Bengals Cut Brian Simmons

ShulaSteakhouse

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think this is a move made to get a FA or necessarily even portends a LB in the draft.

I think that the plan all along was to put all of these guys in place, including Pollack, Odell, Brooks, Nicholson, Berryman, Rucker and Peko, to infuse youth into the defense in those players first couple of years.

Pollack's broken neck did not help this plan but it may still work

I don't think this is a move made to get a FA or necessarily even portends a LB in the draft.

I think that the plan all along was to put all of these guys in place, including Pollack, Odell, Brooks, Nicholson, Berryman, Rucker and Peko, to infuse youth into the defense in those players first couple of years.

Pollack's broken neck did not help this plan but it may still work

Yeah gotta say I think they will have to address the position in the draft because currently they don't have a starting WLB. The only FA I thought they might look at was London Fletcher, but by cutting Simmons that tells me they want to go younger. I say they take either Poz or Timmons in the first round after hearing this news.

Last spring, if you would have told me that the best LB we have in 2007 is a guy I hadn't even heard of at that point, I'd have punched you.

Hell, I'd have punched me...the train wreck at LB has been unbelieveable. That said, I can't really knock the Bengals for letting Simmons go. I've been saying for weeks they need to sh*t or get off the pot about WSL; either install Landon or move on. With Brian gone, you'd have to think Landon would get pencilled in on the weak side...but then they only gave him the base tender. Didn't even pony up an extra $500k to raise his price to a second round pick. Maybe they've decided that neither one is the answer.

This move was made to make room for a FA most certainly.

I wonder if the "very interested" in Graham issue is actually something they are looking to get done - or if they have another FA LB in mind.

Because right now the LB corps is looking pretty darn shaky and unstable.

They are not cutting Brian Simmons to get an offense player that makes no sense when everybody around the league knows that defense is our weakness. They are not going to go after Adalius Thomas he want's a 17million dollar signing bonus the Bengals are not about to give him anything in that area, a guy who has only made one pro bowl. This clears room for the draft and to resign our own players.

How do you know Thomas wants a $17 million signing bonus? Proof?

Prisco says that's the word...

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10026630

Thanks HoosierCat for responding back for me, also I live in the Washington D.C., Baltimore area the guy who cover the Ravens for the Baltimore Sun (Mike Preston) is reporting the same thing that Adalius wants to cash in on his signing bonus because it's guaranteed and that he knows this is likely his last contract. In other words don't expect to see Adalius Thomas in a Bengals uniform, there not dishing out those Dan Snyder signing bonuses.

Did not think that BSims would get the axe, not the way the LB position is looking...A LB is coming either FA or draft that's for sure...For 17-18 million in signing bonus there will be no AThomas for the Bengals, I would like DGraham, but we need help on D...

Adalius Thomas is all but a 49er to re-unite with Mike Nolan so don't get carried away with that one.

I'm sad to see Simmons go and I'm actually surprised. Not that I thought he was a great player (still) or I figured him in long term but Marvin has shown loyalty to guys like Thornton and James despite them sucking (granted he did bring them in via FA). He's also such a leader and high character guy, Marvin has said he'd rather keep a vet then move on to the supposed next best thing. The TKO/Simmons picks were what first got me into the NFL draft and really got me into the Bengals so this is pretty bittersweet. I remember how underrated he was on our bad teams, he was a bright spot for a few years on an otherwise depressing team.

My money is on him going back to Minnesota to re-unite with Frazier. Maybe even to the freakin' Steelers if they go 4-3.

We WILL NOT sign Daniel Graham, don't worry about that and you all are seriously underrating Ahmad Brooks.

I know that this is highly unlikely, given the Bengals history, but what if they are trying to get money to move up in the draft so they can pay the draft pick...maybe in the top 10 :o ...

((Shrug))

Sorta seems like it should be bigger news due to how long Simmons has been a Bengal, but he's never been a top player. Just a good one.

Too much is being made of Simmons being the quiet classy leader of the Bengals defense. Frankly, it's been a poor unit for as long as anyone can remember and under that scenario there should be no sacred cows. This defense is desperately searching for an identity and a little bit of swagger and Simmons has never come close to providing either of those things in nine seasons.

I don't think the move can be called good or bad at this point since it begs more questions than it answers. But it was a given that there would be major changes made on the defensive side of the ball and this is a not so subtle sign that the status quo will no longer be tolerated.

Months ago I wrote that Simmons and John Thornton were bubble players at risk of being cut. Few defended Thornton in response, but I remember being called an azzhole for suggesting Simmons wasn't worth his paycheck. Sadly, I don't recall who insulted me...probably because it's happened alot lately. :lol:

I'm against this move. Our linebackers went from suck, to really really sucking. All for the sake of saving money? That's a lame and lazy excuse.

Our best linebacker now is Rashad Jeanty and Landon Johnson? Well then.

The question is whether or not this team will be better. Who knows. Right? We'll just trust the team's ability to pick up quality defensive players, right? We've done that soooo well.

It's amazing to me that this whole time we BS ourselves about class and selfishness on this team, then we cut Brian Simmons.

Like I said, I'm against this move. I don't trust the team's ability to pick up anyone worth a damn on defense and there's no reason to believe that the money "saved" will be put to good use.

Ultimately, while stepping off my soap box, Hair is right. Who knows in terms of implications?

Our best linebacker now is Rashad Jeanty and Landon Johnson? Well then.

I'd say this move makes it all the more likely (and in my mind certain) that Odell will be returning to the team. Ahmad Brooks will also have a season under his belt, and he'll contribute a great deal I expect. I don't like losing Simmons from a depth standpoint, but neither do I think the starting group is much affected. We'll draft a LB on the first day too.