Clements to 49ers...

CLEMENTS BLOWS OUT THE CURVE

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers have signed cornerback Nate Clements.

It's a mind-boggling eight-year, $80 million deal, with $22 million in guaranteed money, and it makes Clements the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history.

Clements was expected to be pursued by several teams. But he never got out of San Fran.

This is just crazy.

I would be pissed if the Bengals spent that much on Champ freaking Bailey. He'll never see all of it though.

Nope. And really, it's not all that nuts, from what's been reported. He'll get about $43m over 6 years, and that's the kind of money you pay for a starting corner in FA. And with all the cap space the 9ers have they can amortize a little extra of the SB this year so they don't create cap problems down the road.

Bittersweet news for Asante Samuel. He has to be upset about what he is missing out on, but this just drove up his franchise tag.

That's a good point. I'm glad Freeney was also franchised. Hopefully Kerney doesn't cash in big time (doubt he will given his age). We don't need the DE tag skyrocketing too.

Talk about ridiculous....

Apparently Savage had been on the phone with Clements in SF all day, when San fran made their "Final" offer, he said :blink: NOOOO Thanks...then apparenlty they went EVEN HIGHER.

Just crazy for a Corner, even if he is "Shutdown".

Bittersweet news for Asante Samuel. He has to be upset about what he is missing out on, but this just drove up his franchise tag.

Well, I'm not sure. I think once those numbers are released then they're set. I don't think a huge FA contract can change that afterwards. Again, I'm not sure.

So the Bengals don't have money to do anything in the free agent market, nut the 49ers are able to sign the Top CB on the market to a huge deal then go out and sign one of the top Safeties on the market to a huge deal...makes logical since to me..

:wacko::blink:

Again, one thing to remember is that, coming into FA, the 9ers were $22 million under the minimum payroll. In other words, by rule they have to spend at least $22 million more on player salaries. You can argue that it was a bad move to spend so much on Clements -- but they had to spend on someone or someones.

this is a dumb dumb move by the niners give a guy that is not that good that kind of money. nate has to be laughing all the way to the bank. the guy has never had more than six picks in a season if he gets this kind of money then how much is kaesviharn worth.

clements 70-tac 3 int's 1.5 sacks.

kaes 63-tac 6int's 4-sacks.

then add that keas is not even a starter . this is the kind of signing that just screws up the whole market because guys are getting way more than there worth. with these amounts that guys are getting you can count the bengals out of free agency period. you know MB will never spend that kind of money on a free agent.

watch a 9ers game next year , keep an eye on him youll see why he got paid.

i have been watching him since Ohio state days i know exactly who is. no way is he worth that much money. kazkal no way could he cover chad 1 on1 chad would smoke him so bad it would not even be funny.