Playoff Possiblities and Scenarios

schnarfer

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we win out?

Nothing I've seen so far this season suggests that the answer to that question is, yes. Today's W was both nice and needed to keep any hope alive, but this team is still too beat up, IMHO. to be a real postseason threat.

or will 10-6 or 9-7 let us in the last spot?

No way 9-7 gets us a spot. 10-6 probably does.

I think that we can go, 10-6 or 11-5.

The "Homer" in me dearly wants to believe that, but it won't be easy. Winning today on the road in New Orleans was a great first step. The offense definitely started to come alive last week in the Chargers game, and continued with that this week, which is a positive thing. The negative, as usual, is the defense. Giving up 500+ yards passing is absolutely HORRID! That said...a win is a win, and I'll take it.

Now next week the Bengals have to go into Cleveland who will play us just as tough as they did the Steelers. DO NOT take them for granted! :angry:

Early returns on Sunday suggest that the Bengals (5-5) still face an uphill battle to secure that second Wild Card spot. This is assuming that one of the two Wild Card spots will go to the loser of the AFC West, which is either Denver (7-2) and San Diego (7-2) who play this evening.

Other suspects include the Jets, Chiefs and Jaguars.

The Jets lost to the Bears 10-0 in New Jersey and are 5-5.

The Chiefs came from behind to defeat the Raiders 17-13 and are 6-4. The Bengals hold the head-to-head tiebreaker with the Chiefs with the Week 1 win in KC.

Jacksonville (5-4) hosts the banged up Giants tomorrow evening. A loss would certainly help the Bengals cause.

The Bengals are 3-3 in the AFC which is the next tiebreaker after head-to-head play. The Jets are 4-4, the Chiefs are 2-4 and the Jags are 3-3.

How the remaining schedule stacks up...Jets have the inside track...

JETS

Houston 3-7

@ Green Bay 4-6

Buffalo 4-6

@ Minnesota 4-6

@ Miami 4-6

@ Oakland 2-8

21-39 (.362)

CINCINNATI

@ Cleveland 3-7

Baltimore 8-2

Oakland 2-8

@ Indianapolis 9-1

@ Denver 7-2

Pittsburgh 4-6

33-26 (.559)

JAGUARS

NY Giants (tomorrow) 6-3

@ Buffalo 4-6

@ Miami 4-6

Indianapolis 9-1

@ Tennessee 3-7

New England 7-3

@ Kansas City 6-4

39-30 (.565)

KANSAS CITY

Denver 7-2

@ Cleveland 3-7

Baltimore 8-2

@ San Diego 7-2

@ Oakland 2-8

Jacksonville 5-4

32-25 (.561)

We certainly CAN, the real question is WILL we?

I tend to be in agreement that 10-6 will get the final WC spot. The question is if we are 10-6 do we win the tiebreakers with all the other 10-6 teams?

I firmly believe that we just simply have to take care of business and go 11-5 so we do not leave anything in doubt.

:bengal:

I was thinking that we should be pulling for SD to beat Denver tonight since we lost to SD and still have to play Denver. We could possibly end up tied with Denver and if we beat them then we would own the tie-breaker. But watching both of these teams shows me that they are two very complete teams and are a notch above us. San Diego outplayed us last week and I think that Denver is better than SD.

I think that maybe if Denver wins their division and has it locked up before we head out there in December that we might have a chance.

Yeah, Jets have the "easiest" schedule on paper but they are not playing very well on the road and are facing some teams that are getting better and are growing. Plus they are under a 1st year coach...

We will get it done!

I'd love to see Houston knock off the Jets and I hope that Denver plays against KC like they are playing tonight.

The Jets look to have the easiest schedule... but most of the teams they play are getting better right now. Miami is playing much better, and Buffalo and Green Bay aren't gimme's either. But they do have the easiest road.

If we want the playoffs, the Baltimore and Pittsburgh games are must wins... and we have to win either the Indy or Denver game (maybe both). We can't afford any more losses to teams we should beat. We've wasted them all early... so we need to play lights out.

Luckily we're not the only team with a tough schedule left. The Chiefs and Jags both have pretty brutal schedules coming up as well. NYJ might get theo ther Wild Card by default.

Also... even though I have officially given up on winning the division - if Pittsburgh could manage a victory against Baltimore this week (they almost always split), and then we beat them, we're only one game out. Just food for thought.

Also... even though I have officially given up on winning the division - if Pittsburgh could manage a victory against Baltimore this week (they almost always split), and then we beat them, we're only one game out. Just food for thought.

Excellent point. Although it will be hard to pull for the Steelers. :lol:

Also Denver got rolled in the second half last night and are now 7-3 and in second place in the West.

Their remaining schedule is as follows:

11/23 at KC (6-4)

12/03 vs. Seattle (6-4)

12/10 at San Diego (8-2)

12/17 at Arizona (2-8)

12/24 vs. Bengals (5-5)

12/31 vs. SF (5-5)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2668613

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/playoffrace

Seed Team Record

1 Indianapolis 9-1

2 Baltimore 8-2

3 San Diego 8-2

4 New England 7-3

5 Denver 7-3

6 Jacksonville 6-4

7 Kansas City 6-4

8 Cincinnati 5-5

9 N.Y. Jets 5-5

10 Pittsburgh 4-6

11 Buffalo 4-6

12 Miami 4-6

13 Cleveland 3-7

14 Tennessee 3-7

15 Houston 3-7

16 Oakland 2-8

Lets go Giants! (Well, so much for that idea.) Jax win switches places with KC and Jax...

I'm telling you, We win the next 2 and Baltimore loses. We're 1 game behind at that point! If that happens, who do we want to win between Baltimore and KC the following week? KC wins, they are probably ahead of us in the wild but we're tied for div. If Baltimore wins, we're ahead in the wildcard but Baltimore is winning the Div... I think I'll be hoping for KC to beat Baltimore...

Can we win out? or will 10-6 or 9-7 let us in the last spot?

With their ridiculous remaining schedule, you must assume the Jets will put up at least 10 wins.

I'm not sure the Broncos will (tough schedule) this is our real competition for the 2nd wild card. But they only need three wins for 10-6.

Jacksonville is as hurt as we are. Not a threat.

We must operate on the assumption we need at least 10 wins and 1 of them must be at Denver.

We would have to play out of our gourds to beat Indy at their place so otherwise we must run the table.

The def giving up almost 600 yards a game

The defense is not giving up 600 yards a game. It's averaging about 377 -- far from satisfactory, but also not far off last year.

The Bengals are on course to give up, for the season, about 500 more yards through the air (or about 31 more yards a game) and about 120 yards more rushing (about 8 more a game) versus last season. The extra aerial yardage can be attributed totally to the falloff in last season's crazy interception numbers. They've been better against the run lately and that gap will likely close.

Notably, the Benals right now are ranked exactly the same in terms of average yards allowed per pass play and per run as they finished in 2005: 29th and 27th respectively.

the off. better not skip a beat

No, it better not. But that's the point: minus the picks, this is virtually the same defense we had last year, and we went 11-5. We are where we are because the offense has taken the better part of half a season to get in gear.

The Bengals are what they are. Injuries have blown away all our hopes of an improved defense. We will go as far as the offense will take us.

The next 3 we should definitely win. Let's just get through 1 game at a time, who knows what will happen these next few weeks. We're getting to the longest part of the season now and every team is going to be playing better football. Who knows, Baltimore could lose 4 out of their next 5 games. It is Baltimore you know, their not really that good of a team.