Odell likely done in Cincy

Whur CHad At?

via ESPN.com

Lewis doesn't expect LB Thurman back with Bengals

CINCINNATI -- Coach Marvin Lewis refused to talk about suspended linebacker Odell Thurman on Tuesday, another indication that he has written him out of the Cincinnati Bengals' plans.

Thurman was suspended for the season because he violated the NFL's substance abuse policy. He can apply to the league for reinstatement before next season.

Lewis has been upset with the middle linebacker's repeated off-field problems, and took his locker away when the NFL handed down its suspension. Lewis also told Thurman to stay away from the team.

"Odell is not a member of this football team," Lewis said Tuesday. "He's on suspension by the NFL. He's got a long road to go. I'm not even going to spend any time talking about Odell.

"We're talking about our '07 season. He's not part of this football team. We don't need to talk about it."

Thurman and receiver Chris Henry epitomized the underlying problems with the '06 Bengals.

Thurman was a second-round draft pick in 2005 and started 15 games as a rookie. He led the team in tackles, tied for the lead in forced fumbles, and had five interceptions, the most by any rookie in the NFL.

It appeared that Thurman, who came out of Georgia with questions about his character, was a defensive star in the making. But he got a four-game suspension from the league for missing an offseason drug test.

After a victory in Pittsburgh left the Bengals 3-0, Thurman was arrested for drunken driving that night. Henry, who has been arrested four times, was a passenger in the vehicle but wasn't charged.

The league extended Thurman's suspension for the rest of the season, and Henry was benched by Lewis for the next game. The league then added a two-game suspension for Henry, who has two court cases pending heading into the offseason.

Lewis originally hoped that Thurman could become a leader like middle linebacker Ray Lewis in Baltimore. Now, he appears to have written him off.

Asked if Thurman could be part of the team again, Lewis said, "I don't know that. I don't see it on our horizon."

Thurman's off-field problems forced the Bengals to rearrange their linebackers and repeatedly switch their defensive lineups. Although the defense improved overall this season, it faded during an 0-3 finish that cost the Bengals (8-8) a chance to make the playoffs.

Lewis said Tuesday that the defense was one of his biggest disappointments.

"Defensively, I think the thing we really have to do is develop an identity," Lewis said. "I think if you said what's a disappointment, that's a disappointment. We didn't develop an identity.

"We had a good start at it, we had a little blip in the middle, and I don't think we finished it off very well. I know we didn't finish it off very good. That's something that I've got to look hard at."

Such a shame, a great talent totally wasted. The Channing Crowder selection sounds better now. What a mistake we made...

Let's trade him to the Raiders for a 7th rounder so we at least get something for him leaving.

:cheers:

Geez, it used to be the Raiders were the bad boys of the NFL, but I suppose that distinction now belongs to us :wacko:

I'm going to be spending about 10 nights in Oakland next month, for the first time. They tell me that much of the town is like the reputation of the football team. Should be interesting, but won't deter me from proudly wearing my Bengals cap and jacket :sure:

Let's trade him to the Raiders for a 7th rounder so we at least get something for him leaving.

:cheers:

Geez, it used to be the Raiders were the bad boys of the NFL, but I suppose that distinction now belongs to us :wacko:

I'm going to be spending about 10 nights in Oakland next month, for the first time. They tell me that much of the town is like the reputation of the football team. Should be interesting, but won't deter me from proudly wearing my Bengals cap and jacket :sure:

If you go out after dark, bring a howitzer with you.

I personally think Odell will return next season. The guy has a ton of talent and can fill a void in the middle of the defense. While you cannot rely upon him to be your starting MLB, why not let him hang around and be a back up and special teamer.

You don't let him hang around because you cannot rely on him, like you said. Lawrence Phillips and Maurice Clarrett had tons of talent but they didn't stick anywhere because they couldn't be relied upon. If he does come back, color me surprised. But he is, like the title, likely done. He'll probably be cut, although the smart thing would be to try to get SOMETHING for him in a trade.

I can't see any team giving up something valuable, like a draft pick for Odell. He is damaged goods, now out of football for a season. From reading Marvin's presser, I wonder if Odell has even kept in shape? Sounds like his time spent away from the Bengals hasn't included the effort to impress Marvin. He'll be cut.

I personally think Odell will return next season. The guy has a ton of talent and can fill a void in the middle of the defense. While you cannot rely upon him to be your starting MLB, why not let him hang around and be a back up and special teamer.

You don't let him hang around because you cannot rely on him, like you said. Lawrence Phillips and Maurice Clarrett had tons of talent but they didn't stick anywhere because they couldn't be relied upon. If he does come back, color me surprised. But he is, like the title, likely done. He'll probably be cut, although the smart thing would be to try to get SOMETHING for him in a trade.

I can't see any team giving up something valuable, like a draft pick for Odell. He is damaged goods, now out of football for a season. From reading Marvin's presser, I wonder if Odell has even kept in shape? Sounds like his time spent away from the Bengals hasn't included the effort to impress Marvin. He'll be cut.

Odell has gotten extremley fat and out of shape

Quote: Asked if Thurman could be part of the team again, Lewis said, "I don't know that. I don't see it on our horizon."

Marvin is playing this one very slick. Reading between the lines, he'll be at training camp and see how it goes. "I don't know that" leaves a lot of room for him to keep him and still be able to say he didn't mislead anyone.

I, for one, think he should be brought to camp. If he still has the goods to play, either keep him or trade him then when he might have some good value to a team is hurting for a LB and has to take a chance.

Quote: Asked if Thurman could be part of the team again, Lewis said, "I don't know that. I don't see it on our horizon."

Marvin is playing this one very slick. Reading between the lines, he'll be at training camp and see how it goes. "I don't know that" leaves a lot of room for him to keep him and still be able to say he didn't mislead anyone.

I, for one, think he should be brought to camp. If he still has the goods to play, either keep him or trade him then when he might have some good value to a team is hurting for a LB and has to take a chance.

Hell be back...

Hell be back...

ODELL, IS THAT YOU ?

PATHETIC

new member your first post...hmmmm...seems fishy

Hell be back...

ODELL, IS THAT YOU ?

PATHETIC

new member your first post...hmmmm...seems fishy

no, this is NOT Odell..i just found this board so i joined up. I am a big fan of Odell though.

also i see him coming back because no person in there right mind would get rid of Odell's talent, and have it costing the bengals to terminate his contract. The only way i could see them getting rid of Odell is for a very high draft pick, which they most likely will not get

Honestly, I don't think Bengals will be getting rid of Thurman either. They can't afford to lose him, personel-wise and cap-wise. I think ML has been playing his "hard ass" role all season with Thurman just to see how he will react. If he proves that he want's to be on the team and gets his act together this off-season I have no doubt he will be on the Bengals roster and starting in 2007. If he has no positive response to being "banned" from the stadium and having his locker cleaned out then he obviously has some heavy duty character issues and it wasn't just a string of bad luck. But if I had to guess it will be the former and not the latter.