Marvin's fan approval rating

agreen_112

I of course voted yes. Marv's turned this team around 180 degrees! I can't believe that many people don't like what he's doing here in the Nati...

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/nfl/sportsna...oach?coachId=18

move this over the The Bengals talk please, accidentally posted in the wrong section....

People are fickle and forget how crappy things were 5 years ago. And 10 years ago. And 15 years ago. Three straight non-losing seasons is the first for Cincinnati since...88-90. Four straight would be the first time in 30 years. So yeah, let's get rid of him.

That said, I'd question on what time scale some people consider the question to be asked. If you mean, do I generally approve of the direction that Marvin's taking the franchise?, then of course I say yes. If you mean, do I think we had a good game plan going into last week?, then I dunno. If you mean, do I like the way Cincinnati has been portrayed by the current team?, then it's kind of mixed - I like not being losers, but I don't like being seen as supporting criminals. So I think the question is kind of vague.

I still voted yes, of course.

The poll is absolutely meaningless. The majority are voting purely off of wins and loses rather than overall direction. How else can an approval rating drop from 90% all the way to 58% from a 2-point loss to one of the best teams in the NFC?

All the Steeler fans that hate the Bengals. 'Course they don't get it right? I voted that I APPROVED of Cowher's coaching every week they lose and disapprove every week they WIN! :lmao:

:lol:

When Marvin builds a defense that's not finishing 25th-30th in the league every year, maybe people have more faith on a consistent basis.

8-8 doesn't mean anything to me at this point. It might've 2-3 years ago.

This is what is "expected" of Marvin - competency should not be confused for greatness.

And I'd argue that without drafting Palmer, and considering the terrible defenses since Marv's been here, that he'd be fighting for his job/credibility at this point - his fault ultimately or not.

The Brown family still runs things here - Marvin is a willing fall guy trying to either create a comfy situation for himself long term as a HC - or gaining enough experience to move onto to bigger and better things if he gets frustrated enough with the Brown family.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised to see him resign quietly at some point down the road if things don't go his way here, for whatever reason.

When Marvin builds a defense that's not finishing 25th-30th in the league every year, maybe people have more faith on a consistent basis.

That should have happened already. Inexcusable for a former defensive coordinator IMHO. <_<

People are fickle and forget how crappy things were 5 years ago. And 10 years ago. And 15 years ago. Three straight non-losing seasons is the first for Cincinnati since...88-90. Four straight would be the first time in 30 years. So yeah, let's get rid of him.

Yea, but don't you think we're past bringing that up now?

This is what is "expected" of Marvin - competency should not be confused for greatness.

And I'd argue that without drafting Palmer, and considering the terrible defenses since Marv's been here, that he'd be fighting for his job/credibility at this point - his fault ultimately or not.

The Brown family still runs things here - Marvin is a willing fall guy trying to either create a comfy situation for himself long term as a HC - or gaining enough experience to move onto to bigger and better things if he gets frustrated enough with the Brown family.

In fact I wouldn't be suprised to see him resign quietly at some point down the road if things don't go his way here, for whatever reason.

Now I know your glass is half empty

Ratbirds fans don't have faith in Billick after a loss, so what makes you think that a better defense will do anything about that? (Billick's approval rating on that stupid ESPN poll dipped to 43% a couple weeks ago after their lose to Carolina.) As I said before, the poll is absolutely meaningless.

Now I know your glass is half empty

Well being "positive just to be positive" serves no purpose whatsoever on a message board.

Bottom line at this point is all that matters to me - 4th year and still not a single playoff win.

Marvin had his 2 year honeymoon - he's on track and improving the team on the field, I'm good with that and him generally speaking - not complaining necessarily - but I'm not "satisfied" with any HC until they take the great talent on this team and make them an annual playoff team for a few years at least.

I think anything less is disappointing and a failure. Not everyone gets a chance to have a Carson Palmer - better cash-in while you can, and get someone who can protect him for Christ's sake!!

Marvin had his 2 year honeymoon - he's on track and improving the team on the field, I'm good with that and him generally speaking - not complaining necessarily - but I'm not "satisfied" with any HC until they take the great talent on this team and make them an annual playoff team for a few years at least.

Are you suggesting this may be Marvin's "Make It Or Break It" season in Cincinnati? Living here in Arizona I feel Dennis Green has screwed his pooch with the Cardinals, and likely won't be back next season. Might Marvin be playing the same game, only holding a few better cards in his hand before the "flop?"

*Note to self: Take a break from watching the World Series Of Poker telecasts! :lol:

Marvin just took the Bengals to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years. Was I dreaming? That did happen, right?

Pulse check: The Bengals are currently defending their division championship, and are one game out of 1st place. Yet it seems like half of the Bengal's fanbase is now standing on a high ledge looking over the edge for a soft place to fall. And if that level of frustration over a team that that is one game out with nine to play isn't an indicator of how much things have changed for this franchise then I don't know what it.

Oh that Marvin, he's soooooooooo dreamy.

Regarding the defense, here are some numbers...

Yards/Game: 21st

Rush Yards/Game: 25th

Pass Yards/Game: 17th

Points/Game: 12th

Yards/Point Allowed: 9th

Def. Passer Rating: 15th

So, what does it all mean? I sure don't know. Looking at some numbers, they definitely aren't a top 15 defense. Looking at other numbers, they seem to be right on the edge of being in the top 15. So where are they really? I dunno. None of us really know. They are somewhere in the middle of the pack, but exactly where they are will vary week to week. There's more to measuring a defense than just yards/game.

Even the colts missed the playoffs in 2001 after going 13-3 the previous year. Every good team has a blip or two along the way. Yes, we're 4-3 and that's not exactly where we want to be. Yes, the Ravens game is a must win. Even if we don't do as well as we would've hoped this year, I'm confident we're building the foundations for a dynasty and/or a serious run to the Super Bowl. Stay the course, IMO.