Joey Porter

I mean I hate the guy as much as the next person, but he would bring some attitude to this defense. Plus with all this talk about Randy Moss to Green Bay, this doesn't seem half as bad. Hell I might even buy a Porter jersey if he became a Bengal. You all know you would love him if he became a Bengal.

I agree. Keep your eye on this. If there was any bad blood between the Steelers and him, that might be great to our advantage for some lockerroom motivation. I'd support it. But you guys know me. I don't care who we sign, as long as we win football games! I have low standards, I know. :cry:

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey ya'll. Haven't been around in awhile but always enjoyed the great football talk on your forum from some very knowledgeable fans. thought I'd stop in and get some of your reactions about the Porter rumors and the possibility that he'll become a Bengal.

Contrary to some of your beliefs, Steeler fans are pretty much split on the move to cut Joey Porter. Some (myself included) feel Joey still brings alot to the table and will be very productive. Although the perception is that Joey had a bad year, it should also be noted that he was used in an entirely different manner than in years past. He was asked to do more in pass coverage, therefore reducing opportunities to put pressure on the quarterback. The way offenses are set up, he was our best defense in covering a back out of the backfield or matching up with a tightend. His numbers suffered.

Anyway, this move was more for cap purposes than for his production on the field. As in most years, the Steelers are up against the cap and with our current standing with future free agents (Polomalu, Faneca) and young players who may demand more money for their services, it might have been the smart thing to do. Don't get me wrong, our defense took a huge blow and Joey will be hard to replace.

Imo, if the Bengals decide to make Joey a part of their future, your team becomes instantly better. The offseason is all about getting better and keeping up with the competition. We took a major step backwards. you guys could very well take a big step forward. time will tell.

If a deal gets done and Joey becomes a Bengal, this is the way I see things...

Bengals + Porter > Steelers - Porter

And yes...I'm keeping score. :angry:

I really doubt the bengals end up bringing in porter, all ive heard is how he's lost a step and has always been overrated. that plus the 3-4/4-3 conversion plus 30 years old makes just drafting a LB in the 1st 2 picks more sensible and having an energetic rookie playing lost sometimes instead of a 30-something slow guy playing lost sometimes.

His only redeeming factors might be vocal leadership...if we could get him rather cheap then sure go ahead.

My money is on the bengals bringing in their RFAs and a decent/mediocre safety like the ones mentioned in the bengals.com article. Graham at TE would be a nice luxury, but im not getting my hopes up.

I will admit im not a scout...maybe porter is what we need...all i know is we need something.

Anytime fans of a team are happy to see someone leave, it usually is a clue that he should be avoided. I don't see any reason that this should be an exception.
I'm not saying your wrong but I will say you don't understand the complexities of the situation. We aren't fortunate enough to be 20 million dollars under the cap. Ya see, in general Steeler fans recognize that the move needed to be made. Not because he wasn't a valuable part of our defense but because in the scheme of things, his price tag could jeopardize the overall makeup of the team. We just can't keep everyone.

I don't know that I'd call 30 years "old" by any means, look how long Seau was effective, or Bruschi in NE - the LB's here without Simmons need experience and leadership - and a pass rusher is certainly needed from that position here.

But again no idea how a 3-4 OLB will fit-in here ultimately.

I don't know that I'd call 30 years "old" by any means, look how long Seau was effective, or Bruschi in NE - the LB's here without Simmons need experience and leadership - and a pass rusher is certainly needed from that position here.

But again no idea how a 3-4 OLB will fit-in here ultimately.

He'd probably play the role Pollack was supposed to play. OLB on running downs, DE or on the bench on passing downs.

Porter is the same age as Adalius Thomas, and werent yall screaming for him to come in?

That's the thing though -- Thomas can play in a 4-3. I don't think that lining Porter up as a DE does anything that we don't already have in Jumpy Jr. and Smith. In fact, you'd have to sit one of those two in order to make room for Porter at DE. As OLB in 4-3 he would be in pass coverage and would be taken advantage of IMO. Porter's skill set is inifinitely more limited than Thomas -- whose greater speed and athleticism make him more of an every down player. If we would bring in Porter just to rush the passer situationally, then he'd better come with an appopriately cheaper price tag. What's that -- he wants to get paid -- okay, see you in DC Peezy. Not a good fit.

Porter is the same age as Adalius Thomas, and werent yall screaming for him to come in?

Not me, I dont like paying for the last years of a players career. He is to pricey for what he does! Why do you think he was released, just like Simmons is on the downward slide of a solid run so is Porter. And he is a jacka@#!

As much as I hated him on the Steelers, if he came here i would not be mad. I think that he really would stick it to Pittsburgh.

I think a trade to any team in the division would light a little more fire in him. All I am saying is Id rather have him on our side than against us.

Porter tidbit from Hobson...

True to their word the Bengals spent the first day of NFL free agency kicking merely tires instead of buying. But one of them was a big wheel Friday when they made a cursory call on former Steelers Pro Bowl linebacker Joey Porter.

Jeff Sperbeck, Porter’s agent, confirmed the Bengals’ interest along with several other teams’ and believes it will take “a significant,” deal to get it done, which may knock out a club on record that it’s trying to re-sign its own free agents.

In other words...no.

:sure:

Bengals -- Don't go spending all your money on a guy that can't cover his own bed, and isn't much better against the run.

YEAH BUT HE WOULD PROVIDE THE DAMN PASS RUSH THAT WE LACK. I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I AM SO *** damn SICK OF QUARTERBACKS HAVING ALL DAMN DAY TO THROW THE BALL. QUARTERBACKS HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO PICK THEIR NOSE, TAKE A DUMP, SMOKE A CIGERATTE, AND PLAY WITH HIS BOYS ALL AT ONCE. GOD DAMNIT

Bengals -- Don't go spending all your money on a guy that can't cover his own bed, and isn't much better against the run.

YEAH BUT HE WOULD PROVIDE THE DAMN PASS RUSH THAT WE LACK. I DONT KNOW ABOUT YOU BUT I AM SO *** damn SICK OF QUARTERBACKS HAVING ALL DAMN DAY TO THROW THE BALL. QUARTERBACKS HAVE ENOUGH TIME TO PICK THEIR NOSE, TAKE A DUMP, SMOKE A CIGERATTE, AND PLAY WITH HIS BOYS ALL AT ONCE. GOD DAMNIT

His pass rush ability would be wasted in our scheme. The 3-4 in which Porter sometimes thrived is built specifically for that.

His pass rush ability would be wasted in our scheme. The 3-4 in which Porter sometimes thrived is built specifically for that.

Not to mention the fact that Lebeau's zone blitzing scheme is responsible for how, when, and why Porter gets free paths to the QB. Anybody think we could replicate that here, with a 4-3 base? Yeah, that's what I thought. You can't just dump somebody that is in that specialized a position, that relies that heavily on a scheme that pretty much no other team in the league can successfully duplicate (despite constant attempts), into a completely different defensive philosophy and expect the same results.

Anyone who wants this guy at the cost he will require simply has not watched him week in and week out over the last 2 years. Has he had good games? Of course .. BUT he has been generally MIA. Ask anyone who watches the Steelers games. In fact, I believe he started with the injury thing for awhile last year as well. Bottom line is that he is aging and on the downside. He IS NOT worth what he will get in free agency. Add to that the facts that folks have already shared concerning the differences in schemes, transition to a new team, etc ... and, well, not worth it. No way, no how. Besides, he's a punk. ;-)

Actually, I heard some NFL scouts saying they think he would actually be a better 4-3 LB than 3-4 because he DOES have good coverage skills.

Actually, I heard some NFL scouts saying they think he would actually be a better 4-3 LB than 3-4 because he DOES have good coverage skills.

While I don't half 1/8 the credibility of an NFL scout, such a claim would be contrary to what I've seen from him and what Steelers fans tell me about him. If I'm wrong and he doesn't suck, then I wouldn't be opposed at all to pursuing him (unless his price tag gets ridiculous).

I just don't think I'm wrong (obviously).