New Bengals fan...teach me!

Chaps

Hey all,

I became a Bengals fan today at about 4:30pm. I am from Canada, and I'm a HUGE fan of the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL...but I decided I needed a team to follow in the NFL during the CFL offseason.

After much consideration...I am now a Bengals fan :)

So first question...what is this "Who Dey" stuff and how did that originate?

And anything else you can tell me about the Bengals is appreciated (how many championships and when, who are our top guys on the team, etc).

I've tried watching the NFL quite a bit and just can't get into it...it doesn't excited me like the CFL does. But I figure if I have a team to follow and care about...then maybe that will change.

Now I just need to buy my first piece of Bengals gear...and it looks like it may the a baby jersey jumper as we're expecting our first child soon!

At risk of falling for a troll's tricks, I shall try and answer your questions. :) Apologies if my suspsicions are unfounded. I'll also move this over to the Introductions forum.

Hey all,

I became a Bengals fan today at about 4:30pm. I am from Canada, and I'm a HUGE fan of the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL...but I decided I needed a team to follow in the NFL during the CFL offseason.

You picked well. :bengal:

It's short for "Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?" I'm not as well versed on the history of the chant as others here, I'll leave that to them.

And anything else you can tell me about the Bengals is appreciated (how many championships and when, who are our top guys on the team, etc).

They were founded by Paul Brown (the man the Cleveland Browns are named for) and got started in 1968. They've yet to win it all, but hopefully that changes soon. :sure:

Top players on the team? The usual names you'll hear are Carson Palmer - quarterback, Chad Johnson - wide receiver, and Rudi Johnson - tail back.

I've tried watching the NFL quite a bit and just can't get into it...it doesn't excited me like the CFL does. But I figure if I have a team to follow and care about...then maybe that will change.

It's worth a shot. :sure: I've never watched a CFL game honestly... The Bengals do have a former CFL player on the roster, Rashad Jeanty. I believe he played for Montreal (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

Now I just need to buy my first piece of Bengals gear...and it looks like it may the a baby jersey jumper as we're expecting our first child soon!

Congrats, the youngin' couldn't get off to a better start than that. B)

At risk of falling for a troll's tricks, I shall try and answer your questions. :) Apologies if my suspsicions are unfounded. I'll also move this over to the Introductions forum.

Hey all,

You picked well. :bengal:

It's short for "Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengals?" I'm not as well versed on the history of the chant as others here, I'll leave that to them.

They were founded by Paul Brown (the man the Cleveland Browns are named for) and got started in 1968. They've yet to win it all, but hopefully that changes soon. :sure:

Top players on the team? The usual names you'll hear are Carson Palmer - quarterback, Chad Johnson - wide receiver, and Rudi Johnson - tail back.

It's worth a shot. :sure: I've never watched a CFL game honestly... The Bengals do have a former CFL player on the roster, Rashad Jeanty. I believe he played for Montreal (anyone correct me if I'm wrong).

Congrats, the youngin' couldn't get off to a better start than that. B)

Thanks for the reply!

And yeah, Rashad Jeanty was in the CFL but played for Edmonton. but he lined up as a lineman.

He starts for the Bengals too right?

I'm familiar with Chad Johnson and Palmer...how does Rudi compare with the average NFL tailback?

Hey all,

Not to mention an obvious genius, full of class, and a man of great taste! Welcome Chaps, you are now in "The 'Zone!" B)

Now what made you pick our Bengals? You dug the stripes, didn't ya?

*whispers something that might well be "Jeanty" into Ox's overly large and somewhat hairy ears.*

Oh yeah........... I GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!

:lol:

No it had nothing to do with Jeanty. Didn't even really know he was here until I looked into the teams website a bit more.

I don't really know how. I think it was a combo of Chad Johnson, team colours, not wanting to pick a #1 team, yet not a loser...and some help from some people on my website. I soon learned that a guy I know is a Ravens fan...so that instantly made it more fun being able to trash talk him :)

If I was to pick my NFL based on my favourite CFLer in the NFL...it wouldn't have been the Bengals. Jeanty was an Edmonton Eskimo...it's nearly a sin for me to even cheer for the Bengals on that fact alone :)

I narrow it down to the Dolphins, Giants, and Bengals. Dolphins are too...I dunno...crappy and not exciting. Giants...I can't stand the Mannings...

Lots of people on my site said Bengals were an exciting team to watch. As a CFL fan, I wanted to pick a team that throws the ball and has an exciting offense...because that's what the CFL is like...lots of passing, fast paced, offensive game. My best chance at liking the NFL was to pick a team that was exciting.

And yes, the stripes are cool :)

• 2 weeks later...

Being a Bengals fans has been very emotional. At times, heartbreaking. Now that Mike Brown, Paul Brown's son, has hired Marvin Lewis as our head coach, things are definitely brightening up. Hopefully my heart won't be broken again for awhile, which pretty much lasted all through the 90's. When I was 5 the Bengals went to the Super Bowl, that was back in 88-89, and haven't really been close since then until last year, when we made it to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. We were put out by our arch rival Pittsburgh in the first round because of an "intentional cheap shot" that I will argue to my dying day. The shot tore Palmer's left Knee all to hell... come to think of it that broke my heart to, I wanted to cry.

Man, I could go on and on. Mainly though, you made a wise choice because this team is going to play in the Super Bowl very soon. So enjoy the ride...

Being a Bengals fans has been very emotional. At times, heartbreaking. Now that Mike Brown, Paul Brown's son, has hired Marvin Lewis as our head coach, things are definitely brightening up. Hopefully my heart won't be broken again for awhile, which pretty much lasted all through the 90's. When I was 5 the Bengals went to the Super Bowl, that was back in 88-89, and haven't really been close since then until last year, when we made it to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. We were put out by our arch rival Pittsburgh in the first round because of an "intentional cheap shot" that I will argue to my dying day. The shot tore Palmer's left Knee all to hell... come to think of it that broke my heart to, I wanted to cry.

Man, I could go on and on. Mainly though, you made a wise choice because this team is going to play in the Super Bowl very soon. So enjoy the ride...

Well it was a good pick for me...cuz my true blood flows with pride for the Saskatchewan Roughriders of the CFL...and they're a heartbreaker team as well.

It's kind of ironic that your fondest memory is being put out by Pittsburg...it's looking like there's a chance of that happening again this year with our final game against the Steelers in a pretty much MUST win situation.