Palmer

B24

let's take a serious look.....obviously you all know i support kit, and there's nothing worse then listening to 1360 homer, the sports animal's "2 obnoxious idiots"...anyway....all things aside....lewis is trying to put a winner on the field NOW......however this is not the team of the future......the future is not only palmer....but a couple new receivers....some linemen...and probably a new running back...not dillon...i really don't want to belittle any of the players who are out there giving there all.....so, think about what kitna is doing and going thru for this team.....he is here taking the abuse and continuing to lead, help teach palmer along with matthews...and the result in the end is...he knows he loses his position...this guy is a true professional....the int against buf was caused when a defensive player hit him and the ball as he released....yet he takes the blame....we're very fortunate to have him....let's see what happens over the bye-week...... B)

Why would Lewis do that? I think I would rather have Kitna take the snaps, and make sure he is more prepared. Unless Palmer is going to start soon (Which I hope he doesn't) then he has all the way until next year to improve.

I think you answered your initial question (why would Lewis do that?) when you said "unless Palmer is going to start soon." I certainly wouldn't say it's a lock but, assuming Carson is up to speed on the offense (and he ought to have the basics down by now) Lewis has to at least think about it.

I think this is all about taking a couple weeks to get a long look at where Palmer stands. I'm sure Lewis has been busy enough as head coach that he hasn't paid a lot of attention to Carson's progress over the last five weeks. That ball's been in Zampese's court. So Lewis wants to give him a long look himself and judge just how ready he is. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he was pushed up to the No. 2 slot if that look is positive.

As for him replacing Kitna as starter? Well, the bottom line is that even when Kitna plays decently overall, as he did in Buffalo, he still makes one or two bonehead plays you just want to kill him for. For example, I'm sure Palmer could do just as good a job as Kitna at taking a sack that knocks you out of FG range. Would you rather have Kitna in there making that kind of rookie mistake, or have the rookie do it and hopefully learn something?

Personally, I don't think they ought to toss Kitna overboard quite yet, not with a string of very winnable games coming up where his experience could make the difference. But if Marvin deems Carson ready to go, I don't think I'd complain too loudly about that, either.

I think the plan is to get Palmer as much pratice as possible without having a negative impact on the team. Kitna has shown he knows how the offense, and can move it. The only problem Kitna has is when he is trying to win the game and forces things, then he creates turnovers. I don't think the week of practice would benefit him like it will Palmer. They won't even be putting in the game plan for the Ravens until next week anyway. Kitna will be the starter until the Bengals our out of contetion, injury, or he self destructs. The Bengals have no reason to rush Palmer into the lineup before he is ready.

cheers