OK, Boys n' Girls, Start Droolin'

HoosierCat

Ol' RW is gettin' pumped up over on bengals.com. From his latest opus, a little peek back at what the Bengals have gotten the last times they've had a boatload of top-four-round picks:

For nearly the first time since Bengals built the Super Bowl team of 1988, they have stockpiled at least six picks in the first four rounds of the NFL Draft.

Friday’s trade for Broncos cornerback Deltha O’Neal also brought the Bengals an extra fourth-round pick, giving them six in the first four rounds for the first time since 1998. In the two previous drafts they did that, 1984 and 1986, they came up with eight starters or key special teamers in Super Bowl XXIII.

Only one draftee from six of the first 105 picks in ’98 is still with the Bengals. Brian Simmons is left from the crop that included fellow linebackers Takeo Spikes and Steve Foley, cornerback Artrell Hawkins, guard Mike Goff and defensive tackle Glen Steele.

But ’84 (six picks in the first 92) and ’86 (eight picks in the first 99) were huge. They chose a franchise quarterback in Boomer Esiason, a Pro Bowl safety in David Fulcher, a 1,000-yard receiver in Tim McGee, and a special teams staple in Stanford Jennings.

Ol' RW is gettin' pumped up over on bengals.com. From his latest opus, a little peek back at what the Bengals have gotten the last times they've had a boatload of top-four-round picks:
For nearly the first time since Bengals built the Super Bowl team of 1988, they have stockpiled at least six picks in the first four rounds of the NFL Draft.

Friday’s trade for Broncos cornerback Deltha O’Neal also brought the Bengals an extra fourth-round pick, giving them six in the first four rounds for the first time since 1998. In the two previous drafts they did that, 1984 and 1986, they came up with eight starters or key special teamers in Super Bowl XXIII.

Only one draftee from six of the first 105 picks in ’98 is still with the Bengals. Brian Simmons is left from the crop that included fellow linebackers Takeo Spikes and Steve Foley, cornerback Artrell Hawkins, guard Mike Goff and defensive tackle Glen Steele.

But ’84 (six picks in the first 92) and ’86 (eight picks in the first 99) were huge. They chose a franchise quarterback in Boomer Esiason, a Pro Bowl safety in David Fulcher, a 1,000-yard receiver in Tim McGee, and a special teams staple in Stanford Jennings.

Does anyone know ????? ( of course someone knows ) who was doing the picking in those days ???? It would have been too late for Paul Brown ...... and while I was following the team and remember a lot about the players and some of the games .... I didn't follow the draft real close. It does prove how bad things have been for so long though doesn't it ?

Somebody was writing that with the latest dump, that Marvin Lewis has gotten rid of 31 of the 53 man roster that was in place when he got here. Amazing isn't it.

Said on one of the other threads that when Chuck Knoll took over the Steelers, he had a meeting with the team and said " I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I've figured out why we aren't winning many games. The bad news is that it's because most of you aren't very good football players and I'm going to have to get rid of you."

I think Marvin puts in a little more diplomatic way .... " we're going to give him an opportunity with someone else " ............ but it pretty much boils down to the same thing. B)

Does anyone know ????? ( of course someone knows ) who was doing the picking in those days ???? It would have been too late for Paul Brown

PB would have still been involved in '84 and '86, right? The Old Man didn't go to the Great Gridiron in the Sky until what, '90 or '91 or was it '92?...I forget...it's been so horrible since...

Said on one of the other threads that when Chuck Knoll took over the Steelers, he had a meeting with the team and said " I've got good news and bad news. The good news is that I've figured out why we aren't winning many games. The bad news is that it's because most of you aren't very good football players and I'm going to have to get rid of you."

Now THERE'S a quote that ought to be written in indelible marker on the Bengals bulletin board. Scary thought is that despite all the changes we probably haven't gotten rid of everyone that needs to go...

Does anyone know ????? ( of course someone knows ) who was doing the picking in those days ???? It would have been too late for Paul Brown

PB would have still been involved in '84 and '86, right? The Old Man didn't go to the Great Gridiron in the Sky until what, '90 or '91 or was it '92?...I forget...it's been so horrible since...

Now THERE'S a quote that ought to be written in indelible marker on the Bengals bulletin board. Scary thought is that despite all the changes we probably haven't gotten rid of everyone that needs to go...

You're right about the passing of PB, but I don't think he was real active with the team those last few years. He'd pretty much turned everything over to mikey ( as he is with Katie now ) ... but I don't think Mike was ever capapble of drafting like that.

I know Walsh was around at that time too, and I'm wondering how much he contributed. He went to Friso shortly thereafter, and we went to hell. Seems kind of coincidental doesn't it??

I'd have to go digging around in the Enquirer archives, but I seem to remember Mikey talking about how he was "a part" of the drafts that built the Super Bowl clubs (all in terms of justifying his alleged football credentials) but the clear implication was that Paul Brown played at least as large, if not a larger, role. Off the top of my head I don't know what role Walsh might have played (though it's a matter of record that the "West Coast Offense" he is famed for ought to be better known as the "Paul Brown Cincinnati Offense." :P ) Damn, but this team actually had its $hit together once, didn't it? B) Maybe...just maybe...it's finally coming together again. RW seems to think so...

O’Neal’s eyes grew wide when told the Bengals hadn’t made the playoffs since 1990, knowing they had a chance to make it on the final Sunday this past season.

“If they did that in his first year,” O’Neal said, “I can only imagine what we’re going to do the next five or six years.”

From Deltha's mouth to the deity of your choice's ears...

Yes and Paul Brown died in '91. - Then we were cursed to have his ignorant son take over.

Quote from Espn's Chris Berman on NFL NETWORKS " How They Were Built" - AFC North.

" I have to think that the worst thing to ever happen to the Bengals was the day they fired Dave Shula. Mike Brown walked up to the podium and said, "Dave Shula did everything we asked him too " CB- He did everything we asked him too..?? the Guy was 19 - 52 ? If that's what you asked him to do , then the Bengals Fans had to have been thinking " What the Hell is going on here ? "

Hopefully you guys will catch the rebroadcast on NFL Network. The show was called "How they were Built " the AFC North .. a must watch for Bengals fans.