Lets face it...Bengals do not get good free agents..

schnarfer

Well put. My meaning is the talent is less but the money, it seems, is more. And from memory, it seems the Bengals will make their moves next week sealing up depth players. Which is probably the only "need" at this point.

I think you're right about the talent/money ratio. That's probably a function of the climbing salary dollars, which have enabled every team, including the Bengals, to do a better job of locking up all the elite talents way ahead of FA. Eventually teams will have tens of millions they have to spend -- and only special teamers to spend it on.

I think the Bengals best move in the short term is to fish or cut bait with Justin. Either get a deal done so you have the freedom to strike if a likely mid-tier target pops up (or, alternatively, to go bring back RK and/or K2); or put him on the block, get what you can, and join the FA circus before all the top guys are gone.

You miss the point on some of the top tier free agents like Thomas. He was offered multiple contracts by hi old team but opted to become a free agent because he knew he would get more money. So not all free agents out there are only out there because they are yesterdays garbage. Players aren't dumb and know the same things that you and I know, the free agency players bring a lot more money than players who sign extensions generally.

With that said, I am sick and tired of hearing Mike Brown and Hobson's excessive babbling about the Bengals annually being pressed up against the cap and unable to sign any free agents, while other NFL teams who are reportedly lacking any cap space are out signing the big name free agents to enormous contracts. I can only stand being spun on lies for so long before I start to tune someone out and mistrust them. I truly wish Mike Brown would sell the Bengals. I know this sounds like blasphemy since his dad created them, but it is what it is, Mike Brown IS NOT Paul Brown. In fact he never will be.

You miss the point on some of the top tier free agents like Thomas. He was offered multiple contracts by hi old team but opted to become a free agent because he knew he would get more money. So not all free agents out there are only out there because they are yesterdays garbage. Players aren't dumb and know the same things that you and I know, the free agency players bring a lot more money than players who sign extensions generally.

Oh, I wouldn't say there's no talent in FA -- but I do agree with kirk that pool is not very deep. Certainly some players opt for FA in hopes of scoring big, and we may see that number grow if the cap (and thus the minimum, too) keep leaping upward.

Take out the top-ten available free agents, and you have scores of backup players... supply and demand, with great talent, will skyrocket value.

But those players know that, and that is why a lot of them turned down extensions with their old teams in order to become free agents and break the bank. Do you think that the Bengal didn't offer KK any kind of extension before free agency? I am sure they did, but knowing the Bengals it was low, and KK knew he would get more as a free agent. So, you get what we now have, Bengal's "role players" leaving for more money, and the Bengals standing pat and not signing anyone. How a team thinks it can get better doing this I don't now.

Here we go with another genius at the helm....

Props to you for correcting my claim that Webster made 11 tackles against the Dolphins. I didn't bother doing a stat check to get the actual numbers, but you did and found that the correct number was 10. Well, aren't you special? Heck, if I was your commanding officer I'd give you a peanut, and a friendly pat on your empty Marine skull.

By your own admission you gave Nate Webster less than three games to prove himself at MLB. In the process you conveniently ignore the fact that he made 17 tackles in less than two full games. But I guess the fact that he shredded his knee makes all of your whining sound like you knew what you were talking about...for once.

Sadly, I'm all out of cyber peanuts.

All I hear is whining.

That's what happens when the team finished 8-8 and has seen no noticeable improvements through one day of free agency and are, at least it seems, struggling to re-sign their depth guys. That also happens when multiple reports (media) give us multiple salary cap scenarios.

80 million for nate clements? 49 million for steinbach? Dude ill pass FA sucks.

This is a different FA year, IMHO. Contracts are going through the roof. The Bengals, from the looks of it, are taking the Cincinnati Reds road -- "holy crap, we ain't paying this much for a season of sky-rocketing deals". Who can blame them?

How about the fans who pretty much pay for the salaries? I don't know about you, but one 11-5 season is not good enough. This team played like crap last season, and for the last several years the defense has been terrible, yet the front office is simply not making any moves.

The fans who pay money for tickets and jerseys and everything else, the same ones who have supported this team for 20 years, through all the piss-poor management and awful seasons deserve better.

I think the Bengals best move in the short term is to fish or cut bait with Justin. Either get a deal done so you have the freedom to strike if a likely mid-tier target pops up (or, alternatively, to go bring back RK and/or K2); or put him on the block, get what you can, and join the FA circus before all the top guys are gone.

I'm betting they currently have the cap space to do any deal they're willing to do. There's simply no reason to create additional cap space until they learn if they can retain Kelly and K2 or attract a veteran LB.

In short, why would anyone willingly join the circus? Justin is as good as anyone left in free agency and the Bengals can probably retain him long-term simply by steadfastly refusing to put on clown makeup.

I still just hear people saying how we don't spend without naming the guys we should have spent money on.

Either Pat Williams or maybe Warren Sapp but as I said I think Sapp was using us to get more money (he said he didn't want Carson Palmer as his QB LOL). With Pat Williams we actually were tight on the cap although I think that deal could have been made, that's the only one that bothers me.

London Fletcher? He's on the wrong side of 30...

I hear complaining with no solutions. Everyone wants some big money FA but doesn't say who and we have a track record of not signing upper tier FA's and it working out (Arrington/Bell/Hartwell/Sharper) while signing guys like Tory James (worked out until old mans disease made him terrible), Bobbie Williams and trading for Deltha.

I still just hear people saying how we don't spend without naming the guys we should have spent money on.

Well, then you obviously haven't been reading the board very closely the past few weeks. Nate Clements, Daniel Graham, Adalius Thomas, Patrick Ramsey, and most recently Joey Porter have not only been mentioned, but have had one or more threads started about them. Many others have been mentioned: Harrington, Jerramy Stevens, London Fletcher-Baker, etc.

Now, you may not agree that the bengals should go after this or that guy -- but if you haven't seen any names then you just haven't been paying atterntion.

In the past though... Who in hindsight has you saying "the Bengals shouldn't have been cheap and they should've signed X player".

For this year... Clements/Graham(he wouldn't be worth that money in our offense)/Thomas are just unrealistic.

Baker is ancient, Stevens is a pass catching TE that can't catch, Harrington wouldn't want to backup Palmer - Same for Ramsey.

That leaves Porter as being the only option that makes some sense and his agent said he's seeking around 7 million a year (NOT WORTH IT!).

With that said, I am sick and tired of hearing Mike Brown and Hobson's excessive babbling about the Bengals annually being pressed up against the cap

How is bengals spending 25million of reported 25-27million babbling? I would say thats preatty close even after cutting Bsimms

With that said, I am sick and tired of hearing Mike Brown and Hobson's excessive babbling about the Bengals annually being pressed up against the cap

How is bengals spending 25million of reported 25-27million babbling? I would say thats preatty close even after cutting Bsimms

Welp I am glad to see at least one person has gotten caught up n their smoke screen. Kaz do you honestly believe that the Bengals don't have any money left to improve themselves despite all of the long term "big" contracts that has spread money into future years, yet al the other teams in the NFL have money to sign free agents and improve their team? Man, I didn't know the Bengals were so special like that. Maybe they have to operate under a different salary cap than any other team in the NFL.

Welp I am glad to see at least one person has gotten caught up n their smoke screen. Kaz do you honestly believe that the Bengals don't have any money left to improve themselves despite all of the long term "big" contracts that has spread money into future years

I know we have some room but not much compared to SF and Patriots who signed the top 2 defensive FA's...smoke screens huh thats why we were one of top 5 teams last year on paying out right? we diden't make carson the richest nfl player ever that was a smoke screen we really signed him to a 7 year deal that pays out 5million dollars oh and Justin Smith he really wasen't franchised he signed a 1 year deal worth 750,000 dollars...yup damn that cheap mr brown!

Image92.jpgImage92.jpgImage92.jpg

We need a smoke screen smiley lol. :lmao:

Ohwell time to brake out the :bag: since were gonna suck because we diden't sign nate clements or Thomas.

:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Since the beginning of the free agency era, the bengals have never been able to attract high profile players. When your biggest free agent signing in the past 10 years is Sam Adams you have problems. This offseason will be no exception. We will get a mediocre linebacker and maybe a decent DT but I would not hold your breath to see any real talent land in cincinnati. Here's to the draft!!

It's not that they don't attract free agency, they are not willing to shell out any money. I will give the Bengals some credit they know how to manipulate the hell out of Bengals fans by using the media. When they signed Nate Webster they really had me believing that he was the next Ray Lewis, please he was garbage all the way up into he got hurt. The Bengals pick up people that nobody else wants in the NFL, they are waiting to see who will be left two weeks from now and they will go after that guy and swear that he is a gem.

dead on.

Does anyone else remember Ashley Ambrose? I almost shat myself when the Bengals signed him, and that's the most excited I've ever been for a Bengals free agent.

Then again, I may have been ill at the time.

I thought this quote from USAToday was sort of funny ...

"A possible quiet free-agency period by the Bengals shows their confidence in the further development of many of their young, drafted players, who have matured in the past season. Shortcomings defensively are expected to be addressed almost exclusively through the draft."

See ... the free agency silence is simply a sign of organization confidence. I feel much better now.

I thought this quote from USAToday was sort of funny ...

"A possible quiet free-agency period by the Bengals shows their confidence in the further development of many of their young, drafted players, who have matured in the past season. Shortcomings defensively are expected to be addressed almost exclusively through the draft."

See ... the free agency silence is simply a sign of organization confidence. I feel much better now.

Well, to Lewis' credit, he said at the beginning that the team would only go after their own. Dude, we freaking have Doug Johnson back!!!!