Marvin Got To Go?

cinci_bengals

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Marvin should be fired.

He has proven that he cannot satisfy the masses in free agency, makes enemies among local writers, drafts terrorists, and regularly lies to the Cincinnati fanbase because he is an arrogant tool. All the while, he stays nestled safely in Mike Brown's lap, chewing on his Kroger brand dog bone.

:huh:

How about we look at the initial argument from a new perspective? Rather than say "is it time for Marvin to hang up" what if we looked at it from the point "how long would you be prepared to continue with mediocre seasons?"

Now - don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Marvins head. Considering the enormity of the task he took I think he's worked wonders, but 1 winning season from 4, a 35-29 overall record, a 4-4 home record last year, 3 previous 5-3 home records. Now I know there's been injuries and I know we were a poor team to start with, but Marvin came with a reputation and a pedigree. Do we all think the Bengals should have done better over this period, did we as fans all have aspirations/expectations that haven't been fulfilled? Of course, the answer is YES!

So, just playing devils advocate :devil2: (and because it's a quiet start to the day for me) lets say next season we finish 8-8, or even worse. How about if we don't make the play-offs for the next two seasons? Do you think Marvin will still be HC then? Personally I doubt it.

How about we look at the initial argument from a new perspective? Rather than say "is it time for Marvin to hang up" what if we looked at it from the point "how long would you be prepared to continue with mediocre seasons?"

Now - don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for Marvins head. Considering the enormity of the task he took I think he's worked wonders, but 1 winning season from 4, a 35-29 overall record, a 4-4 home record last year, 3 previous 5-3 home records. Now I know there's been injuries and I know we were a poor team to start with, but Marvin came with a reputation and a pedigree. Do we all think the Bengals should have done better over this period, did we as fans all have aspirations/expectations that haven't been fulfilled? Of course, the answer is YES!

So, just playing devils advocate :devil2: (and because it's a quiet start to the day for me) lets say next season we finish 8-8, or even worse. How about if we don't make the play-offs for the next two seasons? Do you think Marvin will still be HC then? Personally I doubt it.

He might be gone but I doubt it. I think the Bengals brass thinks highly of Marvin regardless of some of the other issues you mention. They look at him not only as a coach but as a community figure that they never had in a previous coach. The closest might have been Sam Wyche.

I think you might see a reshuffling or removal of position coaches before Marvin ever leaves. Just my humble opinion.

PS: Gotta love Mr. Crabs.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes,

But why would you want to let go of Kaesfeharn or how ever you speLl it and let go of Brian Simmons(TO CLEV.)

His name is Kaesviharn and both him and Brian Simmons went to New Orleans not Cleveland.

I'll reply to what ever I want when I want.

Watch your attitude.

Just me personally I think that it is too early to be talking about firing MLewis...Yes we have had only 1 winning season and 3, 8-8 seasons but look what we had before that...I thought that the D would be a whole lot better, but still you don't fire MLewis...Maybe he needs to change position coaches or something but I am not ready to fire him yet, let alone replace him with WHO????

In 2003, Marvin took one of the most moribund franchises in sports history to their first non-losing season in many years. In the process he changed all of our expectations from expecting to lose to expecting to win. That was huge. Great job coach.

In 2004, ML took a team with a first year starting QB who played poorly in his first 7 games and not at all in his last 3 1/2. Despite that, we wound up pretty close to the playoffs. Again, good job coach.

In 2005 we go 11-5 with a division title. Good job here cannot be denied.

In 2006 he took a team that faced more adversity than any I have seen in my 45 years as an NFL fan and had three chances to make the playoffs. We came up a little short but we also got screwed in Tampa, a game that would have gotten us in. Given the unprecedented adversity for the '06 team and how close we came, I'd say good job again.

Yes, the D needs to improve but calling for ML's head is very shortsighted in my mind.

Let's put this to bed until next year.

Another division title will put this ridiculous banter away for good.

WHO DO U THINK?MARVIN HARRISON?THIS IS A BENGALS BOARD KIRKENDALL

Well f**k me. I've been here over four years and this is the first I've heard of this! Billy, Joisey, TDB, Jakster... help me out here. Does he speak the truth?

Well, it would explain all the Cincinnati Bengals football talk and pictures and orange and black color scheme and all that...but yeah I still think it's a stretch. :lol:

WHO DO U THINK?MARVIN HARRISON?THIS IS A BENGALS BOARD KIRKENDALL

Well f**k me. I've been here over four years and this is the first I've heard of this! Billy, Joisey, TDB, Jakster... help me out here. Does he speak the truth?

Well, it would explain all the Cincinnati Bengals football talk and pictures and orange and black color scheme and all that...but yeah I still think it's a stretch. :lol:

You mean this isn't a board for prison inmates? :unsure:

In 2003, Marvin took one of the most moribund franchises in sports history to their first non-losing season in many years. In the process he changed all of our expectations from expecting to lose to expecting to win. That was huge. Great job coach.

In 2004, ML took a team with a first year starting QB who played poorly in his first 7 games and not at all in his last 3 1/2. Despite that, we wound up pretty close to the playoffs. Again, good job coach.

In 2006 he took a team that faced more adversity than any I have seen in my 45 years as an NFL fan and had three chances to make the playoffs. We came up a little short but we also got screwed in Tampa, a game that would have gotten us in. Given the unprecedented adversity for the '06 team and how close we came, I'd say good job again.

Yes, the D needs to improve but calling for ML's head is very shortsighted in my mind.

Kodos '68 for reminding those that lack basic memory retention skills just how integral Lewis has made to make this team truly a competitor against the best conference in football.

If anyone can argue against this, I'd be interested in your take. It's been two days since this thread quieted down -- especially after '68 made his point.

Kodos '68 for reminding those that lack basic memory retention skills just how integral Lewis has made to make this team truly a competitor against the best conference in football.

If anyone can argue against this, I'd be interested in your take. It's been two days since this thread quieted down -- especially after '68 made his point.

Ok listen,

I really do agree with you but I wanted to spark a conversation.I wanted to hear other people's opinions.

That's a stupid reason for starting a thread. Start threads with points you actually believe, how about that?

It would generate discussion, I am sure, if I started one that was entitled "Carson Palmer a girly douche who can't win games that matter", but since I don't believe that, why do that?

Just sayin'...

Is that my cue? :lol:

I'm not at all in the "fire Marvin" camp, if such a thing actually exists, but I will say that I think he has not yet got this team over the proverbial hump.

Going from 2-14 in 2002 to 8-8 in 2003 and '04 is a praiseworthy achievement. But in many ways going from 2-14 to 8-8 is the easy part. Even during the Lost Decade the team managed to dance around .500 for several years. The hard part is getting from the 8th win to that 10th win.

Marvin's done that once -- but just as you can argue that last season's slip was the result of a record amount of injuries, suspensions, and bad luck, you can also argue that '05 owed a lot to outside circumstances, too. That year, the Bengals were remarkably injury-free (up to, of course, the playoff game). The 2005 schedule was the closest thing to a cakewalk Marvin has had here, as the division drew the putrid NFC North. And Carson Palmer had a jaw-dropping season.

The challenge for Marvin is to put together an organization that can consistently ring that 10-win bell, like Cowher did in Pitt. He might have had the makings of that team last year, before the roof caved in. Now we're in a bit of a rebuilding mode; my expectations are pretty low for this year. But I think that 2008 will tell us a lot.