Bengals D-line

BENGALTHEM

So with all this talk about getting a defensive tackle. Does this mean that the Dlinemen we picked up last year (Powell, Thorton, and Clemons) bad moves? I thought these guys were supposed to be the answer for our D-line? Why was this line with Smith, Thorton, Williams and Clemons so ineffective at stopping the run?

So with all this talk about getting a defensive tackle. Does this mean that the Dlinemen we picked up last year (Powell, Thorton, and Clemons) bad moves? I thought these guys were supposed to be the answer for our D-line? Why was this line with Smith, Thorton, Williams and Clemons so ineffective at stopping the run?

Well, I don't the D-lines sole responsiblity is to stop the run per say. The primary function of the D-Line is to clog holes and gaps so the Linebackers can clean up the mess. If we have a DT that can shed a block and make the tackle, then hell yea; but I don't think it's a requirement. That's why guys that can shed a block and make the tackle are Pro Bowlers every year.

It's actually a simple format Bengalthem.

- You add a free agent to fill a hole until a drafted player can develop into a starter.

At the begining of free Agency I said that there were a number of Bengal players that would not be here in '04.

1. Artrell Hawkins

2. Jeff Burris

3. Oliver Gibson

4. Tony Williams- who'll probably be cut when we sign Gardner officially. ( Remember Marvin Lewis' motto- " if you're paid to start, and you don't then you won't be here !)

5. Kevin Kaesviharn - really took my by surprise that he was brought back, but just because he signed a contract, doesn't mean he's guaranteed a roster spot.

-- Marquand Manuel is the Better Special teams player, so any drafted safety will most likely push KK or MM off the roster.

* One thing that is for sure, the same positions that we signed in FA, will be the same positions that we draft !

1.Nate Webster - lb round 2- 5

2. Kim Herring - s rounds 2- 5

3. Deltha Oneal- cb 1- 5

4. Rich Braham - 1-4

5. a replacement for Corey possibly and

6. Bobbie Williams - g - 1.? maybe Vernon Carey - 6...

7. Daryl Gardner - dt - a dt should come from day 1.

Seems kinda vague, but those are the rounds that we'll get value at for those players.

- We'll also have to address the DE spot since Clemons and Powell aren't signed past '04.

Free agent fill a hole then draft for the future looks like a good formula.

I'd say the guard position is not needed, though, since Williams is relatively young. A 2nd DE would be good instead. Plus we got nine picks.

So how about:

1) Randy Starks DT

2) Rodney Leisle DT

3) Tommy Kelley DE

3) Tony Hargrove DE

4) Rod Davis LB

4) Alex Stepanovich C

5) Brandon Johnson RB

6) Josh Buhl SS

7) Greg Golden CB

If he could play them both at the same time, he solve the DL dilemma on his own.

The draft guru seems right about Williams at DT, which would only leave Thornton left there from last year.

I'd like to see Wlliams' $2.5 mill put toward a bid for Ravens DE Marques Douglas by Friday. Even if the Ravens re-sign him, the less cap room they got the better.

www.baltimoresun.com/media/thumbnails/photo/2003-09/9410082.jpg (Douglas sacking Holcomb)

Either way, it seems like an even heavier D-line draft with the signings to this point.