Playoff Possiblities and Scenarios

schnarfer

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes... it's mathematically possible. But I stand by my claim "we have no shot at a bye week"

Well, "no" shot is technically incorrect, since we do in fact have a shot. Something along the lines of an "impossible shot" I agree with. But its been an absolutely goofy year in the league.

Why does this feel like the scene in Dumb and Dumber:

Lloyd: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

Mary: Not good.

Lloyd: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

Mary: I'd say more like one out of a million.

[pause]

Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance!

If Carson can throw for almost 300 yards against the 3rd ranked Defense in the league against the pass...

Ahem, Oakland was #3 Defense OVERALL, #1 vs the pass. Just FYI. :D

Minus the Three picks would have been nice, though. :P

Warren Sapp said they were unable to stop or disrupt anything the Bengals were doing yesterday. One of the DB's also said they have not seen a team like this all year and that's from a guy that plays SD, KC and Denver twice a year.

That is what I mean about how good the Bengals' are/can be - underrated by their own homer fans even!

I watched the Saints dismantle the Cowboys Sunday night, and the Ravens handle KC without much of a problem on KC's home field - and couldn't help but to think how the Bengals' handled those two teams fairly easily (despite the close score of the Ravens game - those idiots barely got past the 50 with that offense the entire game).

How soon we forget how the Bengals' went down to NO's and pretty much handed the Saints' their own asses and barely broke a sweat, despite giving up a bunch of passing yards - the game wasn't really close.

This team needs to play like that every week.

That is what I mean about how good the Bengals' are/can be - underrated by their own homer fans even!

I watched the Saints dismantle the Cowboys Sunday night, and the Ravens handle KC without much of a problem on KC's home field - and couldn't help but to think how the Bengals' handled those two teams fairly easily (despite the close score of the Ravens game - those idiots barely got past the 50 with that offense the entire game).

How soon we forget how the Bengals' went down to NO's and pretty much handed the Saints' their own asses and barely broke a sweat, despite giving up a bunch of passing yards - the game wasn't really close.

This team needs to play like that every week.

I have to agree Shula... but your last statement is kind of the problem this season. As bad as we were playing for that 6 game stretch, we were only blown out once by the Patriots. In every single other game, we had a chance at the end. As you put it... had we been playing as well as we have the last 4 weeks, we very well might be undefeated. But it is that inconsistency that has hurt our team.

If we play like we have the last 4 weeks the rest of the season, I think we'll win the Super Bowl. I honestly believe that when we play as well as we have been, there isn't a team in the NFL that is our rival. We just haven't shown that type of consistency... and week to week, some of us worry about which team will show up on a given Sunday.

We didn't really play that well last week... but we were playing the Raiders. We're going to have to play like we did against Baltimore and New Orleans to beat the Colts this week. I know we're capable... but there has been a consistent "but" after that statement all year long.

I realize there are still three weeks to the season left and anything can happen, but here are the scenarios, I think...

Cincy wins out --

Cincy will have at least the #5 seed

If Jax wins out, Cincy will still be #5 on tie-breaker (better conf record)

Cincy wins 2 out of 3 (with victory at Denver) --

If Jax wins out, Jax is the #5 seed

If Jax wins 2 of 3, Cincy has tie-breaker (better conf record)

If KC wins out, Cincy has tie-breaker (head-to-head win)

If Jets win out, Cincy has tie-breaker (better conf record)

Denver will have worse record than Cincy

Cincy wins 2 out of 3 (with loss at Denver) --

If Jax wins out, Jax is the #5 seed

If Jax wins 2 of 3, Cincy has tie-breaker (better conf record)

If KC wins out, Cincy has tie-breaker (head-to-head win)

If Jets win out, Cincy has tie-breaker (better conf record)

If Denver wins out, Denver has tie-breaker (head-to-head win)

If Denver wins 2 of 3, Denver will have worse record than Cincy

The only way that Cincy will not be in the playoffs with two wins in the next three games is if the one Cincy loss comes at Denver, Jax runs the table and Denver runs the table.

In short, JUST WIN! and everything will be okay. B)

The only way that Cincy will not be in the playoffs with two wins in the next three games is if the one Cincy loss comes at Denver, Jax runs the table and Denver runs the table.

It's much more likely that we make the playoffs than miss them at this point. And considering that a few weeks ago just about everyone thought we'd have to win out just to have a shot... that's saying a lot. We even have a little margin for error now - and with the way we're playing, we might not need it. (It's still nice to have though).

I do want that #5 seed though. It would delay a game with San Diego - the only team that I think would beat Cincy if both teams were on their game.

We just haven't shown that type of consistency... and week to week, some of us worry about which team will show up on a given Sunday.

I have to say, I haven't really seem that classic Bengals inconsistency this year. By which I mean the team's historic habit of looking like world-beaters one week and the Bungles the next, for no apparent reason at all.

What I have seen is an inconsistency that can be largely linked to injuries. The offense has struggled with a constantly changing o-line, while the defense has seen an equaly ad hoc linebacking corps. The difference over the last few weeks, IMHO, is that the crazy pace of injuries earlier in the year has slowed down. The o-line has stabilized, Caleb Miller has settled in at MLB and Jeanty on the strong side, and Simmons is getting back from injury (and Jackson has stayed healthy to boot). In hindsight, Chris Henry's suspension also hurt badly early on; his getting back on the field also boosted the O.

I will be very surprised if the Bengals fail to bring their A game Monday night.

We just haven't shown that type of consistency... and week to week, some of us worry about which team will show up on a given Sunday.

I have to say, I haven't really seem that classic Bengals inconsistency this year. By which I mean the team's historic habit of looking like world-beaters one week and the Bungles the next, for no apparent reason at all.

What I have seen is an inconsistency that can be largely linked to injuries.

Fair point. Hope you're right. The injury bug can't hit us much worse than it already has... and the O-line looks like it has made a decision to function well, regardless of who is in there.

The injuries on the D still concern me though. Our depth is hurting. If the defense we have right now stays healthy, we might make a run. But if a Caleb Miller or Dexter Jackson go down around playoff time - it'll probably be over. We've lost too many guys for the season to be able to absorb any more losses like that.

Guys seem to have settled into their roles right now... so if we can stay healthy, nobody's going to look forward to playing us. Perhaps this is the D I was hoping for and expecting at the beginning of the season? Hmm... I'll reserve my judgment on that until next Tuesday morning.

On the assumption we do make the playoffs - who would you prefer to face at their field in round 1?

I'd prefer the Patriots the way they are playing at the moment. The 5 seed *should* get us the Patriots as things stand

I dunno. I agree the Pats look like the weakest contender right now...but they did beat the crap out of us at PBS. And yeah, injuries played a big role there, but still, the Pats have seemed to have the Bengals' number the last couple times. The Ravens? I'm pretty comfortable with them. Don't turn over the ball, and we win. Simple as that.

IF we win Monday night and IF the Colts keep stumbing and IF Jax keeps winning there is a chance that Indy could fall into the 3rd or 4th seed, too. While I like the Bengals chances next Monday, I think I still take Baltimore or NE over them.

On the assumption we do make the playoffs - who would you prefer to face at their field in round 1?

I'd prefer the Patriots the way they are playing at the moment. The 5 seed *should* get us the Patriots as things stand

I dunno. I agree the Pats look like the weakest contender right now...but they did beat the crap out of us at PBS. And yeah, injuries played a big role there, but still, the Pats have seemed to have the Bengals' number the last couple times. The Ravens? I'm pretty comfortable with them. Don't turn over the ball, and we win. Simple as that.

IF we win Monday night and IF the Colts keep stumbing and IF Jax keeps winning there is a chance that Indy could fall into the 3rd or 4th seed, too. While I like the Bengals chances next Monday, I think I still take Baltimore or NE over them.

Jax was saying the same thing last year too. They were 12-4 and NE was like 10-6 and NE thumped 'em in NE Granted this NE team is not last year's nor are we Jax. ;)

:bengal:

Bring on whomever.

I think the serious answer is the Seahawks.

The Saints I don't fear cause we know how to beat them and we did not play particularly well defensively with the exception of creating turnovers, in that game. I think we would play much better now.

Seattle scares me because Alexander is the kind of back that we "characteristically" have problems with and they have shown the ability to play stiff, opportunistic defense at times, to me that is a scary combination.

But having said that, you asked what team? Honestly, playing the way we are, none of the NFC really scare me at this point. You have a point about the Saints, because they have the only offense that could realistically keep up with our offense.

It's much more likely that we make the playoffs than miss them at this point. And considering that a few weeks ago just about everyone thought we'd have to win out just to have a shot... that's saying a lot. We even have a little margin for error now - and with the way we're playing, we might not need it. (It's still nice to have though).

I do want that #5 seed though. It would delay a game with San Diego - the only team that I think would beat Cincy if both teams were on their game.

Even if we're the 5 seed, the Bengals will be playing at #1 in the second round unless the other wild card wins also. In the NFL it's always lowest remaining seed at highest seed in the second round.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Bengals chances if they had to play the Chargers in San Diego in the playoffs

Are you a San Diego Troll?

Are you kidding?

We were pasting them 28-7 at the half, all we have to do is play half again the defense and we would win, even if it is 42-38 or something like that.

Don't you remember that Chris Henry DROPPED the FRIGGIN TOUCHDOWNPASS that would have given them a chance to tie the game in the final minute?

All we need is a minor semblance of defense that we have been playing recently.

We can beat anybody, San Diego included. Oh, and the last time I checked, we had a BETTER road record than a home record. I want to be on the road in the playoffs, thank you very much. Especially vs the tough teams.

Payback's a bitch.

I wouldn't be too optimistic about the Bengals chances if they had to play the Chargers in San Diego in the playoffs

Are you kidding?

We were pasting them 28-7 at the half, all we have to do is play half again the defense and we would win, even if it is 42-38 or something like that.

Don't you remember that Chris Henry DROPPED the FRIGGIN TOUCHDOWNPASS that would have given them a chance to tie the game in the final minute?

All we need is a minor semblance of defense that we have been playing recently.

We can beat anybody, San Diego included. Oh, and the last time I checked, we had a BETTER road record than a home record. I want to be on the road in the playoffs, thank you very much. Especially vs the tough teams.

Payback's a bitch.

First off don't be an A$$hat and call me any kind of Troll. Second of all my opinion is based on real life and not blind homerism. San Diego had enough heart to come back from that deficit IN Cincy and beat the Bengals. On any football site you will see San Diego listed as the hottest team in the NFL. Cincy also played San Diego without San Diego's best defensive player in Merriman. So just shut up, sit down, and next time you want to call someone a name and shoot down their opinion come back with some facts and not some drool and dribble.

:sure:

P.S. Cincy is only better on the road than at home by one loss. 4-2 on the road and 4-3 at home. San Diego is 6-0 at home this year.

Spor-tees hath aroused the wrath of The Homer! :lol:

:jerry::jerry::jerry:

Yeah, as if being a Homer is a negative thing on a message board.

You guys are both right. Cincinnati can win that game if they play to the level they have been, but at the same time, I think the smart money is on San Diego. Still not sure how you think you're able to stop Tomlinson...but hey, the Bengals rash of recent "success" seems to make them a favorite to do anything! Stranger things have happened.

First off don't be an A$$hat and call me any kind of Troll. Second of all my opinion is based on real life and not blind homerism. San Diego had enough heart to come back from that deficit IN Cincy and beat the Bengals. On any football site you will see San Diego listed as the hottest team in the NFL. Cincy also played San Diego without San Diego's best defensive player in Merriman. So just shut up, sit down, and next time you want to call someone a name and shoot down their opinion come back with some facts and not some drool and dribble.

:huh:

Okay, I'll play. TROLL! There, NOW I ACTUALLY CALLED YOU A TROLL. THE FIRST TIME IT WAS A QUESTION. ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SAY YES, OR NO.

:P

I BELIEVE YOU STARTED THE NAME-CALLING WITH THE a**h*** COMMENT. <_<

AS TO THE BLIND HOMERISM? DID YOU SLEEP THROUGH THE PAST SEVERAL WEEKS AND JUST EMERGE FROM A COMA? :blink:

CHECK MY SIG. :sure:

I THINK THAT ALL THE FACTS I PUT IN WERE , WELL FACTS. CH DID DROP A TD PASS. CINCY WAS PASTING SD 28-7 AT THE HALF. WE DO HAVE A BETTER ROAD RECORD THAN HOME RECORD. :yes:

OR DID YOU WANT TO CONTEND THAT THOSE THINGS ARE NOT FACTS?

As for San Diego, If you want to crown them, then crown their ass. :king:

:lmao:

:clap: