Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

I didnt claim Geathers hadn't been developed, only that the key to his development was that the Bengals stopped screwing him up.

((Shrug))

Sometimes you don't find out what a player can't do until you ask him to try. In this example Geathers added weight without gaining power, and he lost stamina to boot. Experiments sometimes fail. But the same coaching staff that tried to improve the interior pass rush by kicking Geathers inside admitted it's mistake and put him in a position to provide plenty of impact the following season. And again, the Geathers that we watched last season looked nothing like the strictly situational pass rusher the Bengals drafted....so maybe the key to his development was coaching him to be a very respectable run defender that can now play more than the occasional 3rd down.

Bottom Line: The idea that the most important thing Lewis has done in developing Geathers is to stop screwing him up is pretty outlandish, and borders on Steakhouse style negativity.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bottom Line: The idea that the most important thing Lewis has done in developing Geathers is to stop screwing him up is pretty outlandish

How so? I quote none other than HairOnFire in my defense:

In this example Geathers added weight without gaining power, and he lost stamina to boot. Experiments sometimes fail. But the same coaching staff that tried to improve the interior pass rush by kicking Geathers inside admitted it's mistake and put him in a position to provide plenty of impact the following season.

In other words, the most important thing they did was to stop screwing him up. Can't argue with Hair, he's always right. He said so. B)

In other words, the most important thing they did was to stop screwing him up. Can't argue with Hair, he's always right. He said so. B)

Damn, how could I have forgotten that you always lose you mind when free agency starts? How could I forget for even a moment that you'll be impossible to converse with for about a month or two?

Whatever, let the permanent record show that Hoosier thinks Marvin Lewis has never developed a player and the best thing he's ever done was when he stopped screwing up Robert Geathers.

Sheesh, it's almost like somebody cloned Shula Steakhouse.

let the permanent record show that Hoosier thinks Marvin Lewis has never developed a player and the best thing he's ever done was when he stopped screwing up Robert Geathers.

Let the permanant record show that Hoosier actually said that:

I don't see where the Bengals have shown any special ability to coach up young players.

and

Like most staffs, Marvin & Co. have had some successes and some failures, and a lot of in-between.

Nor did I ever say that stopping scerwing with Geathers was (and I quote) "best thing he's [Marvins] ever done." Though it was among his better decisions.