Joey Porter

No, No, a thousand times No!

I would hate every second of Porter being on the team. He's an idiot, he's a Steeler, and he's quite possibly the most overrated defender in the NFL. He cna hit the QB really hard and make highlights. Whooptifriggindo. We need a complete LB, not a one-trick pony.

It's funny how many people don't want Porter, but Arrington last year was, like OMG, the best free agent EVER! lol

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate every second of Porter being on the team. He's an idiot, he's a Steeler, and he's quite possibly the most overrated defender in the NFL. He cna hit the QB really hard and make highlights. Whooptifriggindo. We need a complete LB, not a one-trick pony.

It's funny how many people don't want Porter, but Arrington last year was, like OMG, the best free agent EVER! lol

I defy you to find a single post I made that was in favor of Arrington. Nope... I didn't want him either. I'm not a fan of Cato June, but I'd rather have him or just re-sign Landon than bring in Porter.

Plus if they sign him, we could start up the 3-4/4-3 argument again! Good times would be had by all, angels would sing down from heaven, the clouds would part, and God himself would state his case:

"Well, if you moved Geathers to OLB, drafted an ILB, Sam Adams stayed healthy ... you know, this just might work, you guys!"

The only question is, who would be the first person to flame God and call him an idiot?

I dont like him because he is a steeler, but at tthe same time he would provide the pass rush that we lack. I cant stand having the quarterback have 30 seconds of free time to throw the ball and kill our db's

Ditto, once again regardless of what team he was on before now, hes a good pass rsher and thats what we need.

Also to anyone that siad he spoke bad about cinci, what do you expect? he was on our rival team its his job to pump up his team by talking trash, hes no longer a steeler, so i dont see what he said while he was with them has to do with him now.

I defy you to find a single post I made that was in favor of Arrington. Nope... I didn't want him either. I'm not a fan of Cato June, but I'd rather have him or just re-sign Landon than bring in Porter.

Goodness, it's like my wife is in the thread. "WHAT'D YOU SAY ABOUT ME!?"

Calm down, I wasn't talking to you.

Goodness, it's like my wife is in the thread. "WHAT'D YOU SAY ABOUT ME!?"

Calm down, I wasn't talking to you.

You weren't talking to me? Oh... my bad. I guess it was the fact that you quoted my post that threw me off.

Oh, gimme time, I'll think of something...Tab Perry to safety? :lmao:

That's funny. I've seen you give me credit for that line of thinking before. It's just not true. If I ever said it, it was the same way you say it. Facetiously. Anyway... if the fact that I don't want Porter will make you happy to get him, then consider youself on the Porter train.

That's funny. I've seen you give me credit for that line of thinking before. It's just not true. If I ever said it, it was the same way you say it. Facetiously. Anyway... if the fact that I don't want Porter will make you happy to get him, then consider youself on the Porter train.

No, you dimbulb, I was the one arguing for perry to safety. Jeez it was a joke... :huh:

No, you dimbulb, I was the one arguing for perry to safety. Jeez it was a joke... :huh:

I also was joking... I just don't use little smiley faces. But now that I've been called a dimbulb, I'll be forced to. :angry:

I also was joking... I just don't use little smiley faces. But now that I've been called a dimbulb, I'll be forced to. :angry:

OK, fine. From now on I will limit myself to the term "energy-saving low-wattage fluorescent light." :P

I would love to see Porter in Bengal stripes next year. The pass rush would be nice since we dont have one, but the reason I would love to see it is the attitude he brings to the game. Our D seems to grab their ankles and take it every Sunday and it really doesnt look like they mind. Give me a veteran leader, a guy with some fire, passion and intensity and I'll take him no matter who he played for. The fact that he is "Mr. Steeler" makes it even better to me, I would love to see him sack Big Ben then do his sack dance in PBS. We need an identity on defense and I think this would be a great start. Sign him today!!

I would love to see Porter in Bengal stripes next year. The pass rush would be nice since we dont have one, but the reason I would love to see it is the attitude he brings to the game. Our D seems to grab their ankles and take it every Sunday and it really doesnt look like they mind. Give me a veteran leader, a guy with some fire, passion and intensity and I'll take him no matter who he played for. The fact that he is "Mr. Steeler" makes it even better to me, I would love to see him sack Big Ben then do his sack dance in PBS. We need an identity on defense and I think this would be a great start. Sign him today!!

Whatever. Porter mailed it in just like everyone else on the Steelers last year. They didn't have Bettis to look to as a team leader, and they collapsed. Porter was no exception... and the rest of the team certainly didn't look to him to pull them back out.

Porter actually does a terrible job of showing up for big games. If he was such a leader and a necessity, why would the Steelers cut him when he was expecting a raise? Because the only person who thinks Porter is a stud is Porter (and apparently a couple Bengal fans).

Do you remember when he was mouthing off before the Bengals game, and finished with 1 tackle? At least he was consistent, because he had only 1 tackle the previous week against Jacksonville, and had 4 other games throughout the season where he logged no more than 2 tackles. (If you're counting, that is 8 tackles in 6 games). He padded his stats with a really big game against Baltimore, and a couple games against the Browns, but he basically absent for 6 of the 14 games he played last year.

Porter was not the leader of that defense. He was just the loudest guy (kind of like Chad... not a leader, just a mouth). We have enough talkers. Vote no on proposition Joey Porter.

It's hard to argue with his sack #'s and pass rushing abilities.

Not sure how that would translate here in a 4-3 though. He may be more a product of Pitt's system, and people could end up hating him here if he falls flat, if somehow the Bengals sign him.

You know... If you just go through some of the past comments of Steelers fans on this board you'd see that the vast majority recognized that he was overrated. Most of them like Haggans and Farrior a lot more.

I guess it once again shows the overrated value of the sack. Porter gets between 7 and 10 sacks every year, and because he's a loud mouth the media gives him a ton of attention. Meanwhile, actual fans of the team he plays for don't really think he's all that special.

I'd be willing to bet that if it weren't for the Steelers confusing blitzes that Porter would be an unknown. Anytime fans of a team are happy to see someone leave, it usually is a clue that he should be avoided. I don't see any reason that this should be an exception.

He's a poor man's Shawne Merriman (whom I think is the most overrated player in the league). He is a solid pass rusher from his OLB spot in the 3-4, but that wouldn't work in Cincinnati. He struggles mightily in pass coverage, and is rarely much of a force against the run.

James Farrior has been far and away their best linebacker for a while now.

POSTED 9:55 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007

PORTER, AGENT STUNNED BY RELEASE

Though there had been talk that the Steelers might cut linebacker Joey Porter, word is that Porter and his agent were shocked by the move.

Apparently, Porter had been angling for a raise, and had fully expected to get one.

In our view, this means that Porter will be even more pissed off at the Steelers -- and more likely to try to land within the AFC North.

Meanwhile, word is that the Bengals have been doing some research on Porter with an eye toward trying to sign him.

POSTED 9:39 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007

STEINBACH TO BROWNS

A league source tells us that the Browns are expected to sign offensive lineman Eric Steinbach to a deal averaging $7 million per year.

Steinbach, who most recently played for the Bengals, will essentially make Steve Hutchinson money.

The four-year veteran was one of the members of the Cincy team who got busted last year. He was charged for boating while drunk.

Technically, teams can't even speak to free agents until 12:01 a.m. EST Friday. But anyone who follows the league knows that no one follows this rule.

POSTED 9:06 p.m. EST, March 1, 2007

BENGALS, CARDINALS EARLY PORTER FAVORITES

The early buzz in league circles regarding linebacker Joey Porter is that he'll initially explore opportunities in Cincinnati and Arizona.

In Arizona, Porter would rejoin former Steelers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and former Steelers offensive line coach Russ Grimm.

In Cincinnati, Porter would have a chance to stick it to the Steelers twice per year.

Should be interesting.