Henry Jailed

AMC

I see losing hm for September as the "best case scenario"

It is not out of the question that he will be suspended for the year. I'd say this is certainly not as likely as 4-6 games, but remains a possibility, especially considering that the commissioner by now has to be thinking about setting an example

But that's just the initial suspension, and makes the assumption that no more legal troubles arise *and* that he meets all the terms of all the court decisions to date. As pointed out by Mr Steakhouse, there is a better than even chance he won't (given his gangsta-wannabe lifestyle) be able to meet these terms, and ergo will face added suspension time

I'd feel better about it if I got any sense he had given any hint of contrite-ness, but to date, there's been nothing

Both those suspended sentences will very likely end up being served. Misdemeanor probation is very often non-reporting probation. The only way the Court then discovers a violation is through further contact with the system. Like he gets into a push and shove thing in a bar, the police check it out and no charges are filed. But his contact with the police reveals him drinking and he gets revoked. The drug testing is an Everest for Cheech. Is there any reasonable belief he can stay clean and sober for two years? The whole thing is just another chance for the Bengals to get dragged through the mud on national sports radio and TV when he gets busted and his probation gets revoked. It would have been better for everyone if he had just been ordered to serve his whole sentence immediately. Then he gets it over with and he's off paper. As it is now, with our luck with this guy he'll probably serve his 90 days mid Sept. through mid Dec. I can't stand it.

Henry's finished, I just can't see him straightening up for two years under these restrictions:

Ouch. Yeah, that's pretty rough.

Yeah it's really that I just can't see the guy staying away from bars or doing "something" to violate his probation, no matter how minor, considering he's so high profile now.

I mean the guy was seen out drinking at a local Mainstrausse bar by himself after the Pitt game for cryin' out loud.

This will be at true test of Marvin and staff's abilities to monitor and control the guy's behavior the next two years. I hope the 2 days in the pokey wakes him up a bit.

I don't expect him to "not drink at all" the next 2 years - but you can only hope his teammates take him in and make sure he only does so at home or at private residences amongst friends/teammates.

He will definitely need some sort of watch dog or mentor looking after him.

Like Thurman, the Bengals' really need to expect that he will not be available to them most or all of next year now. What a bad turn of events.

The guy is as talented as they come, too bad he can't handle it.

Fair enough. Let's say Henry stays clean for a season but then backslides into Hell like the unrepentant sinner we all know him to be. (Praise Jeebus!) Now assume for a brief moment that Henry continues to produce as he always has. Or better yet, let's assume that he continued to progress...perhaps catching as many as 50 balls.

How many TD's would you project Henry would score for the Bengals in his brief three year career?

22?

25?

28?

All that production in exchange for the relative pittance he's being paid due to falling into the 3rd round of the draft? Hmmmm.

Now let's assume that Henry melts down in some hooker-wounding-marijuana-smoking frenzy the very same day he's released from jail this week. His career is over. (Praise Jeebus!) Allowing for the fact that you'll get nothing more from Henry...wasn't he a major reason the Bengals reached the playoffs in '05? And if they had made it again this season couldn't it be said that it wouldn't have been possible without the Cheech? So even if he didn't play another down for the Bengals....hasn't he proven to be a better draft pick than fellow 3rd round wideout Kelly Washington? And before you answer, ask yourself if the mostly hated K-Dub has been guilty of anything more than bad dancing?

In fact, hasn't Henry already produced much more than many wideouts drafted in the 1st round?

Fair enough. Let's say Henry stays clean for a season but then backslides into Hell like the unrepentant sinner we all know him to be.

...and then the Bengals burn another high pick on a WR and you get to complain about them ignoring the defense again...

Fair enough. Let's say Henry stays clean for a season but then backslides into Hell like the unrepentant sinner we all know him to be.

...and then the Bengals burn another high pick on a WR and you get to complain about them ignoring the defense again...

Untrue. Not only am I making the case that Henry has already produced enough to justify being drafted in the 3rd round, but I'm on record saying that Henry's replacement, if needed, is already on the roster. (Chatman & Brazell)

In addition, my complaints about the defense being ignored are limited to the Bengals habit of burning picks on offensive role players who won't play enough snaps to justify a high draft pick. In short, using a 1st round pick on a 3rd down RB or a TE that won't be featured due to the talent already on the roster are luxuries the Bengals can't afford.

And in your more lucid moments you must feel that way too or you wouldn't write so often about how the Bengals lack of talent on defense reminds you of a horrific train wreck.