermann on ESPN Radio to discuss the new Pete Rose exhibit that will be on display at the Great American Ballpark as part of the Reds Hall of Fame. The exhibit will be on display for 11 months.

"I bet on my team every night. I didn't bet on my team four nights a week. I was wrong," Rose said.

Rose said that he believed in his team so much that he bet on them to win every night.

"I bet on my team to win every night because I love my team, I believe in my team," Rose said. "I did everything in my power every night to win that game."

Rose accepted a lifetime ban for gambling in 1989, but denied for nearly 15 years that he bet on baseball. He finally acknowledged in his latest autobiography, published in January 2004, that he made baseball wagers while he managed the Cincinnati Reds.

Rose said he doesn't worry about getting into the Hall of Fame anymore, but if he is reinstated, he hopes to manage again in the majors.

"I quit worrying about it," Rose said about the Hall. The former Reds great said that he thought he was going to be reinstated when he met with commissioner Bud Selig before his book came out. Rose said he met with Selig about a year before the book came out and told him everything that was in the book.

"I really thought I was going to be reinstated. Something changed [selig's] mind," Rose said.

Rose said he believes it should be up to each individual owner whether he should manage in the majors again.

"[it's] all about dollars, Dan and Keith. If I was ever reinstated. If an owner don't want to win and draw people, don't call my number," Rose said.

Major League Baseball's Hit King also said he thinks that Mark McGwire is getting a raw deal from the writers voting for the Hall of Fame. The reason he said he supported McGwire is because nothing has been proven and they're all "allegations."

"Don't penalize McGwire because you think other guys are taking steroids," Rose said.

McGwire wasn't voted into the Hall of Fame in his first appearance on the ballot in January because of allegations he used performance-enhancing drugs in his career.

Rose admits he made a mistake in betting on baseball.

"I made a big mistake. It's my fault, It's nobody's else's fault," Rose said. However, he said he should be reinstated because "I'm the best ambassador baseball has."

Because of the ban, Rose is not eligible for induction into the Reds' or Baseball's Hall of Fame. He also is not allowed to be involved in most on-field activities, which has prevented the Reds from retiring his uniform No. 14.

Major League Baseball did include him in two events -- 1999's All-Century Team and 2002's 30 Memorable Moments -- that were sponsored by a credit card company.

The new exhibit includes more than 300 items from the career of Rose, who finished playing in 1986 with a record 4,256 hits. His total is reflected at the Reds' Hall in a three-story high wall of baseballs -- one for each hit.

------------

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2798498

Rose is a douchebag, he is not responsible enough to be a manager again!!!! Keep him outta the hall forever, he doesnt deserve it!!!!

Just a shot in the dark, but Macguire should have been a unanimous first vote inductee though right.

It is ridiculous to keep the hit's king out of baseball for betting on his team to win, there is no conflict of interest there. If he ever bet against his team, than he should be banned forever for cheating, not betting.

You miss the point about there is no conflict of interest... If he made decisions on lets say to bring a pitcher in to win a game just because he has a lot of money on a game and screw the next game starting rotation... I am with you on that he should be in the hall, but never in baseball again.

Just a shot in the dark, but Macguire should have been a unanimous first vote inductee though right.

It is ridiculous to keep the hit's king out of baseball for betting on his team to win, there is no conflict of interest there. If he ever bet against his team, than he should be banned forever for cheating, not betting.

I knew he wouldnt be a first vote, cuz Espn will have you believe that he is guilty or using steroids!!!! Unless something is proven, then the man should get reasonable consideration!!!! Pete Rose violated the game, he straight violated the game, hits king or not, hes still a douchebag, and he should be kept out of the hall as a player as his punishment!!!! :angry:

Big Mac's involvement with steroids is even more obvious than Bonds'. I don't think he should be held out of the Hall though, because he wasn't the only one doing it by any stretch. Pete should be in the Hall, Mac should be in the Hall, and when he's finished -- Bonds should be in the Hall.

I just can't stand the entire debate.

1. Bonds will be in the hall, he was a HOF before and after roids.

2. Pete Rose is and has always been a loose cannon. He has a big mouth and an even bigger ego.

I detest Bud Selig, but Pete Rose is a MORON!!

Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot vvIdiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot Idiot

PETE ROSE IS AN IDIOT!!!!

After this, he will never get in the hall...Why? Why? Why would you say such a thing Pete?

The odds are (haha) you cannot win EVERY GAME in baseball. Even if you tried to you would mess up your pitching staff so bad by the end of the first half people would think you were a horrible manager.

So him betting everyday says to me, he was betting AGAINST the Red...no doubt about it.

I knew he wouldnt be a first vote, cuz Espn will have you believe that he is guilty or using steroids!!!! Unless something is proven, then the man should get reasonable consideration!!!! Pete Rose violated the game, he straight violated the game, hits king or not, hes still a douchebag, and he should be kept out of the hall as a player as his punishment!!!! :angry:

I hardly think your anger is directed towards conforming to baseball rules. So, tell us, why the strong opinion?

Big Mac's involvement with steroids is even more obvious than Bonds'. I don't think he should be held out of the Hall though, because he wasn't the only one doing it by any stretch. Pete should be in the Hall, Mac should be in the Hall, and when he's finished -- Bonds should be in the Hall.

I just can't stand the entire debate.

IMHO...if Barry Bonds, or any of the other alleged "Roid Rangers" gets in, then Pete should too.

IMHO...if Barry Bonds, or any of the other alleged "Roid Rangers" gets in, then Pete should too.

I agree. Unfortunately Bud Selig is a spineless whelp.

I disagree. I've never believed that one bad should make another bad more acceptable. Rose is at fault here. Everyone's anger should be directed at him. Selig's struggle is the steroid era, not Pete Rose.

And at Rose's defense, we kept hearing that if he came clean he'd have a "good" chance at getting in. So he came clean and people laugh at the guy. Talk about being confused... :huh:

And at Rose's defense, we kept hearing that if he came clean he'd have a "good" chance at getting in. So he came clean and people laugh at the guy. Talk about being confused...

He doesn't need to KEEP coming clean. Once was enough, everyone heard you, you friggin wrote a book about it. kinda of a "nah nah there I said it" kind of apology too. Now he comes out, unprovoked, and says this non sense. The guy is just a dumb Ox, and he can't be helped.

He is liar, and a buffoon. He should have kept his mouth shut and cruised back into baseball's good graces. But noooo, not Pete Rose.

If Bonds and Mac, and Sosa "deserve" to have a plaque above their names in the Hall of fame, Rose should get in under the same cercumstance along with shoeless joe and others. That will never happen so Bonds will never see that plaque, and he will be the best HR hitter ever known.

I am just happy I got to see of the best ball players ever i Rose and Bonds.

Bonds can hardly be considered the best!!! The guy is a jerk, and a steroid monger!!! The best in the game right now hands down is Albert Pujols!!!!

And Mcgwire, heres the thing, he doesnt have to explain s**t to anyone, his life is his life, its not anyone elses business, but he gets crucified for not talking, so what!!! And if you really stop and think about it baseball has drug its feet with this steroid thing. And by that I mean, if these guys were using andro, for example, that to me says baseball needs to keep better track of their players!! The game has not done enough for this, thats why the government needs to get involved!!!

Accountability is the name of the game!!! If you are not held accountable then all there is...........is more chaos!!

I keep saying the NFL needs the same attitude!!!!

Bonds can hardly be considered the best!!!

Ya, your dead wrong.

Pujol's career numbers, awards and MVP's can't hold a candle to Bonds Career.....so far.

I am not saying in time he can't be better, but right now, not yet.

Two contexts going on here.

If you put either Pujols or Bonds in the lineup, who's the bigger threat? I'd vote Pujols.

If you compare careers, you're 100% correct.

Two contexts going on here.

If you put either Pujols or Bonds in the lineup, who's the bigger threat? I'd vote Pujols.

If you compare careers, you're 100% correct.

The only problem with that argument is that, Pujols and Bonds are in totally different realms as far as career paths go. Bonds is haning on for dear life trying to break the record (which he will this year).

Bonds in his prime Vs. Pujols in his prime....Tough call, putting roids aside, I'd take Bonds.

Takign roids into account, Id take Pujols...tough call

I do agree with you, Pujols now, but Bonds career is much better at this point, and no one is guaranteed 10+ years of playing like Bonds.

P.S.

Bonds has 5 home runs this spring.....