25. Marcus Thomas DT Florida - Falcons

26. Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss - Jags

27. Paul Posluszny LB Penn State - Eagles

28. Tank Tyler DT North Carolina State - Colts

29. Justin Blalock G/T Texas - Bears

30. Brandon Siler LB Florida - Chargers

31. Michael Griffin S Texas - Panthers

32. LaMarr Woodley DE/SSLB Michigan - Bengals

I think Russell would be a very good pick, but I don't expect his stock to rise so much as to put him #1 overall. If he can flash that flick-it-65-yards armstrength with some acurracy, then it could happen. I think the Brady Quinn/Troy Smith love affair in the media might carry all the way into the upper first round though, ahead of Russell.

Everything changes so frequently with projected draft position, so I won't rule any possibilities out this early.

Todd "Mother Mary" Marinovich in 1991 to the LA Raiders...No wonder Uncle Al never dipped his wick in the 1st round QB pool again. But until this year, I doubt he had hired an offensive coordinator who had been out of the league for 10 years and was running a bed & breakfast in Idaho either. :lol:

Al doesn't look so hot either...Wonder who might make the draft call if he can not. In any event, if the Raiders season continues as poorly as it has started, there's got to be some recognition even by Al that he needs to do something different because the way he's doing it now sure ain't working.

Regardless, I sure don't see a QB out there who's got the degree of physical tools that Russell has. He shows a lot of poise and pocket presence and has had a couple decent tests this year in big games to continue over from last year. He's accurate with touch and has done well this year w/o much help from the running game. The cannon he's got may need some work to tweak a little of the arm motion out of it but what he does is nowehere near the Byron Leftwich wind-up. Of course, Russell may decide not to enter early.

Quinn, Brohm, Stanton, Troy Smith, Palmer etc..are all pro QB caliber but Russell is just a big freak of nature who does seem to have the right mindset to match his physical tools for success.

I'd like frank okam or Woodley though at 32 ;)

I'd be surprised by a DT pick. I'd be surprised by a DE pick too, though, since Marv & Co. have drafted only 1 D-lineman on Day 1 in 4 years and that was a 3rd.

I get the feeling Woodley will be wishful thinking....not the pick 32 part because that's still very much alive...but the DE picture could change if Lawrence Jackson doesn't enter early and/or no other DE is considered a mid 1st round pick besides maybe Woodley once Adams and Moses are gone. The Rams seem like the most likely team to draft a DE high since contract talks have apparently broken off with Leonard Little with some early franchise tag spew marking his free agency for 2007. That plus their other starting DE Tony Hargrove done got shipped out to the Bills before the trade deadline and they're starting their 4th rounder from this year.

PS,it's about time we use rnd 1 and 2 pick on Dline ^_^

I'd say the high time to have done that was 2004. There's was a bunch of DEs and DTs to pick from. Now it looks like the DT position is at least serviceable w/o jumping the gun on Day 1 IMO.

Another DE in the 2nd if they pick one in the first wouldn be all right, but there's still a fairly important secondary issue to address. Unless the Bengals draft a CB in the 1st -- and even then who knows how a rook will do -- the Bengals will be thin at corner. Ther Bengals should be prepared to use Madieu as CB if they have to and if that's the case, they will need a better FS option than what they have now. So I'd say a S in the 2nd who has interchangeable skills between the safety positions. The best I've seen this year is Kevin Payne of Louisiana-Monroe and he'll be there in the 2nd but probably not the 4th.

Damn if JaMarcus just ain't a pass throwing machine. Another gouging of a defense vs. Fresno State and more to come. The guy's only thrown 4 picks all year and 2 of them were on the receivers. For the vision he's got at his height to survey the field and the poise he's got in the pocket, there's just no one who looks better at the QB position this year. Add the arm and the pinpoint accuracy he's got and he's got to be an early first round no-brainer if he enters early, which I suspect he will since he's redshirted a year and is bound to get a high draft evaluation for early entries.

Not sure how anybody who's watched him could see it different.

"nods" how is he at reading defenses? he's not gonna be another culpeppar is he?

From what I heard on the draft forums doesn't sound like celvin will enter because he wants to finish school.

I think he reads Ds just fine but he had 2 big tests where he didn't get his team over the hump vs. Florida and Auburn. If he had some run game to support him, it be easier for him than to try to win it all on his own. 2 of his picks vs. Florida kinda showed me that he not only reads well but also gives his WRs opps to make plays, which becomes even more important in the NFL. He picked up man coverage on his 4th WR -- a frosh -- for a sideline bomb. The WR didn't get behind the DB but Russell threw an absolutely perfect ball to give the WR a chance to go up and get. Only probably was the DB had more go up and get than the receiver. Another pick was about a 25 yd. middl-in bullet that threaded 4 defenders only to have the ball bounce off of Dwayne Bowe for a pick as he got jacked by Reggie Nelson.

On the whole, Russell is a pure pocket passer who has the strength and feet to elude rush w/o losing his focus downfield. He's not going to tuck it in and go like Pep. He's got great patience and vision in the pocket and audibles more each time I watch him play.

As for Calvin Johnson, he'd be a fool not to enter. You can understand somebody like Leinart who wants to add another national title, but Johnson can always finish school at a later time. Hell, w/ as much coin as he stands to make, he might be able to open his own college.

• 2 months later...
Why in Gods name would the Browns draft a WR??? :blink:

They wouldn't....unless Calvin Johnson is there. If the Browns lose the coin toss, they probably won't have to consider it.

Calvin Johnson would give Cleveland a dimension Braylon lacks with his possession receiver skills and give Braylon more ops because Calvin will command most of the secondary's attention with his ability to also go vertical.

If it were Dwayne Jarrett or Ted Ginn, not a chance....But Calvin here is a whole different critter. They don't come around like him too often.

They'll need more than the RB to have a running threat.

But I believe this mock was done before AP broke his collar bone or whatever is last, most recent injury was. He did well to come back by Oklahoma's bowl game but I wouldn't be too surprised if AP falls out of the Top 10 and Lynch displaces him as the 1st RB off the board.

QB wise for Cleveland, if they had Edwards, Johnson and Winslow, Anthony Wright could probably win for them. And that's the kind of QB they ought to lok for, one that has enough mobility to male some plays happen. Frye would be mobile enough but it makes a lot of sense for the Browns to draft another QB fairly high -- even before RB -- like Troy Smith, Kevin Kolb or Drew Stanton.