DDN: Marvin Sweet on Small School LB

HoosierCat

found this today from the other guy at the ddn, Carlos Holmes, aka "Big C"...

Bengals looking for talent in unlikely places

There is no secret that the Cincinnati Bengals will be looking to snag another linebacker in this year's draft, and don't be surprised if they look to a small-school to get a big-time player. Hampton LB Justin Durant is believed to be showing up on the Bengals radar screen like a heat-seeking missile, and word has it that he's a Marvin Lewis favorite.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound linebacker finished the 2006 season with 98 tackles, including 65 solo stops and was named the SBN Sports Mel Blount Defensive Player of the Year for the second consecutive year. There are those who believe that Durant could be this year's Danieal Manning, who was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second-round in '06, out of tiny Abilene Christian.

I'm not surprised by the Bengals interest of a small-school talent like Durant. During last year's draft, member of the Bengals defensive coaching staff were enamored with Indianapolis Colts DB Antoine Bethea from Howard University. However, the team failed to pull the trigger and draft the hard-hitting strong safety. Bethea was selected in the sixth-round by the Super Bowl champion Colts and started 14 games as a rookie and finished third on the team in tackles with 90. The Bengals used their sixth-round pick on project/troubled QB Reggie McNeal.

Let's see if the Bengals can find themselves a small-school gem this season.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...7bigconweb.html

The Hampton kids were impressive for a bunch of unknowns, all 5 of them (As NFLN kept reminding everyone of).

Durant surely impressed more than just Marvin, as I scratch my head over the McNeal pick, when they could've had Bethea, and possibly McNeal in the 7th. They knew McNeal was a project.

Wasn't Khalid Abdulah also a Marvin favorite?

Abdulah was actually a Special Teams deamon and was on his way to getting some playing time until he destroyed his ankle and never regained his speed. Unfortunately speed was his best attribute and hence he fell off the face of the earth.

• 1 month later...
Hard not to like Durant. He backed up at the combine what he showed in the Shrine Game -- that he belongs with the big people. From what I noticed he crashes like he means it and gets decent drop depth in bracket coverage. Still got to be a a Day 2 pick, though.

Maybe not any more. Big C updates us on Durant and the bengals' continued interest:

Bengals among teams interested in Durant

By Carlos "Big C" Holmes

Staff Writer

Monday, March 26, 2007

As NFL teams prepare for the April draft, talent evaluators like myself continue to ask the age-old question in regards to small-school talent.

When are general managers going to get over that "level of competition" stigma and start drafting who they perceived to be the best players available to fit their respective needs?

It appears that the Cincinnati Bengals are one of many teams ready to buck the trend as they continue to express their interest in Hampton University stud LB Justin Durant, who is catching fire around the league.

The Bengals sent linebacker coach Ricky Hunley to the school's campus last Thursday to work out Durant, and the way I hear it Hunley came away thoroughly impressed.

Although the Bengals may not be targeting the linebacker with their first-round pick, there is no question that he is on their list.

Durant met with head coach Marvin Lewis and company at the combine in February, and the team apparently was impressed enough to want to get a closer look at the linebacker.

Performance impressive

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound wrecking ball is quickly changing team's perception about the level of competition in which he played after watching him workout live and on film. Durant shined at the school's pro day during linebacker drills, and the numbers he posted at the combine were comparable to any linebacker entering the draft.

Durant ran a 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash and banged out 25 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press.

He registered a 36½ vertical jump and a 10-foot-1 broad jump. He has intrigued a number of teams that include the Bengals, Bears, Bills, Saints, Rams and Dolphins since his performance.

Durant is a fast riser and was once thought to be a Day Two guy, but now you may see him go as early as round two. Reason being, teams are realizing that he's a playa!

'Special' player

One of Durant's representatives, Robert London II, believes that he is something special.

"Pound for pound, Justin is one of the best linebackers transitioning into the NFL," London said. "His style of play and his aggressiveness I believe are head and shoulders above all the larger prospects from some of the more prominent schools.

"He is intelligent and has great football knowledge. Justin is special."

Don't think for a moment that this is just an agent trying to sell or hype his client.

The man who coached Durant for the past two seasons, defensive coordinator/linebackers coach Jerry Holmes, who spent five years coaching defensive backs for the San Diego Chargers (2002-03), Washington Redskins (2001) and Cleveland Browns (1999-00), more than backed up London's sentiments.

"Justin is very competitive," Holmes said. "He wants to win every 40-yard dash at the end of practice. He wants to be No. 1 in the weight room. Even if we're doing drills, linebacker vs. linebacker, he wants to win that."

Defensive leader

When it comes to learning Durant is more than a student of the game. He's like a professor.

"He's a minimal rep kind of guy," Holmes said. "Some guys require some reps to learn a defense. With Justin, we put a new defense in one time on the board and it's done. I can go and coach the other guys. He's a leader on defense, makes good calls from the huddle and makes good adjustments on the field. Justin is one of those guys. You know, like this time of year when spring practice is over and all the coaches are gone, he's in the film room watching tape. He's a real dedicated player."

The coach added that Durant likes to lead by example and doesn't like to show teammates up on the field. He said Durant is an all-around good character guy.

When asked where he thought Durant should go in the draft, coach Holmes spoke straight from the heart.

"Based on the information that I've received from guys I know in the NFL. I would be disappointed if he doesn't go on the first day," he said.

Plenty of confidence

Durant doesn't quite understand why he's viewed differently just because the level of talent on the field. He believes that he can play at any level and had a message to deliver to the league.

"I can't help where I attended school. The only thing I can do is put it on film and play hard every week. I work the hardest out of everyone and the level of competition thing is something I don't understand. We work just as hard has anyone else," Durant said.

Durant said he doesn't listen to all negative things being said about playing against a lower level talent because he knows those things doesn't apply to him.

What he accomplished at Hampton, three-time MEAC Defensive Player of the Year, should be a plus and not a negative. That said, not everyone looks at it as being a negative.

According to sources, there were a ton of teams throughout the season who made the trip to the university to watch Durant perform. Some teams twice.

The slant on Durant

Durant is very athletic and has the ability to make plays. He's very physical and his instincts are unbelievable. He shows good hands when catching the ball and is very versatile.

He covers well and makes plays downfield. Durant could probably play strong safety if he had to at the next level.

He's a high-motor guy who attacks the ball with a reckless abandon.

The one thing the dynamite linebacker will have to work on making the transition to the pros is shedding his blocks. Durant played the inside linebacker position in a 3-4 defense that ran a lot of stunts, which allowed him to run free and use his athletic ability, so he wouldn't have to take on guards and tackles. In the pros, he will have to learn to secure one gap and still be in position to take on a guard or a led with the fullback.

He needs to show a team that he can fill a hole and explode.

I believe Durant would be a product backer in any defensive scheme, but would probably be best served at this point playing the SAM position where he could utilize his God gifted ability more often.

Who will take chance?

Durant would be a more than adequate replacement for LB David Pollack if he were unable to return to the team because of his neck injury.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Durant were being judged solely on his ability to play football he would be a first-round lock, but he's not.

Instead, he is judged more on the level of competition that he's played, which is unfair. However, not every team is buying into the low level of competition thing, and the Bengals are one of them.

I'm told that at least six teams have Durant rated as one of the top three linebackers in the draft.

The question is who will be the team to pull the trigger on the hard-nosed linebacker who deserves to go on Day One of the draft.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/content/o...7bigconweb.html

Though report says Strong,where do you guys see him suited on our defense? SLB replace pollack? MLB if odell is done(brooks SLB)? or upgrade on the weak side.

I would look at him on the weak side, if only because he seems to have the athleticism and playmaking ability to handle it, and it's the position where IMHO the Bengals have the fewest options -- really one, Landon -- right now.

Wow, nice read. Wouldn't know it from Cincy media outlets that it was possible to find out about a player the Bengals like and actually speak with his agent and coach plus collect info on other teams showing interest. It sounds like it has to be taken at face value for what it reveals.

I had Durant in the 3rd to the Niners earlier this month but he's risen from there base on how his versatility fits into the flux of team needs with different bases and schemes in the equation. It's hard to know what the Bengals have planned at LB this year but it's good to get a glimpse about who they like.

Hard to tell where the small school players land but like last year with Chris Gocong who Hunley worked out at his pro day, the best look I get is how they fare on a level playing field in the All-Star games. Durant showed in the Shrine Game that he is a gap shooting crasher from the middle but the part in the article about how well can he shed blocks is compounded by just how well can he tackle bigger RBs. He had one RB run right through him where he had all the leverage near the line before the back accelerated. If that's a habit, it's a bad one for a MLB. I did like his bracket coverage skills on outs. He covers ground fast and reacts quickly.

Bengalswise, he looks like he could be a more versatile backer in the 2nd than Quincy Black because there'd be even more reservation about whether Black is physical enough to play the middle. Durant should be fine as a weakside backer like Black and also as a nickel backer. I'd be happy to see either in stripes because they've got the speed and coverage skills to fill the WSLB need at the very least. Can't say I can see Durant on the strongside at all.

The other question is how high will he go. The Bills are most likely taking a LB in the 2nd if they pass on Willis in the 1st, which I think they will for either Marshawn Lynch or Leon Hall. I've got them taking Brandon Siler who won't have the range that Durant has but won't be missing any tackles in the box.

Here's another view of Durant from The Huddle Report's Drew Boylhart...sounds like he pretty much agrees with you, schweiny.

Player Profile - Justin Durant LB Hampton

Posted by Drew Boylhart Senior Analyst / Category :: Huddle Notes

Posted on March 26, 2007

Justin Durant LB Hampton

STRENGTHS

Justin is an athletic player with good speed, burst and change of direction skills to play more than one position. He is a smart player and shows strong leadership abilities. He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. Justin uses his athletic talent and quickness to get the job done. He understands situational football as well as the angles to attack in the running game to make tackles behind the line of scrimmage. He has the athletic talent to be a good defender in passing situations and he has the passion and intelligence to continue to grow and get better for the team that drafts him.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE

Justin is not the type of LB that is going to meet, greet and shed a big old butt boy guard in the hole and make a tackle. If you are looking for that type of MLB, don’t draft Justin or draft him and make him your weakside LB. Justin uses his athleticism and a brain to make plays. He is a system MLB who could play OLB in any defense. (On another note: Hampton needs to improve their logo. A powder blue pirate just doesn’t do it for me personally. Not that I have anything against powder blue pirates, but I do have to say that it does not strike fear in myheart!!! )

TALENT BOARD ROUND: 2

Justin is an attack LB and he reminds me a lot of Donnie Edwards (LB Chargers) and Jonathan Vilma (LB Jets). He is not that big old lumbering MLB that is better going forward than he is going backwards. Justin is the new “fly around the field” 1-gap attack LB. In the right defense, Justin could impact in his first year just like Vilma did until the Jets changed their defense. Justin will struggle at first to adjust to the speed of the NFL, but he will adjust and compete and overcome. He has the character, intelligence, passion and talent to be an excellent LB at the next level. He also has the athletic talent to be a good safety at the next level, but the truth is that this kid was born to play LB in the NFL. He loves it! Playing him at safety would lessen his potential impact. Thiskid is a LB and should play somewhere in the front seven of your team. He is an impact LB waiting to happen and ifhe played for a bigger school, he would be rated as 1st round talent. Because he played at the level of competition and plays one of the more defensive skill positions, you have to take the level of competition intoconsideration. Justin has an LTI that will be a little longer until he steps his game up mentally to handle the challenge of the next level.

Hope Marvin ain't thinkig of Durant in the 1rst round :blink: ?!? Chris Houston in the first round and Justin Durant in the second. I'd be more then happy if that happened. :clap::rockon::clap:

Who Dey!!!

One more...

Justin Durant LB 6'2 235 Hampton

By: Robert Davis

Justin Durant is not just one of the best linebackers at the D1-AA level, he is one of the best players, period. As a freshman, he missed time due to injury, but still managed to finish with 32 tackles, 4.5 for loss, and a sack. As a sophomore he began to show just how good he could be. On the season, was in on 94 tackles, 14.5 for loss and five sacks, along with three interceptions. Durant became a true force as a junior, earning MEAC Defensive Player of the Year honors after posting 124 tackles, 15 for loss, five sacks, and a pick. He became a 3-time honoree for conference defensive player of the year as a senior. Durant had 98 tackles, 13 for loss, and one sack on the year.

Durant is very good at playing in space and letting his natural reactions and speed take over. He is a good athlete, with the speed to run down plays all over the field. He quickly diagnoses plays and flies to the football. Durant has the quickness and ability to change direction to be a factor in pass coverage. He also shows the willingness to s tick his nose in the trenches and make plays in the running game.

Bulk and strength are the two issues with Durant. He has trouble dis-engaging from blocks, which is a problem that will only be exploited at the next level. He can be taken out of running plays once a blocker locks on to him. His lack of bulk could cause him to wear down over the course of a rigorous 16 game season.

Justin Durant is a playmaker at linebacker, but he may need some time to bulk up and get stronger. He has the athleticism and speed to play at the next level, but is a work in progress. He may need to show he can be a factor on special teams to keep a roster spot until he develops as a complete linebacker. The talent is definitely there and is a player to keep an eye on.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospe...tin_durant.html

Since we don't have a 3rd rounder, I'd be happy with him in the 2nd round. There are certainly LB's I'd rather have... but his speed and intelligence would certainly give him the ability to be an upgrade as our WSLB.

In fact, if you had Durant at WSLB Caleb Miller at MLB, and Ahmad Brooks at SSLB, you'd be looking at one of the fastest sets of LB's (if not THE fastest) in the NFL.

2nd Round still might be a bit early... but if there are really that many teams interested in him, and Marvin really likes him as much as it seems, that's probably our only chance to get him.

Caleb starting MLB "shudder" better only be for 1 week :P

I don't know why. He was great last year. He's undersized... but that is actually all he has going against him. He played better than Brooks and Simmons both in his time at MLB... and he certainly wasn't caught out of position nearly as often as Odell was.

Nope... Caleb is smart, fast, and a very good tackler. What else do you want from a MLB? I'd rather have smart than a freakish athlete. Sure... it'd be nice to have both - but right now we have to choose one or the other, so I choose Caleb.

And just to show you that I'm not being a Bengal Homer here... a football "guru" named John Norton had this to say just after Miller stole the MLB job from Ahmad Brooks.

The Bengals LB situation has settled some with the emergence of Caleb Miller as a solid MLB and the inability of Brian Simmons to get healthy enough to play on gamedays... (Some) have questioned why Miller has been so much more successful than Ahmad Brooks and how Miller's play might affect Brooks long-term. There are a number of factors contributing to the good play and solid production of Miller. First, give credit to Miller. He's been much more disciplined in his run fits than either Simmons or Brooks were and he's tackling better too, despite being the smallest Mike in the league at 220 pounds. But, make no mistake, Miller is benefiting from the improved play of NT Sam Adams, who has been more disruptive over the past couple of weeks, and the return of starting SLB Rashad Jeanty. Jeanty is the only backer capable of holding the point of attack on the strong side consistently on the Bengal roster and has been a huge boost to the run defense. With Adams and Jeanty holding blockers and turning the play back inside, Miller has been free to roam and make plays cleanly. Given how disciplined Miller has been, Ahmad Brooks is unlikely to see the field in any significant role unless the Bengals fall from playoff contention or suffer another rash of injuries to the LB corps. Brooks has talent, though, and should be a factor in 2007. The wild card right now is the health of Brian Simmons. For now, despite being able to participate in practice, Simmons hasn't been needed on game days with everybody else healthy. Simmons has a knack for making big plays, though, and will likely rotate in with Miller and Johnson, especially in nickel packages, when healthy enough to go. For now, though, ride the Miller wave while it's hot.

That seems like a pretty glowing report from an unbiased observer, about someone you "shudder" over. If we have terribly DT play, I might lean toward Brooks as the MLB... but if we can get even somewhat solid play from the DT position, I really believe that Miller is the best MLB on our roster. And having Brooks as the SSLB should only make him better.

I don't know why. He was great last year. He's undersized... but that is actually all he has going against him. He played better than Brooks and Simmons both in his time at MLB... and he certainly wasn't caught out of position nearly as often as Odell was.

Caleb gets caught out of position or over runs a play just like Odell(See Nfl network path to the draft every run play Involved Caleb making a mistake.),Caleb is a solid backup but I'll take Odell's on the field play over Caleb any day of the week.

Not trying play race card but Caleb gets over glorified because he's white, people wanna dis Odell for being out of position when he's a rookie yet ignore it when Caleb does it in his 3rd year..Not saying you are derek but seems to be reason about alot of the Caleb backers.

Not trying play race card but Caleb gets over glorified because he's white, people wanna dis Odell for being out of position when he's a rookie yet ignore it when Caleb does it in his 3rd year..Not saying you are derek but seems to be reason about alot of the Caleb backers.
Kaz... I usually don't find your comments to be overly dumb - but that one was. Caleb's success was overblown because he was white? Please. Nope... Caleb is just way more disciplined than Odell.

Brooks has talent, though, and should be a factor in 2007. The wild card right now is the health of Brian Simmons. For now, despite being able to participate in practice, Simmons hasn't been needed on game days with everybody else healthy. Simmons has a knack for making big plays, though, and will likely rotate in with Miller and Johnson, especially in nickel packages, when healthy enough to go.

Simmons not needed when everyone is healthy? A rotation player? Nickle packages? It sure sounds like someone was headed for the door long before it closed behind him.

I would have to agree and I'm black. I thought Caleb played the MLB spot best last year and was really confused why he didn't get more pt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the defense have it's best stretch when Caleb was manning the mike?

As for Durant, my lovely still grandma lives in Hampton, Va and both my grandparents are/were heavily involved with the school, they produce quality individuals and good football players too. I believe Durant's brother played basketball for UNC, so athleticism runs in the family.

Personally I hope Willis falls but if not I like Durant, although I could see the Colts taking him late in the first cause Tony knows a quality football player when he sees one and it sounds like Durant would be a great fit in their scheme.

Brooks has talent, though, and should be a factor in 2007. The wild card right now is the health of Brian Simmons. For now, despite being able to participate in practice, Simmons hasn't been needed on game days with everybody else healthy. Simmons has a knack for making big plays, though, and will likely rotate in with Miller and Johnson, especially in nickel packages, when healthy enough to go.

Simmons not needed when everyone is healthy? A rotation player? Nickle packages? It sure sounds like someone was headed for the door long before it closed behind him.

Yep. It seems like Bengal fans are the only ones who didn't notice.

For as much as people don't care for Caleb... he outplayed Simmons by leaps and bounds last year - and that was before his injury.

Need proof? Simmons didn't return to his full-time role even after he healed up.

Just asking if Caleb was so great why aren't teams giving up a 3rd for him? even a team like the colts who have a need and a fettish for undersized LBs,

Why is Caleb the first one to the bench when jeanty and Bsimmons return even before landon if he was our best LB? I have nothing agaist Caleb I like him as a player but I'd still take Odell over him for next 10 years if Odell could stay out of trouble.

I still don't like Caleb's ability to play in traffic at his size, and make plays at or behind the LOS.

He's just a "good guy to have" on your roster as a back-up or ST's player - but he has to get tougher and make more big plays if he ever wants to be a starter in the league.

It might be different if the Bengals' had a great WLB/SSLB or two.

Like Brooks, it seemed Caleb had one or two very good games, but wasn't much of a factor after that. I remember really hoping he was something after his first start last year - only to watch him settle back into the player we all thought he was.

Look, this defense was for the most part, terrible last year, sans a nice one month run against some bad offenses.

Yet, all I read here is how every player the Bengals' have on their roster is so good - from Madeiu to Justin Smith to Geathers to Caleb and Simmons and Brooks and Peko, Dexter etc...,

If they were all so good and worth keeping/starting, this would be a top 10 defense - but it's not even close. Although I think the d-coordinator's ridiculously bad game planning has as much to do with it as anything.

If Chuck wants his plans to work against great teams - he's going to need the horses to accomplish it.