Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

Our best linebacker now is Rashad Jeanty and Landon Johnson? Well then.

I'd say this move makes it all the more likely (and in my mind certain) that Odell will be returning to the team. Ahmad Brooks will also have a season under his belt, and he'll contribute a great deal I expect. I don't like losing Simmons from a depth standpoint, but neither do I think the starting group is much affected. We'll draft a LB on the first day too.

Odell returning to the Bengals isn't up to Marvin. It's up to Odell's crack dealer and the NFL. Remember, if he blows another test, he's probably gone for LIFE. One more test. I'd rather roll with Miller/Jeanty/Brooks/Johnson/Draft than deal with that s**t again.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sad sad news. im one of the simmons fans. tough seeing a guy suffer through our tough years then get cut right before we win it all.

id like to see him take donnie edwards place in san diego next to his old buddy foley. probably get his ring if he goes there.

I'm against this move. Our linebackers went from suck, to really really sucking. All for the sake of saving money? That's a lame and lazy excuse.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it might be that the very reason Simmon's was cut is to spend money.

I understand that. But on who? Who is out there that's available, while realistically considering A. Thomas won't be with this team, that could contribute? (if Thomas signs here, I'd be shocked... and happy)

And I don't believe drafting a linebacker is the cure all. 2005 draft taught us that.

My only point is, since 2003, what player has this team signed (not drafted) that's contributed like Simmons has on defense? As of now, this defense just degraded.

So, like many of you will suggest, I'll sit and wait. I'm just not confident this team will find or sign or draft anyone that will replace Simmons in the near-term.

This is a sad day for me. I was shocked when I read the news on bengals.com. I thought Simmons played well when he was on the field. If Simmons wasn't hurt last year would they still have cut him? Oh well, I wish Simmons the best.

At the same time, our has defense has stunk for years and we need to shake it up, so I'm getting used to the idea. Let's see what happens in the draft and free agency.

I'm against this move. Our linebackers went from suck, to really really sucking. All for the sake of saving money? That's a lame and lazy excuse.

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it might be that the very reason Simmon's was cut is to spend money.

As long as we spend it on a TE, a bubble, or a powerless GM, I'm cool with the move... B)

This was a great move. B Simmons is old and would likely have spent over half the season on the IR. Jeanty is a solid backer and still young, and a line up of jeanty, odell, and brooks could be quite a combo of power and speed for years to come, but it might be take this year to get them to mesh. B simmons no longer has the physical skills of any of those players. I was never a fan. The guy solid but was just never intense enough to lead the d or provide that lift.

Welcome back Odell.

Ehhhh...I dunno. Don't think the Simmons move says anything about Odell. If Odell comes back, he'll be in the middle; Simmons was playing the weak side until Odell's blowout forced them to move him inside.

Really, I dont think we now have anyone on the roster suited well to the WLB slot. Jeanty and Frazier (and Pollack) are strong side guys, Brooks and Nicholson (and Odell) are MLBs. Our three WLB's last year, after Simmons moved over, were Landon, Caleb and Wilkins; Wilkins is history and Landon and Caleb are RFAs. (And Caleb strikes me as better in the middle; Wilkins was a special teamer and backup but no threat to become a starter.)

So that leaves us with Landon, who's been servicable and versatile but not a difference-maker. And who is probably going to take something in the $4m/year range to sign long-term -- which is arguably not worth it.

I dunno. What strikes me most about this move is how un-Bengal-ish it is. For those looking for a break from the same-old-same-old FA story, this is a bit of an eye-opener. Consider:

-- Earlier reports from Lance McAlister's blog said the Bengals want Landon back, tried for a deal, couldn't get one, and were going to then tender him and let other teams do their negotiating. OK, that's not unusual. But in cutting Simmons they just let their best alternative to Landon walk. In short, the Bengals just strengthened Landon's hand.

-- The Bengals don't do stuff like this. Typically they approach FA like the NFL version of a sloth. While other teams cut players and free up space for FA, the Bengals usually hold on to dead wood that has no chance to making the roster and wail about how poor they are. This cut smacks of a team that's actually planning to make some FA moves.

-- They cut a career Bengal, who had never said anything but nice things about the team, coaches and management, with two years left on his contract. That's almost unprecedented in Bengal-land. The FO is notoriously loyal. Keep your head down and mouth shut and we will pay you. And their whole approach to FA contracts has always been based on the "our contracts are real money you just have to play out the whole term to earn it" argument.

No, exactly what this move portends, I dunno. Maybe a lot, maybe nothing. But they have my attention.

It was the right move, but unfortunatly he had to go. He had a good run in stripes. He played his ass off for us, always giving 110%. He was, for years the one bright spot when things were going bad with this team.

I wish him nothing but good luck in whatever he does.

[

So that leaves us with Landon, who's been servicable and versatile but not a difference-maker. And who is probably going to take something in the $4m/year range to sign long-term -- which is arguably not worth it.

I dunno. What strikes me most about this move is how un-Bengal-ish it is. For those looking for a break from the same-old-same-old FA story, this is a bit of an eye-opener. Consider:

-- Earlier reports from Lance McAlister's blog said the Bengals want Landon back, tried for a deal, couldn't get one, and were going to then tender him and let other teams do their negotiating. OK, that's not unusual. But in cutting Simmons they just let their best alternative to Landon walk. In short, the Bengals just strengthened Landon's hand.

-- -- They cut a career Bengal, who had never said anything but nice things about the team, coaches and management, with two years left on his contract. That's almost unprecedented in Bengal-land. The FO is notoriously loyal. Keep your head down and mouth shut and we will pay you. And their whole approach to FA contracts has always been based on the "our contracts are real money you just have to play out the whole term to earn it" argument.

Landon Johnson is not about to make 4 million a year, the Bengals will let him test the market before they pay him that much. I guarantee that Marvin is looking for an alternate to come along for Landon, he's never going to develop into any kind of difference maker and if the casual fan sees that Marvin definately sees that. Sounds like the Bengals were not willing to overpay that bum to me. This is a business first and foremost we are not in the loyalty business we are in the production business and Brian Simmons was never going to take us to the promise land with his run support ability. I'm glad alot of people are sticking up for him because I was going to cry foul if people spoke up for Justin and not him. I'm looking for a linebacker that plays with some kind of passion that can put a hit on someone. I never have seen Brian Simmons make a hit on someone where I say damn. That puts the fear in those wide receivers coming over the middle, you think those wideouts don't think twice about coming across the middle against the Ravens and Bears? That equals more drops when they fear coming across that middle. What this says to me is mediocre is not going to get it here anymore on defense, step your game up.

Landon Johnson is not about to make 4 million a year,

He probably will this year. I've gone through this in other threads. Look at the other deals getting done for LBs with comparable numbers. Best case would be something between $3m and $4m, which is still pricey for a guy who's only been a starter due to injuries and suspensions. But I'm betting $4m.

I was surprised with the Landon only getting tendered.

I thought Marvin was in love with him. He's stellar but as mentioned several times he's nothing special. Just consistently average and it looks like Marvin realizes he's not what our team needs at ths point.

I think we'll draft a guy to play WLB, put Ahmad or Odell in the middle then Ahmad or Jeanty at SLB. To have Ahmad and Odell in the LB core would be a massive improvement alone but I'm not so sure Odell can be counted on at this point.

I'm liking this, seems like the front office is showing some backbone and doing whatever they feel it takes to get to the SB level.

I think Landon would be great for a defense like the Bears where he could be a role player but on our D he's just not what we need at this point (from a starter).

I certainly hope this just isn't a move to re-sign Miller, LJ and Sean Smith.

But regardless it keeps space for $ not targeted for RFA's and let's them pursue at least one top FA hopefully.

Straight off Bengals.com... Doesn't mean it will be the case but still:

Lewis indicated Wednesday in the news release that the Bengals may be more active in free agency than previously thought.

I was surprised with the Landon only getting tendered.

I thought Marvin was in love with him. He's stellar but as mentioned several times he's nothing special. Just consistently average and it looks like Marvin realizes he's not what our team needs at ths point.

I think we'll draft a guy to play WLB, put Ahmad or Odell in the middle then Ahmad or Jeanty at SLB. To have Ahmad and Odell in the LB core would be a massive improvement alone but I'm not so sure Odell can be counted on at this point.

I'm liking this, seems like the front office is showing some backbone and doing whatever they feel it takes to get to the SB level.

I think Landon would be great for a defense like the Bears where he could be a role player but on our D he's just not what we need at this point (from a starter).

[/quote}

Stellar means outstanding, so you can't say he's stellar but nothing special. Who I'm looking at that nobody has mentioned is Ken Hamlin, I will take him in a heart beat and move Madieu to Cornerback if we plan on getting two linebackers in the first two rounds. Ken Hamlin is only 26 years old and is a little bigger then Madeiu, the Bengals would look at him before they look at paying Adalius Thomas all that money.

Well I think with the release of Brian Simmons the writing is on the wall and it means we are going to be active right out of the gate. Here's a small sample of what I think is to come:

FA-we will bring in a LB to provide depth and experience to a young unit, but we will not overpay. The guy I see in stripes next year is Orlando Huff(Arizona) 6'3 235 28 yrs old.

rd 1 draft-Darrell Revis or Chris Houston(CB's) we have to upgrade the secondary

rd 2 draft-Rufus Alexander(OLB) or Quinn Pitcock(DL) we need to add depth at those positions

rest of Draft-BPA, but take a QB in either 6th or 7th round to groom as a backup.

Strange days indeed. Smells like Cato June. :wacko:

Never did see what Scott Shanle got on his re-up but after the deals EJ Henderson and Darryl Smith got, hard to believe Landon isn't gone.

Caleb struggled bad as a WSLB, which basically would leave the Bengals without 1 unless they go after 1 in FA and draft another.

Tully Banta-Cain, come on down!

(Please no. He was benched in New England.)

I'm really hoping they take Patrick Willis now ... if he's available that is. If he's gone, they'll likely trade down and pick up a LB (Posluszny) or CB (Houston/Revis). I still say they could get the same talent level of cornerback in the second that they could in the first ... it's just not that good of a class.

Tully Banta-Cain, come on down!

(Please no. He was benched in New England.)

I'm really hoping they take Patrick Willis now ... if he's available that is. If he's gone, they'll likely trade down and pick up a LB (Posluszny) or CB (Houston/Revis). I still say they could get the same talent level of cornerback in the second that they could in the first ... it's just not that good of a class.

Please don't mention Posluszny unless you are talking about the second round, that guy is stiff as hell. No way do we trade down unless somebody is giving us a third round pick.