Ludwig: Okoye Tops Bengals Draft Board

blurb from his most rcent team update for the sporting news web site...

DRAFT BUZZ: Defensive tackle, linebacker and defensive back are the top priorities because the 30th-ranked defense needs more impact players. The club is hoping Louisville DT Amobi Okoye slips to No. 18. He'd be a perfect fit because he's a strong, quick, relentless defender who would push the pocket, create more sack opportunities for the ends and strengthen the run defense. If he's not there, the team would welcome Penn State LB Paul Posluszny, Florida FS Reggie Nelson or a cornerback such as Michigan's Leon Hall, Texas' Aaron Ross or Pitt's Darrelle Revis. Posluszny has the ability to play inside and outside. That's the kind of versatility the team loves. Nelson is an aggressive playmaker and enforcer in coverage who would bolster the soft secondary. A swift cover corner is needed to push mercurial veteran Deltha O'Neal, whose inconsistency is a major concern.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would love to see Nelson or Landry(not likely), as a quality safety can be the key to dominate secondary play and can shut down the run in support. Okoye, although loaded with potential, is still a manchild(19). Only 28 reps of 225 is nothing impressive for d lineman, but Im sure when he is 23 he will be a force. Do we want to wait 2-3 years for him to develop or draft an imediate impact player now! And he is quite intelligent from what i have read. Polsky, please not another injury risk...

I don't see Hall and Ross being our guys. Guys who play up on the line are best suited for our D and that's not Hall/Ross' style.

Nelson/Revis/Poz/Okoye I can see. Poz might not be the athlete that Marvin looks for but we could use a guy like him in our defense. Revis is the type of CB we need, Nelson is who I'm really hoping for... A playmaker. Okoye I don't think we will have to worry about.

I'm surprised to hear no mention of Timmons/Beason.

I think Okoye could make an immediate impact right away

I think his immediate impact would be freeing up 9 mill in salary over the next 2 years and I'm all for that! "GOOD BYE JOHN THORTON!" says samual lapp (think witness) :excited: But he is still weak needs time in the program to get stronger, learn the pro game and mature physically and mentally. Maybe your right though, and if so could be the guy to turn around our d line. Him and peko could be the future. (assuming peko gets fatter and stronger enough so as to not get blown off the line by doubles)

And as for Polsky, we have the same guy in nickolson, a big slower LB that can bring the wood inside but is lost outside the tackles.

And as for Polsky, we have the same guy in nickolson, a big slower LB that can bring the wood inside but is lost outside the tackles.

Poz ran a 4.65, I believe Nicholson ran a 4.88. Massive difference there.

Poz is on a completely different level than Nicholson. We've been drafting athletes for LB but maybe Poz is the guy we need to draft someone for their smarts and ability to react. Poz is one of the safer picks in the 1st round.

I think Poz as a rookie could give us what Simmons would as a vet...so if he's the best there then go for it.

Willis is a MLB who can play OLB in theory, Poz is a OLB who has played MLB. If we are gonna take Poz id rather trade down, but whatev as long as the pick is on defense. I'd hate to draft Willis and have Brooks break out and maybe, maybe have Odell back...then we're teaching one to play out of position (but we always do that).

I think Poz as a rookie could give us what Simmons would as a vet...so if he's the best there then go for it.

Willis is a MLB who can play OLB in theory, Poz is a OLB who has played MLB. If we are gonna take Poz id rather trade down, but whatev as long as the pick is on defense. I'd hate to draft Willis and have Brooks break out and maybe, maybe have Odell back...then we're teaching one to play out of position (but we always do that).

Ahmad is as well suited for SLB as he is MLB. If anything last year he was playing out of position at MLB. It really all depends on what Marvin sees as Odell's future. I personally would just prefer to stay away from a MLB. WLB yes (Timmons).

I think we're fine at SLB/MLB, just a matter of adding a WLB (maybe), Saftey (Nelson) and a #2 CB.

Poz ran a 4.65, I believe Nicholson ran a 4.88. Massive difference there.

Poz is on a completely different level than Nicholson. We've been drafting athletes for LB but maybe Poz is the guy we need to draft someone for their smarts and ability to react. Poz is one of the safer picks in the 1st round.

Diffence would be about a half a yard at 40, not a huge difference. The 40 is largely a product of technique and training. Not many backers have to run in a straight line from a sprinter stance for 40 yards in a game. More telling would be the shuttle times which you can look up and tell us about. Agility is the key to good backer play, change of direction and acceleration in a 10-15 yard burst. I thought Poslky looked stiff and bulky. But agreed we are fine at SLB/MLB and should look to shore up other positions on D.

Poz would probably be a safer pick as a run stopper than Timmons. He should be athletic enough to make use of his oft-advertised instincts. He's not that much less athletic than A.J. Hawk was, and is otherwise a very similar player.

I think he'd be a better fit as a MLB or SLB though... I'd worry about him matched up against tight ends or third down backs.

Poz would be a great pick , his is alot more athletic then ppl give him credit for and he is a natural leader.

he is quick, has solid COD, hardest working player in the draft, seriously watch his tape from last yr or the second half of this yr he is a beast we could really use him

Willis played some OLB his first 2 years.

Revis is the type of CB we need

Slow and unproven? gimme chris houston kthx.

His pro-day he will show while he's not a burner he isn't slow. JJ is the guy to match up on the fast guys, Revis would be for the bigger ones and given his ability in press coverage he'd be right up our alley, I wouldn't be bothered by Houston though.

nfl.com prospect profile of chris houston

Compares to: Ahmad Carroll, Jacksonville. -- You have to wonder if history is repeating itself here. Both are excellent athletes with good speed and great strength, but their power is negated by their reluctance to lend support vs. the run. Houston has good leaping ability and timing, but his poor hands have seen several potential interceptions turn into pass deflections. Like Carroll, Houston sometimes looks lost when it comes to play recognition, resulting in seven pass-interference calls in 2006. They talk about Houston holding Tennessee's Robert Meachem to only two catches, but one was good for a touchdown. Ball-concentration problems were evident when he failed to secure the ball properly and fumbled an interception in the Mississippi State game. Yes, he did hold Southern Cal's Dwayne Jarrett to 35 yards on five catches, but the Trojans were breaking in a new quarterback at the time. We have to wonder if the real Chris Houston is the one who was getting constantly turned around by Sidney Rice and crew in the South Carolina game (10 passes caught vs. Houston). Time will tell, but after Green Bay's fiasco with Carroll, "buyer beware" when looking at a similar cornerback.

I honestly hope we dont see him in stripes next year. He is another example of how a 40 time can get you in the first round and doesnt judge your playing ability. If he was there in the second, I would take him, but he isnt first round material. He has bad hands(already got that in Jjoe), bad play recgonition, bad against the run...doesnt sound too promising :unsure:

Houston has great feet, and just because he's a similar style player and from the same U as Carroll, doesn't mean he'll pan out the same. He's pretty much the exact opposite of Tory, and a replica of JJ. Blazing fast, strong, quick, and physical. I'll take two JJ's, please.

I'm much less uncomfortable about taking Poz than I was before watching the combine stuff. He ran pretty well, and he's obviously a really competitive, high-character guy. Hunley looked like he liked him. The one drill that Ricky ran, he seemed pretty impressed with Poz. In light of all the issues we've had, Poz is a safe pick.

Also, if we lose Caleb or Landon in free agency, what do you guys think of Tim Shaw with the third round compensation pick that we would get?

I, too, do NOT want Chris Houston in the first round!

Not only did Sidney Rice, (SC) catch passes over him all day -- so did Dwayne Bowe (LSU) and Paul Hubbard (Wisconsin). Hubbard had three receptions -- not bad --BUT, one was a 22 yd. touchdown; second was a 24 yd reception and the third was a seven yd reception PLUS a 15 yd penalty for a tackle by the face mask.

In six games, I saw one (1) interception ( it was a good play by Houston); two (2) fifteen yard penalties; two (2) TDs passes against him; one (1) tackle by Houston in support of the running game and one interference with the opportunity to make the catch penalty on a punt return. He has difficulty with receivers who run crossing routes.

I do NOT think we can afford to waste a first round pick on that kind of CB.

On the positive side, he could, and did, run stride for stride with quite a few good receivers. He looks very good in "bump and run" coverage.

He just doesn't make the plays on the ball or support the run defense like I think we need.

I want Moss, Timmons, Willis, Nelson, or maybe Okoye.

That's the downside to Houston in a nutshell. But it's all predicated on him playing man every down w/o help against probably 4 1st round WRs. There's no other CB in this draft as prepared to play the slot vs WRs in the NFL as Houston is and with his recovery speed, he's an ideal CB to develop as an island corner wide on the strongside where the CB is less involved in run defense -- like Deltha O'Neal.

Houston hasn't played any off coverage, which Deon Sanders pointed out during NFLN combine coverage. But Dick Vermeil's response pretty much summed up why Houston is the prospect that he is -- you can teach a man corner to play off coverage but you can't teach a zone corner to play man. But apparently Batman hasn't quite caught on yet. :lol:

There's no CB in this draft who could be there at #18 who isn't going to be a gamble. But Houston has got the best physical tools to work with among those most likely to be there. His 40 time is just a plus to what he already showed he can do, which is hang well with receivers down after down without any help. Give him help over top with decent safeties and those windows -- especially what Sidney Rice had -- close in a hurry.

Moss, Timmons, Willis and Nelson are great prospects and if it comes down to BPA over positional need, the Bengals obviously look hard. But I doubt any of those 4 or Okoye are still there when the Bengals pick.

There's no CB in this draft who could be there at #18 who isn't going to be a gamble.

I agree

Moss, Timmons, Willis and Nelson are great prospects and if it comes down to BPA over positional need, the Bengals obviously look hard. But I doubt any of those 4 or Okoye are still there when the Bengals pick.

I'm counting on one of these guys slipping to us at 18.

Every year it seems that someone slips during the draft -- I'm hoping this year that it is a defensive player.