Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

I mean, he was at the Senior Bowl and the Bengals didn't even interview/show interest in him.

Bengals dident interveiw joseph...You don't wanna express a large intrest in a guy like that because team could try leap frog you.

JJ wasn't a Senior though.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't I Pimp someone I like? He has a great chance to be a Bengal

What Kaz Said

Sure you can.

But what happens is (and I see this happen all the time) if your player you pimped isnt the one the Bengals select, guys get bitter and angry at the Bengals because they didn't get the guy that THEY wanted them to get.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't catch feelings if they don't get your guy.

I know Kazkal is still a little bitter about Ko from last year.

You gotta let it go......

Players that would be apart of my dream drafts.

1.)Chris Houston

2.)Black Or Bishop or just top rated 2nd rnd backer.

3.)-AHmad Brooks

4.)Paul Soliai

5.)Kevin payne

6.)OG depth or ST / punt returner

7.)see above

1.)Willis or Timmons

2.)Fred Bennett or Marcus McCauley

3.)Same

4.)Same

5.)Same

6.)same

7.)

I know Kazkal is still a little bitter about Ko from last year.

Only because we took Frostee with the pick. if it was a player I was pimping period I woulden't care.

I pimped Ngata,Antonio Cromartie and Pope ...but once I read up on Joseph I loved the pick.

Same with whitworth

PS,It would be 1 thing if Frostee got in trouble after he came here it's just fact we passed ko for a known character problem with charges standing agaist him.

Interesting bit of speculation by Curnutte on his blog that, given how Katie likes to manage the cap, the team has probably already accounted for all of Simmon's signing bonus from '02. (And IIRC they were still supposedly a couple million under the cap at the end of '06...) Which means cutting Brian gains us more like $3.4m in additional space.

He still doesn't think they'll do anything but resign the likes of K2 or Reggie K. with it tho.

Interesting bit of speculation by Curnutte on his blog that, given how Katie likes to manage the cap, the team has probably already accounted for all of Simmon's signing bonus from '02. (And IIRC they were still supposedly a couple million under the cap at the end of '06...) Which means cutting Brian gains us more like $3.4m in additional space.

He still doesn't think they'll do anything but resign the likes of K2 or Reggie K. with it tho.

They are roughly $8.4k under the cap, at this very moment, from what I understand.

There's really no excuse for not pursuing an upper tier FA or two considering the circumstances, and whom they released, along with all of the ? marks lingering from their last two day one drafts.

I tend to think Curnutte isn't being totally realistic.

They are roughly $8.4k under the cap, at this very moment, from what I understand.

There's really no excuse for not pursuing an upper tier FA or two considering the circumstances, and whom they released, along with all of the ? marks lingering from their last two day one drafts.

I tend to think Curnutte isn't being totally realistic.

Well, clearly you haven't read Hobson's latest on the site. After Hobsonizing the numbers by cutting out the rookie pool they will need in, oh, June, they have only $3 million in space. (And of course we need a couple million reserved for injuries during the season, so really...we're hard up against it, right?) Maybe my thoughts that cutting Simmons represented a break were just wishful thinking... :wacko:

You have to keep in mind that Hobson goes into free agency likes it's a dental appointment.

Well, so do most longtime Bengals fans... <_<

B)

I don't disagree with Hobson's prognostications... Roughly 8 million over right now... We'll need a couple million to finish our own resignings, a few more for the rookies, and a few more to keep during the regular season. I don't think there's any room for even a mid range FA in this market.

The only legit possibility I see is letting Reggie Kelly go and chasing Daniel Graham. Doubt it though.

I don't disagree with Hobson's prognostications... Roughly 8 million over right now... We'll need a couple million to finish our own resignings, a few more for the rookies, and a few more to keep during the regular season. I don't think there's any room for even a mid range FA in this market.

Ah. I see.

Time to "go to war with what we have."

Again.

Sigh.

Ah. I see.

Time to "go to war with what we have."

Again.

Sigh.

Yup. "What we have" including improving young players, a brand new draft class, the same all-pro offense as usual, and the financial security to keep it intact for the long haul.

Yup. "What we have" including improving young players,

Well, let's take this one at a time, shall we? OK, improving young players. On offense, that would be...uh...I dunno, maybe Chris Henry? If you count not getting busted recently as an improvement. On defense, there's Joseph, Peko, Geathers and...uh...well, lots of wishes, hopes and prayers, right?

a brand new draft class,

Which counts for jack divided by sh*t at this point. Maybe it's 2003, maybe it's 2005, maybe its even better...or worse.

the same all-pro offense as usual,

Nope, there you are dead wrong. Even assuming Kelly and Stewart and Watson re-up, Steinbach is gone. That's a loss. And who knows about Chris Perry. Yet speak of a TE or RB in the draft and thou art damned. Steiny leaves (and Kwash, everyone forgets about him) and this is the second year the O bleeds (Schobel last time). Small cuts, maybe, but you can be pecked to death by ducks.

and the financial security to keep it intact for the long haul.

8-8 forever?

Well, let's take this one at a time, shall we? OK, improving young players. On offense, that would be...uh...I dunno, maybe Chris Henry? If you count not getting busted recently as an improvement. On defense, there's Joseph, Peko, Geathers and...uh...well, lots of wishes, hopes and prayers, right?

Along with the four players you mentioned, other similar players like Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad Brooks, Madieu Williams, Tab Perry, Andrew Whitworth, and Eric Ghiaciuc could (and in my opinion should) be listed under the "young and improving" category.

Then there are the "hopes and prayers" to boot, like Ethan Kilmer, Frostee Rucker, Eric Henderson, Johnathan Fanene, Benny Brazell, or Odell Thurman and David Pollack.

Which counts for jack divided by sh*t at this point. Maybe it's 2003, maybe it's 2005, maybe its even better...or worse.

That isn't arguable, but the point is that "go to war with what we have" teams place heavy emphasis on draft picks for their plans for the future. That strategy hasn't gone awry in the Bengals' case yet, aside arguably from the first day of '05.

Nope, there you are dead wrong. Even assuming Kelly and Stewart and Watson re-up, Steinbach is gone. That's a loss. And who knows about Chris Perry. Yet speak of a TE or RB in the draft and thou art damned. Steiny leaves (and Kwash, everyone forgets about him) and this is the second year the O bleeds (Schobel last time). Small cuts, maybe, but you can be pecked to death by ducks.

Even if Steinbach walks, Chris Perry doesn't return for any of 2007, and Reggie Kelly isn't resigned (and I'd only count on one of those holding true), I don't think it'd be outlandish to expect the Bengals to have a successful offensive season.

8-8 forever?

Well that brings us back to a billion other questions. I don't think the Bengals finished 8-8 in 2006 because of mediocre talent or free agency strategy. Injuries, suspensions, and youth are where I place my blame. If you differ in your views, fine. Differ as you please.

If the Bengals finish 8-8 in 2007, I'll be as wrong as could be (barring circumstances that make such a finish inevitable).

Along with the four players you mentioned, other similar players like Rashad Jeanty, Ahmad Brooks, Madieu Williams, Tab Perry, Andrew Whitworth, and Eric Ghiaciuc could (and in my opinion should) be listed under the "young and improving" category.

Young? Yes. Improving? I dunno. I like Rashad but he seems to fall in the "is what he is" category. Brooks can't stay on the field, supposedly because he can't play STs or something, ask Bresh. Williams went backwards this past season. Tab had a couple good games then got hurt, I like him but who knows if he comes back the same? Whitworth? Great we have a replacement for Steiny, let's hope there are no more o-line injuries. Bluto? Not sold on him yet.

Then there are the "hopes and prayers" to boot, like Ethan Kilmer, Frostee Rucker, Eric Henderson, Johnathan Fanene, Benny Brazell, or Odell Thurman and David Pollack.

Ah, wishes, hopes and prayers. That and a handful of pixie dust will get you to Neverland tonight. Say hi to Peter for me. :P

the point is that "go to war with what we have" teams place heavy emphasis on draft picks for their plans for the future. That strategy hasn't gone awry in the Bengals' case yet, aside arguably from the first day of '05.

I could add a few more "asides" there but that's only proving my point:

Even if Steinbach walks, Chris Perry doesn't return for any of 2007, and Reggie Kelly isn't resigned (and I'd only count on one of those holding true), I don't think it'd be outlandish to expect the Bengals to have a successful offensive season.

Tick...tick...tick...that's Father Time talking. Chad gets older, Housh gets older, Levi gets older, Willie is already old. We are wasting this great offense. Now is not the time to play it close on D and wait for the draft...by the time magic happens it will be too late. The Pollack/Thurman mess has contributed heavily to that -- it's precisely because of that we have to roll some dice.

I don't think the Bengals finished 8-8 in 2006 because of mediocre talent or free agency strategy. Injuries, suspensions, and youth are where I place my blame. If you differ in your views, fine.

It isn't a matter of differing, it's a matter of solutions. The Bengals are fiddling while Rome burns. The have a playoff-caliber offense now. The D has a few good players. But waiting for rooks to get up to speed will take seasons, sesons in which Chad and Housh and Willie go poof. Now is the time to take a shot.

It isn't a matter of differing, it's a matter of solutions. The Bengals are fiddling while Rome burns. The have a playoff-caliber offense now. The D has a few good players. But waiting for rooks to get up to speed will take seasons, sesons in which Chad and Housh and Willie go poof. Now is the time to take a shot.

I just think it goes both ways. The Bengals can stick to their guns and try to improve on their own while maintaining their best talent as long as the cap allows, or they take that big risk now. The player(s) they bring in can prove beneficial, or they can flop. Either way, they come at the expense of talent already on the team, due to cap restrictions down the road.

The only real question behind this debate, IMO, is "how good a football team are the Cincinnati Bengals?" If they're a steaming pile of mediocrity or worse, then take a chance to push them foward. If they're a good team with a chance to be better than a good team, then leave them be.

On that central point, nobody will ever agree.

Why the hell dont we get rid of THornton. He is garbage and would save $4 million

Because the only players we have behind him are Domata Peko and Shaun Smith.

Have Brob replace him then Geathers can start.

I think B-rob is a noteable downgrade from Thornton... and I think Geathers will start either way.

If any other Bengals get cut soon, my money's on B-rob.