Ludwig: Okoye Tops Bengals Draft Board

Any QB worth a salt shreds a zone with the kind of time the Bengals 4-man rush gives them. Man up and free some blitz to get more pressure. Okoye would at least be a pass rushing DT, which is compelling, but if that's all he is -- which is all he has been so far -- then they can use the 1st on a player they can get more out of who can stay on the field all downs or at least allow the Bengals to scheme beter with pressure.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any QB worth a salt shreds a zone with the kind of time the Bengals 4-man rush gives them. Man up and free some blitz to get more pressure. Okoye would at least be a pass rushing DT, which is compelling, but if that's all he is -- which is all he has been so far -- then they can use the 1st on a player they can get more out of who can stay on the field all downs or at least allow the Bengals to scheme better with pressure.

And that, in an excellent nutshell, is why I can believe Marvin has a huge man-crush on Amobi Okoye. The Bengals under Marvin aren't going to man up; he is not going to give up his reliance on the front four to create pressure, any more than Mikey is going to suddenly run out and throw $60m - $80m at some outside FA. We had a DC who used to try to "man up" and he's now wearing an Indianapolis SB ring.

In short, Marvin (and his yes-man, Breshnahan) will abandon their front-four-focused approach when someone pries it from their cold, dead hands.

Now, I'm not saying its the right approach, only that it is.

To me, the only question is whether their interest in Okoye is really just of the "gee, wouldn't it be nice if he fell to us?" variety -- or of a Mike Ditka-esque "I'll give up my whole draft for this guy" bent. I can actually see the latter. And in that case I could see a trade with the Bills at 12 (assuming Okoye does fall that far) of something like everything but our 6th for their 1st and 3rd. And the Bengals subsequently snatching Okoye at 12.

And that, in an excellent nutshell, is why I can believe Marvin has a huge man-crush on Amobi Okoye. The Bengals under Marvin aren't going to man up; he is not going to give up his reliance on the front four to create pressure, any more than Mikey is going to suddenly run out and throw $60m - $80m at some outside FA. We had a DC who used to try to "man up" and he's now wearing an Indianapolis SB ring.

In short, Marvin (and his yes-man, Breshnahan) will abandon their front-four-focused approach when someone pries it from their cold, dead hands.

Very well said. Unfortunately I guess you're right, I just wish Marvin would cave on that. We don't have a great front four, so I would like to see us improvise with what we have (Athletic LB's).

Honestly, day by day I think it's becoming more and more likely that the Bucs take Okoye at #4 or maybe trade down to 7 or 8 and take him. He's a great DT for the Tampa 2 and Jon Gruden fell in love with him at the Senior Bowl, he had an obvious man crush on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Please, no more 5'9'' corners, I still have nightmares of seeing Bauman leaping in futility at Randel El's pass back to cheeseburger. Yeah, he may be fast and he may have been great in college, but at 5'9'' against NFL receivers? I will take Revis and his size and physicality, Nelson, Ross, Hall, Griffin or the Fresno State kid over 5'9'' ESPECIALLY in the 1st round at that kind of money for 4 or 5 years...

Very well said. Unfortunately I guess you're right, I just wish Marvin would cave on that. We don't have a great front four, so I would like to see us improvise with what we have (Athletic LB's).

I'm not buying it. Lewis used a 1st round draft pick on a DE/OLB who was expected to fill the pass rushing Joker role for the next 6 or 7 years. All things considered I'd say that showed a pretty firm commitment to bringing consistent pass rush pressure from a position other than the front four.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, far too many people underestimate what the loss of David Pollack meant to the Bengals scheme last season, and how badly it set back the plans Marvin had.

Landry or Willis would be great if okoye is gone. :bengal:

You are talking about three top 10 or at worst top 15 players. No way they slip to us at 18, especially with all the teams ahead of us with the same or similar needs.

Player Class Position School

1. Calvin Johnson JR WR Georgia Tech

The best receiver prospect to come along in years and a physical freak.

2. Brady Quinn SR QB Notre Dame

A franchise signal caller who really has everything that you look for.

3. Joe Thomas SR OT Wisconsin

Could have been a Top 10 - 15 overall pick last year if not for injury.

4. JaMarcus Russell JR QB L.S.U.

Total package physically and might have the strongest arm in football.

5. Adrian Peterson JR RB Oklahoma

Terrific physical specimen and a rare player but durability is a concern.

6. LaRon Landry SR S L.S.U.

Ballhawk who has been extremely productive throughout his career.

7. Alan Branch JR DT Michigan

Versatile and could play either tackle or end depending on the scheme.

8. Gaines Adams SR DE Clemson

Sack artist who could rise if he picks up where he left off as a junior.

9. Amobi Okoye SR DT Louisville

Very talented and unique prospect who will be a 20-year-old rookie.

10. Jamaal Anderson JR DE Arkansas

Doesn't get a lot of national attention but he is a premier pro prospect.

11. Patrick Willis SR ILB Ole Miss

I've said it before and I'll say it again, far too many people underestimate what the loss of David Pollack meant to the Bengals scheme last season, and how badly it set back the plans Marvin had.

"crys for pollack" hopfully brooks can be what pollack was suppossed to be.

Please, no more 5'9'' corners, I still have nightmares of seeing Bauman leaping in futility at Randel El's pass back to cheeseburger. Yeah, he may be fast and he may have been great in college, but at 5'9'' against NFL receivers? I will take Revis and his size and physicality, Nelson, Ross, Hall, Griffin or the Fresno State kid over 5'9'' ESPECIALLY in the 1st round at that kind of money for 4 or 5 years...

isen't el only 5'10 or 5'11? even if he's 6'0 it's no worse then 5'11 corner facing off against a 6'3+ WR

plus Houston is just barley under 5'10

"crys for pollack" hopfully brooks can be what pollack was suppossed to be.

isen't el only 5'10 or 5'11? even if he's 6'0 it's no worse then 5'11 corner facing off against a 6'3+ WR

plus Houston is just barley under 5'10

too bad those cookies he eated weren't wheaties! :lol:

:lmao:

You guys can forget about Rd. 2, our pick in rd. 2 will be Justin Durant mark my words.

If Nelson is there at 18 he is our pick, I love Okoye in a Bengals uniform but I think he'll go in the 9-13 range. I would pull a "Saints" deal to trade up to get Landry.

My gut, Michael Griffin in Rd. 1 and Durant in Rd. 2. I hope Matt Spaeth falls to us in Rd. 4 if not him then Jay Alford. I like Garret Wolfe in Rd. 5 or Paul Soliai. And I love Ryne Robinson with the last pick in the 7th rd.

BTW all this gets thrown out the window if Patrick Willis falls to us at 18, and I think there may be a possibility that Alan Branch falls alot farther than people think.

You guys can forget about Rd. 2, our pick in rd. 2 will be Justin Durant mark my words.

If Nelson is there at 18 he is our pick, I love Okoye in a Bengals uniform but I think he'll go in the 9-13 range. I would pull a "Saints" deal to trade up to get Landry.

My gut, Michael Griffin in Rd. 1 and Durant in Rd. 2. I hope Matt Spaeth falls to us in Rd. 4 if not him then Jay Alford. I like Garret Wolfe in Rd. 5 or Paul Soliai. And I love Ryne Robinson with the last pick in the 7th rd.

BTW all this gets thrown out the window if Patrick Willis falls to us at 18, and I think there may be a possibility that Alan Branch falls alot farther than people think.

Ok, so what IF Branch falls to us?

Do we still take Durant?

I would be happy with that.

Actually, I care less about the 1st round pick than I do pick #2 => Zach Miller!! If he's there, we grab him, and we are right back to being one of the top 3 Offensive teams where we need to be.