Direct TV

BengalChamps

I'm thinking of changing from cable to Satellite. I need the voice of experience talking to me. Can anyone guide me?

Well, I am not the satellite voice as I continue with cable. My reasons are not for quality nor channel selection. In fact, if those were my only needs, I would surely go satellite. For me, I have two other distinct needs: 1) Broadband, and 2) Many T.V.s.

There are surely other choices with broadband (i.e. dsl, T-1), but the cost with the cable package is nice. If I had satellite, I would have to de-couple this. The biggest reason, however, is that I have 6 televisions that are typically being used in my home. Of course only a couple of these are digital, but with cable I can split/amplify the signal as much as I want. The signal is analog for such splits, but that works for these other rooms. To match the 6-room needs, with satellite I would have to have a box for each room (which is often free with special packages), but I would have to also have multiple dishes (3?) to allow for all t.v.s to be on different channels at once.

That's the best of my understanding, and the reason I continue to stick with cable. Until satellite can allow me to have up to 6 t.v.s all on different channels for a similar cost as cable (plus a broadband alternative), I will continue with cable.

To match the 6-room needs, with satellite I would have to have a box for each room (which is often free with special packages), but I would have to also have multiple dishes (3?) to allow for all t.v.s to be on different channels at once.

So 1 dish can only control 2 TV's?

Again, I am surely not the expert, but if I recall correctly, each dish has a 'dual LNB'. If memory serves me correctly, this is the makeup of a modern dish (older ones had a single LNB), and allows a single dish to receive digital feed from two distinct sources (satellites). That said, you can then take the signal from each of these LNBs to digital boxes in the house. You may surely split the signal from either line, but whatever channel is chosen has to be used for all televisions on the 'end-points' in the home. To satisfy the 6-tv need, I would (in theory) need to have 3 such dishes.

Again ... that is the best of my understanding, which is a bit dated (and maybe even flawed!). If anyone can correct me, I would love to know where I am wrong.

To match the 6-room needs, with satellite I would have to have a box for each room (which is often free with special packages), but I would have to also have multiple dishes (3?) to allow for all t.v.s to be on different channels at once.

Directv can work with at least 6 tv's with one dish, maybe more. I know when I was signing up for Directv there was something on the faq page about most house only need one dish no matter how many rooms.

Directv can work with at least 6 tv's with one dish, maybe more. I know when I was signing up for Directv there was something on the faq page about most house only need one dish no matter how many rooms.

I may have to recheck the technology, but last I checked such a statement was true but you could not have every tv on different channels at the same time.

Well, I have Direct TV and I would have to advise you to pass on it. It was the worst mistake I have made with my home. As soon as my contract is up I am going back to cable.

Everytime there is cloud cover or a decent storm I loose everything. And my reception is about 90% (which is a lot higher than most installer fix it at).

I noticed a few people said you could install 2 TV's per dish. That is not true with my system. I can install up to five off of my dish, but the catch is that is it $4.99 per box. So if you have six boxes you will pay an additional $29.00 on top of your regular bill. I argued with them about this one.

If you are still interested in it, then I would just say be very cautious and ask a few people around your area that may have it to see if they have had any problems with their systems.

Well, I have Direct TV and I would have to advise you to pass on it. It was the worst mistake I have made with my home. As soon as my contract is up I am going back to cable.

Everytime there is cloud cover or a decent storm I loose everything. And my reception is about 90% (which is a lot higher than most installer fix it at).

I noticed a few people said you could install 2 TV's per dish. That is not true with my system. I can install up to five off of my dish, but the catch is that is it $4.99 per box. So if you have six boxes you will pay an additional $29.00 on top of your regular bill. I argued with them about this one.

If you are still interested in it, then I would just say be very cautious and ask a few people around your area that may have it to see if they have had any problems with their systems.

Take E's advise and run to your cable provider immediately! Dont' go with satelite dude. Could you imagine watching the Game or the SB and the freaking signal go out? OMG, I would flip! Seriously, cable is the better of the two for many reasons. It's easy to run cable to rooms where you don't want to use digital. If you want the room to be digital, pay an extra 6 ot 7 bucks for a digital box. HD is no extra charge (They can't charge for Local HD channels, Satelite charges for locals.), unless you want the extra channels like ESPN, HD Net and INHD. Go to Best Buy and look at their digital TV's (They use Direct), everything is pixelated. You don't get as much of that on LCD's, Plasma, DLP's on digital cable. The High definition is definitely better on cable. It's also really easy to get service on your cable if you need to.

I'm with Time Warner and I package all of my services together. Right now I pay $108/mo. for Digital Phone (no different than reg. phone), Broadband (Road Runner), and Digital Cable with a HD DVR free for a year and Showtime free for a year. I added one digital box for the basement which put me up to $108, it would be $99 without it. I've been with Time Warner for a couple of years now and some lady from them came to my house and offered me the package. If you know anyone that a Rep. came to their door, get their number. They can get you the best deals. You cannot get this kind of deal by calling the office and asking for it. I think the best you can do is $119.99 through time warner and that doesn't include the HD DVR or Showtime.

Also, you may have noticed that he said "contract". Stay the hell away from that! Time Warner makes you sign NO contract.

They only good thing that I have found in my research of satelites is that most, if not all, of the channels are digital. Even if you do have digital cable, a lot of channels are still analog. I don't care if some of my channels are still analog, as long as I don't loose signal from time to time like satelite.

Great responses from guys that obviously have experience with this. I now see that you can have many tvs on a single dish, but it's the 'box' that costs per t.v. It's these 'boxes' that allow for individual control of channels. Regardless, it then becomes a cost issue. How in the world could I add another $25-$30 / month just to get where I am today with cable? I agree agreen, I'd rather deal with a few 'splits' being analog if it means such a better cost, no signal loss, and ability to 'split' at will. Reasons I continue with cable.

(although I have to admit that FTTP is becoming a real alternative. At least in my area, Verizon is to have 'fiber to the premises' soon, and I expect I might go that route for everything. Not sure, but it is another option coming)

I'm thinking of changing from cable to Satellite. I need the voice of experience talking to me. Can anyone guide me?

Say goodbye to you super high speed cable modem, and get ready for just faster than dial up speed! Also forget about watching TV when a storm blows through town. I was at my father in laws house, and he has satellite. I wasn't impressed.

Great responses from guys that obviously have experience with this. I now see that you can have many tvs on a single dish, but it's the 'box' that costs per t.v. It's these 'boxes' that allow for individual control of channels. Regardless, it then becomes a cost issue. How in the world could I add another $25-$30 / month just to get where I am today with cable? I agree agreen, I'd rather deal with a few 'splits' being analog if it means such a better cost, no signal loss, and ability to 'split' at will. Reasons I continue with cable.

(although I have to admit that FTTP is becoming a real alternative. At least in my area, Verizon is to have 'fiber to the premises' soon, and I expect I might go that route for everything. Not sure, but it is another option coming)

What is this FTTP? Never heard of it, I guess I could google it but don't really feel like it.

Say goodbye to you super high speed cable modem, and get ready for just faster than dial up speed! Also forget about watching TV when a storm blows through town. I was at my father in laws house, and he has satellite. I wasn't impressed.

Everywhere I go that has satelite (Friends, Father in-laws, Family) I'm never impressed.

What is this FTTP? Never heard of it, I guess I could google it but don't really feel like it.

Fiber To The Premises. It's basically the 'phone company's answer to cable. Effectively, by digging up neighborhoods and yards, they have a many year project of putting fiber in the ground such that every home has fiber all the way to the house itself. By doing so (at least in theory), they will be set up to allow for audio, video, and broadband all over a single line for each home. I suppose the idea is that each home in the future will have all this available over the equivalent of a phone line. We'll see if it works. There is no doubt that the fiber will hold this, but I get a bit concerned about inside the home. My guess is that it will take a little rewiring, but not sure. There are some areas locally that already have this, and my neighborhood is due to have it done in '07. A friend of mine moved from dsl to fttp locally and loves it. He is not, however, recieving video over that line yet. We'll see.

Fiber To The Premises. It's basically the 'phone company's answer to cable. Effectively, by digging up neighborhoods and yards, they have a many year project of putting fiber in the ground such that every home has fiber all the way to the house itself. By doing so (at least in theory), they will be set up to allow for audio, video, and broadband all over a single line for each home. I suppose the idea is that each home in the future will have all this available over the equivalent of a phone line. We'll see if it works. There is no doubt that the fiber will hold this, but I get a bit concerned about inside the home. My guess is that it will take a little rewiring, but not sure. There are some areas locally that already have this, and my neighborhood is due to have it done in '07. A friend of mine moved from dsl to fttp locally and loves it. He is not, however, recieving video over that line yet. We'll see.

Sound's complicated. If It's cheaper, I'll try it. But for now Time Warner Cable is the president IMO. Bundle it and you'll save tons.

For what it's worth, I've got one dish on three TVs, including 1 HD box. I couldn't be happier. The digital music is great, the MLB package is too. The DVR feature is also very nice.

Internet is not an issue for me as I use DSL and I hated our local cable company.

For what it's worth, I've got one dish on three TVs, including 1 HD box. I couldn't be happier. The digital music is great, the MLB package is too. The DVR feature is also very nice.

Internet is not an issue for me as I use DSL and I hated our local cable company.

That sounds nice but how much do you pay a month to have all of that? And you shouldn't hate your cable provider until you have used Buckeye Cable...they are the worst! Unless you are already stuck with them.

I agree with Agreen, Time Warner is the bomb! My parents have that and I am jealous everytime I go over to there house...heck I may move closer to them just to be in Time Warner's market...

I have two tv's with the basic channel package and that alone costs me $55 a month. Which doesn't sound that bad except for the fact that it goes out anytime there is a storm coming through or even cloud cover. And one of those times was during the Lost Finale...I was not happy! And if that dish ever gets bumped or something you would have to have it repositioned. (I have not had this problem, but know people that have)

With cable and a cable ready tv all you need is a spliter and you are good to go. No need to run a new line to a new box for an additional monthly fee to have the new box.

I just happen to be a satellite expert(illegial satellite that is.)

First off, for the guy that said his signal goes out every time it's cloudy. Either your signal isn't strong enough or smothign is partially blocking your way. I have mine set up at 96% and I keep signal in a thunderstorm.

Secondly, I have three different TV"s working off of one box, and I can watch different channels on each TV. YOu have to "marry" a remote to your TV from the home box for that to work.

Best part of all for me, I don't have a bill to pay!

First off, for the guy that said his signal goes out every time it's cloudy. Either your signal isn't strong enough or smothign is partially blocking your way. I have mine set up at 96% and I keep signal in a thunderstorm.

Secondly, I have three different TV"s working off of one box, and I can watch different channels on each TV. YOu have to "marry" a remote to your TV from the home box for that to work.

Well, actually I have a clear view of the sky above and my signal is at 90% so I am not sure what the deal would be with that. I hooked up the system so I know it is anchored tight and lined up.

And are there still ways to open up the access cards to gain all the channels? I know back in the day you could do this but wasn't sure if technology caught up to everyone yet or not. (I am only asking cause you said you were the expert (of illegal satellite, that is).

Secondly, how do you marry a remote? I split the line and it runs down to the bsement but I have to watch the same station as up stairs.

Please that would be sweet and really helpful!!

Well, actually I have a clear view of the sky above and my signal is at 90% so I am not sure what the deal would be with that. I hooked up the system so I know it is anchored tight and lined up.

Secondly, how do you marry a remote? I split the line and it runs down to the bsement but I have to watch the same station as up stairs.

Please that would be sweet and really helpful!!

Yeah, I too would like to know what is meant technically by the phrase "marry a remote to your TV from the home box".

Well, I run Dish, not Direct TV/

We haven't been able to program/unlock Direct TV cards for about two years now. I used to do it with a small device called a "looper" Direct TV has stayed ahead of the curve on illegial programming and right now as far as I know you can't pirate Direct TV. However, nerdy programmers everywhere are working on this as we speak.

Here's how my setup currently is. I have 1 Dish network box located in my living room. It is my main box where all my signal comes from. I can pair this box with up to 5 TV's at once. Here's the catch though, you can only "marry" two remotes. To marry your remote, you have to go into your instalation part on your Dish network box. Hold down the SAT button for four seconds(on the second remote, not the first), follow the prompt, then hold down 2(because you want the remote your using to work on a second TV. Then make sure the little chip at the bottom of the remote is switched to 2.

Any other info you want on this process, please PM me, don't put it in this thread

Well, I run Dish, not Direct TV/

We haven't been able to program/unlock Direct TV cards for about two years now. I used to do it with a small device called a "looper" Direct TV has stayed ahead of the curve on illegial programming and right now as far as I know you can't pirate Direct TV. However, nerdy programmers everywhere are working on this as we speak.

Here's how my setup currently is. I have 1 Dish network box located in my living room. It is my main box where all my signal comes from. I can pair this box with up to 5 TV's at once. Here's the catch though, you can only "marry" two remotes. To marry your remote, you have to go into your instalation part on your Dish network box. Hold down the SAT button for four seconds(on the second remote, not the first), follow the prompt, then hold down 2(because you want the remote your using to work on a second TV. Then make sure the little chip at the bottom of the remote is switched to 2.

Any other info you want on this process, please PM me, don't put it in this thread

There is the difference as to why my dish may cut out during storms...DirecTV vs. Dish Network and the satellite postioning, but I would have no clue if that would make a difference. I wish I would have went with them as I originally planned. Bummer!

Thanks for the explanation for the remote "marriage" issue as well. I think I will see what I can do with my set up.

Internet is not an issue for me as I use DSL.

I've dabbled with DSL as well and that too cannot compare to the pure speed a cable modem provides. As far as the internet is concerned, outside of a high dollar T1 line running into your house, there is nothing better!

Internet is not an issue for me as I use DSL.

I've dabbled with DSL as well and that too cannot compare to the pure speed a cable modem provides. As far as the internet is concerned, outside of a high dollar T1 line running into your house, there is nothing better!

Actually, I think the DSL in my area is better than the cable...But I think that is because the cable provider is a joke, well...was a joke. I haven't gave them any of my business for over two years. They may have improved, but I am not willing to give them another try.

• 2 weeks later...