Joey Porter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised the Niners didn't land him. He'd be the perfect fit for their new 3-4 scheme. He could even have taught Manny Lawson how to make people think you're better than you really are by talking non stop and kicking the ground after you make a simple tackle.

The lack of signings doesn't bug me so much as does the fact the Bengals brought in Porter -- a player who does not fit very well with their defense. I'm less concerned about the front office cap management and wondering much more about how the Bengals are approaching putting their defense together this year. They've basically franchised 2 DEs who are primarily best suited for the same position and they've let their LB situation go farther up in the air than it already was by cutting B-Simms and low tendering LJohnson at the risk of also losing him. Blow a big chunk on the wrong defensive fit on the field this year and it could be a deathblow to their defense.

The lack of signings doesn't bug me so much as does the fact the Bengals brought in Porter -- a player who does not fit very well with their defense.

Well, they never actually brought Porter in; all I saw in terms of actual contact was the confirmation of a phone call to his agent to add their name to the tour list. I doubt they were seriously interested, just "kicking some more tires," to use Hobson's phrase.

As for what they'll do on D, the same thing as always. Draft and bargain-basement FAs. Only this year the bargain bin will be even emptier than usual thanks to the huge amount of money in the marketplace.