Same old Bengals?

altherr

Who would have thought after Marvin Lewis was selected to be the coach of our Bengals that we would be going into the bye week with a 1-4 record? Honestly, I did. I knew that this was going to be a rebuilding year, and it would take another one or two drafts and offseason of free agent signings before this team would be where it needed to be. The thing that upsets me the most is that they are playing as good as they are, if that makes any sense. If we would have beat the Raiders and Bills, which we physically beat in this early season, we would be sitting at 3-2. We would be 2-1 in the division, undefeated on the road, and on top of the AFC North. It would be an exciting bye week in Cincinnati, but then we would probably fall short of the playoffs or lose in the first round. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Bengals in the playoffs, but not this year. We're just not ready yet. Let's take this season to learn how to play as a team and post W's on the board, and then we can set our hopes high for 2004 and on. After all Marvin Lewis has done for the city, all I ever hear are radio personalities bashing him for the way he didn't use timeouts, or didn't change the quarterback, and so on. Palmer will be the starter next season, and will really give us a good shot (hopefully). Could you imagine the way the team's been playing now with a quarterback who doesn't make costly mistakes in the red zone. Well, I'm babbling on, I just wanted to see if anybody else feels this way.

It would be an exciting bye week in Cincinnati, but then we would probably fall short of the playoffs or lose in the first round. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the Bengals in the playoffs, but not this year. We're just not ready yet.

I tend to agree. I have no objection to the Bengals making the playoffs, but only if the really earn it, not because they manage to squeak out a "championship" because the division is so weak. All that's likely to get them is a rerun of the Atlanta game last year, where they go out in front of a national audience and get killed. I could happily skip going through that again.