Playoff Possiblities and Scenarios

schnarfer

Things are looking good ofr us. I expected Denver to fall but Denver, KC and the Jets losing will be just great for us. As long as we take care of business, we are going to see our playoff run.

ON the other hand, with all of them losing, they might let the Steelers back into contention. Would make our last game of the year very interesting if we are both playing for playoff hopes. Who better to send the Steelers home than us?

The idea of the Steelers getting back into it is pretty far-fetched, IMHO. The Jets will easily finish better than them; I'm not worried about the Jets in the WC race, Im worried that they could capture the division title and drop the Pats with their win over us into the WC picture. If you look at the Pats' sked you can see them losing 2 of their last 3 (they host Houston, then play at Jax and at Tenn) and finishing 10-6 overall, 4-2 in the AFCE. If the Jets beat Buffalo, Miami in 2 weeks, and either Minny or Oakland, they'd finish 10-6 and 5-1 in the AFCE.

Same deal with SD, but it looks like they will win today and clinch the division, so the chance they could fall into the WC picture will be over.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cincy has given themselves a chance. . but each of the last 3 games could go either way. Denver will lose to San Diego, so at least Cincy will control their own destiny. .

If you go back four weeks at the beginning of this thread, all we were hoping for was an 8-5 record at this point. Controlling their own destiny is all we asked for too.

Great job by the staff and players for not quiting. I know I gave them up for dead after the SD game. Let's keep it rolling now.

Things are looking good ofr us. I expected Denver to fall but Denver, KC and the Jets losing will be just great for us. As long as we take care of business, we are going to see our playoff run.

ON the other hand, with all of them losing, they might let the Steelers back into contention. Would make our last game of the year very interesting if we are both playing for playoff hopes. Who better to send the Steelers home than us?

The idea of the Steelers getting back into it is pretty far-fetched, IMHO. The Jets will easily finish better than them; I'm not worried about the Jets in the WC race, Im worried that they could capture the division title and drop the Pats with their win over us into the WC picture. If you look at the Pats' sked you can see them losing 2 of their last 3 (they host Houston, then play at Jax and at Tenn) and finishing 10-6 overall, 4-2 in the AFCE. If the Jets beat Buffalo, Miami in 2 weeks, and either Minny or Oakland, they'd finish 10-6 and 5-1 in the AFCE.

Same deal with SD, but it looks like they will win today and clinch the division, so the chance they could fall into the WC picture will be over.

Oh I agree wholeheartedly, and I can very much see the Pats losing two, but as long as we take care of business, nothing else matters. We control our own destiny and we can keep it that way with a solid dose of Rudi to the Colts and a good game against the Broncos. 11-5? It's more likely than we think. I thought we'd go 10-6, as many others speculated, and it looks like we'll do just that. Man are our next few games the biggest of the season or what? This is why I love football. On a side note, I see Salisbury changed his pick from oak to the Bengals. Probably switched it half-way through the third quarter!

There will surely be at least one WC in the AFC with 10 wins, maybe both. Looking at schedules, etc, I doubt any WC gets 11 wins. Either two at 10-6 or one at 10-6 and the other at 9-7.

This means that if we win 2 of last 3, we are in. Win only 1, and we still have the upperhand, but too many question marks for comfort. Bottom line for the Bengals is to win AT LEAST one of the two remaining road games. I prefer that to be next Monday! All I want for Christmas is to know we have at least 9 wins.

Jets loss today was absolutely HUGE in terms of help for our playoff run. Almost zero chance of them running down NE now, and in that puppy pile behind Cincy and Jax. Lovely outcomes, across the board.

Now get to sit back and root against teams next Sunday while waiting for the Monday night game. By the way, that Jax game in TN is no longer a pushover, to say the least. Not to mention the Titans will be pissed off and looking for payback after what Jax did to them six weeks ago.

Buffalo is going to shake things up the rest of the season. They are a dangerous team and I see them winning out INCLUDING a win against Baltimore the last game of the season, which I dare say might be what we need to win the division!?!?!?!? It's a long shot tho..........

Make that Buffalo, Tenn, and Miami all play big roles in how the playoffs turn out. Even though none of them have a prayer to make it they have been playing good football as of late and each play atleast 2 playoff contenders in the last couple of weeks.

Buffalo is going to shake things up the rest of the season. They are a dangerous team and I see them winning out INCLUDING a win against Baltimore the last game of the season, which I dare say might be what we need to win the division!?!?!?!? It's a long shot tho..........

Make that Buffalo, Tenn, and Miami all play big roles in how the playoffs turn out. Even though none of them have a prayer to make it they have been playing good football as of late and each play atleast 2 playoff contenders in the last couple of weeks.

we would need to win out, which is possible, but we would need pitt or cleveland to pull up an upset i dont see happening.

Too long, I think. We needed KC to win today to have any realistic shot at the north crown. That didn't happen -- but at least we get the consolation prize of a 7-6 Chiefs team.

And, like we all guessed three weeks ago, the game in Denver will be crucial. Win that, and we should be in good shape regardless of what happens next week in Indy. Lose that, and we are likely out of the playoffs. Nice little Christmas Eve stresser, to say the least.

Still, this run has been fun, and it's nice to have December meaningful for the third straight year under Marvin.

Now get to sit back and root against teams next Sunday while waiting for the Monday night game. By the way, that Jax game in TN is no longer a pushover, to say the least. Not to mention the Titans will be pissed off and looking for payback after what Jax did to them six weeks ago.

I think Jeff Fisher's got them believing they have a real shot at a playoff spot. And the way they've been playing, I think they might be one of the top 6 teams in the AFC right now.

Also can someone tell the real answer here. The Ravens did not clinch the division title today did they? Allen Cutler kept saying that the Ravens won the North with their win over KC today.

How can that be if there are three games left and they only have two game lead? Someone please tell me I am right.

I think Jeff Fisher's got them believing they have a real shot at a playoff spot. And the way they've been playing, I think they might be one of the top 6 teams in the AFC right now.

Also can someone tell the real answer here. The Ravens did not clinch the division title today did they? Allen Cutler kept saying that the Ravens won the North with their win over KC today.

How can that be if there are three games left and they only have two game lead? Someone please tell me I am right.

i think if they lose all three they become 10-6 with a 3-3 record in the afc n while say we win out it would put us at 11-5 and then we would win, and even if we both finish 10-6 i think we win cause we would be at least 4-2 in the afc n. so i think the cut man is off his rocker. :lol:

Games to watch, Week 15 edition:

Cleveland @ Baltimore: Browns ought to just forfeit and save the travel expenses. Ravens can host a big fan party at the stadium instead. No help for Cincy here. Ravens.

Houston @ New England: Houston has been hanging in games lately, and NE barely squeaked by Chicago and Detroit before getting shut out today in Miami. Houston in an upset, another result that doesn't help.

Jacksonville @ Tennessee: Tennessee is on a roll and the up-and-down Jags are due for a trough. Bengals get some help from Vince Young. Titans.

NY Jets @ Minnesota: Desperate Jets go into Minnesota; Vikes are just .500 at home this year and are 0-3 vs. the AFC East. After next Sunday they will be 0-4. Jets regain some altitude.

Denver @ Arizona: Game will be dubbed "Jay Cutler's coming out party" as the Broncos steamroll the Cards. Broncos get a big win ahead of the duel with Cincy.

Kansas City @ San Diego: With their playoff hopes on life support, KC will bring everything it has. It won't be enough. Chargers.

Cincinnati @ Indianapolis: Indy hasnt been able to fix its D in years, it won't fix it in seven days. Colts will put up some points, our D isn't like the Jaguars', but in the end Cincy rides Rudi to victory. Bengals

Nice rundown, hoosier, but even as off as the Pats are right now, I cannot imagine them following up the shutout beatdown they just took with a home loss to the Texans. Give that one to NE as they close out their division...

Nice rundown, hoosier, but even as off as the Pats are right now, I cannot imagine them following up the shutout beatdown they just took with a home loss to the Texans. Give that one to NE as they close out their division...

I hope you're right. I just have zero confidence in the Pats right now.

Jeez-us! Julius Jones just scampered 77 yards for a TD. Pretty run. Longest of his career.

i think if they lose all three they become 10-6 with a 3-3 record in the afc n while say we win out it would put us at 11-5 and then we would win, and even if we both finish 10-6 i think we win cause we would be at least 4-2 in the afc n. so i think the cut man is off his rocker. :lol:

I thought he was off his rocker. :lol: But I think he said it a couple of different times but I know it wasn't possible yet.

Also I think the Chargers just clinced the AFC West. I hope there is no letdown for them next week. They should be hoping for some help from Cincinnati as they try to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Another interesting thought is that the Bengals will have played most of the front-runners in the AFC except for the Jets and Jacksonville and we played them last year. So if they do make it, I think that might be a big advantage in the playoffs.

Also I think the Chargers just clinced the AFC West. I hope there is no letdown for them next week. They should be hoping for some help from Cincinnati as they try to get home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

Yup, SD clinched. I don't think there will be a letdown next week, tho, not with both Indy and Balti at 10-3 and the Ravens virtually assured of a win vs. the Clowns. KC, meanwhile, looks like it's just run out of steam.

what else is new another BUNGAL getting arrested. Marvin has no control of the team.

cincy bunghole fans real facts:

superbowls=0

total seasons in the NFL=38

winning ones including this season 11

LOSING = 27

Playoff record 5-8

record against the steelers 30-42

Steelers- most superbowls in the NFL

Playoff record 28-18

I will take a 6-7 record every year after winning superbowl number 5

so really your record is 11-27 with winning and losing seasons congrats