NASCAR and ESPN

AMC

All NASCAR Races on ESPN to be in High-Def..including In-Car Cams: NASCAR fans are welcoming back an old friend this year with ESPN’s return to coverage of the sport, but the old friend is going to have a sophisticated new look when live NASCAR coverage resumes next month. ESPN and ESPN on ABC’s coverage of the Nextel Cup Series and Busch Series will be the most technologically advanced programming in the history of televised motorsports, according to Jed Drake, senior vice president and executive producer for ESPN. "ESPN's presentation of NASCAR will be state of the art at every level of production,” said Drake. ”We have built a production plan that will provide a truly exceptional presentation to our viewers."

All NASCAR on ESPN races and associated programming will be totally produced in High Definition, a first for televised motorsports. Of the approximately 60 to 75 cameras that will be used by ESPN in televising races, more than used in any other sport, all will be HD. ESPN, a pioneer in the development of in-car cameras during its 20 seasons of NASCAR coverage from 1981-2000, has been preparing for use of HD in-car cameras in advance of the Busch Series season-opening Orbitz 300 from Daytona on ESPN2 February 17. The camera systems had to be re-engineered for HD, as did the camera power and transmission systems within the race cars, all while maintaining a delicate balance to not add weight to the cars and possibly affect their performance. ESPN’s NASCAR coverage will also include HD cameras providing other interesting points of view, including grass cam, wall cam, crew cams, pit overhead cams, blimps and multiple robotic cameras at various points around the tracks. In addition to 100% use of HD cameras, ESPN will also produce NASCAR’s top two series with Sportvision technology, which Rich Feinberg, senior coordinating producer, said no TV network has ever used in Busch Series coverage. Sportvision utilizes satellite technology to create on-screen “pointers” to designate specific cars within a pack, helping viewers distinguish their favorite driver’s car, lead-lap cars and produces telemetry from the race cars to show speeds, braking and other compelling information to viewers. All cars in the races will carry Sportvision transmitters.

ESPN’S NASCAR FUN FACTS:

6 – Tractor-trailer rigs used each event (including pit studio, in-car camera trailer, custom office trailer)

10 – Number of months ESPN’s NASCAR fleet will be on the road (February-November)

26 – Tracks ESPN’s mobile fleet will visit in 2007

38 – NASCAR events ESPN’s mobile fleet will attend in 2007

52 – NASCAR races to be televised live by ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN on ABC in 2007 (full 35-race Busch Series season, final 17 Nextel Cup events)

60-75 – HD Cameras used by ESPN to televise a NASCAR race (including in-car cameras)

200 – Credentialed ESPN personnel working on NASCAR each week

78,000 – Weight in pounds of ESPN traveling studio for NASCAR Countdown shows

ESPN commissioned the creation of four of what Feinberg said are “the most sophisticated mobile production units ever built in the history of TV motorsports, designed just for our NASCAR coverage.” Among the innovations within the ESPN-branded units is a radio room in which radio transmissions of all 43 teams in NASCAR races will be recorded during races, allowing producers to be able to lift specific transmissions of any driver or team at any time. “I call it the ultimate TiVo,” said Feinberg.

For its NASCAR Countdown studio shows that will precede all NASCAR race telecasts, ESPN will originate from the most technologically-advanced traveling studio ever used in sports television. The studio, which weighs nearly 78,000 pounds and will travel to 26 NASCAR tracks this season, will allow ESPN to bring the look and feel of its Bristol, Conn.,-based studio shows such as SportsCenter and Sunday NFL Countdown to the tracks.

The mobile pit studio will be outfitted with state-of-the-art LED lighting, three robotic HD cameras and a dramatic, contoured, video display fronting the anchor desk. Situated near the pits at every track, the studio will be elevated 14 feet while in use and 30 foot glass windows will give viewers a look at the cars, grandstands and pageantry prior to the race start. “We want to show the scope and size of the sport,” Feinberg said. Feinberg also said ESPN will have an exciting new animation, graphic and musical package featuring Aerosmith.(ESPN PR)(1-24-2007)

I'll wait for Hi-Def capable TVs to come down in price. I have a nice 32" regular color TV, which I bought from a store with it sitting side by side next to a Hi-Def set, and I'm sorry, but the picture wasn't $475 better than the one I bought.

Sounds pretty sweet...Can't wait till the 500..I'm actually very interested in NASCAR this year unlike the past in which I haven't paid much attention but this year should be exciting.

One bit of advice. If you have DVR or some recording technology, use it. This way you'll get through the commercials (they run during green flag laps) and the caution periods (which can take up to 20 minutes before going green again). A 4-5 hour race can be cut in half if you record it and get through the down times.

Sounds pretty sweet...Can't wait till the 500..I'm actually very interested in NASCAR this year unlike the past in which I haven't paid much attention but this year should be exciting.

One bit of advice. If you have DVR or some recording technology, use it. This way you'll get through the commercials (they run during green flag laps) and the caution periods (which can take up to 20 minutes before going green again). A 4-5 hour race can be cut in half if you record it and get through the down times.

We actually had a DirecTV DVR but never hooked it up because it would take one of our recievers away from another tv and my dad didnt feel like doing that..I think it would of been worth it tho..That thing can help you out so much..I want one so bad :(

Well if you're interested WhoDeyForever, we have a Bengalszone Fantasy Nascar League here, hosted at "Yahoo Fantasy Sports:"

Group ID#: 7588

Group Name: Bengalszone Nascar

Group Password: whodey

Well if you're interested WhoDeyForever, we have a Bengalszone Fantasy Nascar League here, hosted at "Yahoo Fantasy Sports:"

Group ID#: 7588

Group Name: Bengalszone Nascar

Group Password: whodey

I joined B)